WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr refuses to check my lead levels.

Boolit Master

Dr refuses to check my lead levels.

My GP said she wont check my lead. Because it has been normal since i got it back down. I still want to keep checks on it. So is there a way to get them checked besides from the doc? The girls who draw blood. Said the lead testing vials are expensive too.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Tell the DR you are searching for a new DR as she will not check your lead level again as you feel your care is becomming sub par. Ste you will notify the medical board also and the hospital she is connected with.

Boolit Master
    You can change docs, but they really don’t have to do a test just because you ask. I asked my guy and he ran the heavy metals screening, came back at zero, doubt he’ll do it again unless I give him a story about a new industrial job.

Ask if she knows another Doctor who will.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I believe places like LabCorp will do it for about $50. Your insurance won't pay for it without Dr ordering it which is why the Dr won't. Some states require reporting high levels to the state government. There is a website requestatest.com that you can check out for more information.

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. And thanks for the link. I'll ask my urologist too. I see him in a few weeks. Prostate cancer check up. No worries on the cancer for now. Im low level. PSA'S have been going down too. Last one was in the 3's.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned
    I live in California and my Dr. is hesitant to do the test. He says it requires notifying the state. He says that the state then investigates your place of employment for unsafe working conditions.

This state hates lead, which explains all of the lead notifications we have on everything. And the ban on lead hunting ammo.

That ban will soon be expanded under Biden so be ready friends. All you guys who hated Trump and loved Biden are about to get Biden good and hard.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

They report it here too. Mine was 17.9 when i 1st had it tested. Last test it was. 7.2
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

I have mine tested every couple of years. My last Doc would only check it every 2 years as it wouldn't get past the insurance any sooner. My new Doc hasn't said the same thing yet. Every time I get it checked I get a notice from the state informing me my level is higher than the average, but that is as far as it has gone. If they ever ask for for info all I gotta do is tell the truth and say I am a shooter and a reloader.

Boolit Grand Master

A doctor is a skilled contractor, no different than the man pouring your concrete steps. If you are unhappy with this one, get another.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    sounds like it might be time to find a new doctor. I've been through many doctors in my life and I refuse to return to one that will not listen to me or do what might be best for me.
    I know there are a whole bunch of organizations that are getting into at home DIY testing you take your own sample and send it in for diagnosis, not sure if there is one for lead yet but might be worth looking into.

Blood test for lead isn't terribly useful anyhow. Get a hair test, you will learn considerably more and though I got it through my doc you can buy them on Amazon. Send it in and they mail you a detailed report in a couple weeks. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I'm in Michigan. My physician said there was a test category for incidental lead exposure for hobbyists who get exposed to pottery glazes, shooters, stained glass hobbyists, etc. Mine came back below one.

Boolit Master

Below one awesome. I will find a way for sure. Im going to look another Doc too. I asked her if she can order x-rays to see how my hip replacement was doing. My hip doc moved to Utah. But she said why expose myself to x-rays if i don't need them. I now have a new ortho doc. The one who did my quad repair. He said he will check and see how my hip is doing. He asked if i can wait until covid slows down. But if I start having pain. Call and make an appt. The ortho is also a gun enthusiast and a reloader too.
    One round at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    . Im going to look another Doc too. .
    I've had to fire a couple of Doctors and Dentists over the years.

As mentioned- they're contractors.
    They are what I call 'mechanics for people', and like your car mechanic--- they perform a service for pay.
    If you have issues with one, ya find another.

A life long friend told a story about his Dad. He'd had a neighbor and personal friend who was also his Doctor.
    One evening, after a cook out, as they were sitting around enjoying a real expensive cigar-
    The Doc told him that he was sorry that as they'd gotten older, he had to take him off booze, cigarettes, and salt.

Then said, "What are you going to do if I take you off of those fancy cigars"?
    His reply was, "Find another Doctor".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-07-2021 at 11:21 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Doctors are human.

And make mistakes. They also seem to gave zero time to hear "our bullcarp sob stories on how much it hurts"

If i could invent any device it would be one that made the doc feel exactly how much pain im in.

Doctors forget what its like to be a patient. They just want you gone si they can get to thier next appoitment etc.. on a endless loop.

I have had to fire doctors and dentists as they would not listen to me ir not bother to even read a report.

If you do fire your doctor let them know ecactly why.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yeah the days of taking time with the patient. Is a thing of the past. I will get somewhere in my quest. Im not one to give up easy.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm lucky. Well, sort of. I was diagnosed with T1D about 10 years ago at age 43 and found a wonderful endocrinologist who has helped me make sense of this horrible disease.

I have asked him several times over the last 10 years to run lead levels when they draw for the various tests to keep track of how I'm doing. Every time he says "It's your money, spend it how you want". The test cost is $ 11 IIRC.

I have no idea if it gets reported to the State of California or not and frankly don't care.

Boolit Master

I talked to my neighbor about it. She's an RN. She said there is no reason for my doc to refuse the test. She did say to ask my uro too. Lead can affect cancer. Also she said i can go to one of the Geisinger walk in clinics and request it. So now i have an extra option.
    One round at a time.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My current Doc had no problem with a lead test other than an inquisitive "why" . 2.1 by the way .

I told him I was willing to work with him on diet , meds , whatever but there was no compromise on red meat . As a former Montana cattleman he was quick to add "you and me both" .

We tried something new for my BP not good we went back where we were and added to it a little , much better now .

Until now the best doc I ever had was an MD OD he got his Med diploma and draft notice the same day . He spent 2 yr on the mainland in Vietnam and another yr in Japan fixing the stuff he had been duct taping back together for 2 years . Heck of a guy , a real gentle giant type .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast