RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr refuses to check my lead levels.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I just told my doc I was a hobby caster and handled it every weekend and he tested me without any fuss.
    After the test came back, he said my level was 2.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

If you're concerned and your Dr. won't check, tell them that you want it noted in your file that you requested the test and they refused to perform it.
    If they still don't, find another Dr.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master
    Did I miss the list of symptoms that you are experiencing? Maybe your care provider missed that also. Ask for a MRI "just because" and see if you get that.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

My lead was 17.. something when i 1st had her check. It's went down in the 9's after i cleaned up my handling of components. I had one come back in the 11's after the 9's. Last 2 were in the 7's. I was at the Doc today for my blood with drawl for my high red cells count. I asked why she won't do my leads again. Here a container of tubes for it. Is 500.00. And im the only one who ask for lead checks. The gal who takes my blood said too go to a walk in clinic like my neighbor suggested. I had no symptoms that in aware of.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

11 is no problem. 17 isn’t either.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Yeah she said even my higher numbers were anything to be concerned about.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    My GP said she wont check my lead. Because it has been normal since i got it back down. ... the lead testing vials are expensive too.
    My experienced guess is that the doc is limited by your insurance company. Most insurance companies won't pay for ANY lab tests unless there's a legitimate medical reason to do so; it's expensive and, without symptoms, just wanting to check up on anything wouldn't qualify.

BUT, if you tell her you will personally cover the lab costs up front she'll probably help you get checked weekly if you wish. (I seriously doubt any medical ethics board or hospital is going to chastize her for making that call. ??)

Boolit Master
    heres an option that can give your doctor excuse to do expensive accurate lead test

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft....hoC0gEQAvD_BwE

Boolit Grand Master

Find a new one. Refusal of a reasonable test is absurd.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    If you are old and not pro- creating don't worry about it...it is not important
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

This is Obamacare, we don't need no stinking tests!

Moderator Emeritus

Offer to pay for it yourself without insurance if you really want it. With no symptoms and improved handling why worry about it?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

If you donate blood, it will be checked.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    If you donate blood, it will be checked.
    Do they really check for things like lead in donated blood? I was sure they tested for HIV and probably hepatitis and maybe other infectious diseases, but I always wondered just how carefully they checked for much else.

Banned

i doubt it because when my levels were high and i was taking chelating meds i had given blood in years previous to then and never had a rejection. I think maybe when they convert it to plazma which they do with most of it maybe its removed. But then im not a doctor and dont play one on tv.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i doubt it because when my levels were high and i was taking chelating meds i had given blood in years previous to then and never had a rejection. I think maybe when they convert it to plazma which they do with most of it maybe its removed. But then im not a doctor and dont play one on tv.
    In most years, I sponsor a blood drive at the school I work in, so I give at least a couple of times a year and am always amazed at all the screening questions. It always occurred to me someone could just lie if they were so inclined and no one would know, surely they must put it through some kind of testing. Still, I guess if you were in danger of bleeding to death, you'd be willing to take the risk, I suppose.

I think when I go see my doctir this Summer like I do, I'm going to ask about the lead test and see. No real reason to believe I'm high, but I should know.

Boolit Master
    I just cut up an old crane ,mostly rust and dirt ,but the last few bits the oxy blew out huge clouds of white smoke...I assumed zinc paint build up thick as it was used on a barge.....but Ive been coughing ever since ,so now I think it was thick lead paint was making the fumes....Still ,no going back ,so I cant see any point in getting tested.

Banned
    Did you thank your Dr. For the new timepiece? He just told you it's time to find a new doctor.

Boolit Bub
    It takes time, patients and a clear understanding to get a good crew of doctors. I have fired 1 cardiologist, 2 pain doctors and one neurologist. I told each one face to face why I was finding a new Dr. They forget they work for you.
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Boolit Master

She did the test finally. The lab pickup guy gave them some test vials supposedly. I did call the insurance co. And asked where to get my lead checked. I told them what was going on with my G.P. So..........
    One round at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast