Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 Super

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    For high performance with 38 super you need a ramped barrel. Stay away from the Colt factory guns, they have non-ramp barrels that don't completely support the brass.
    If I were invest in a 38 super 1911/2011, I'd go high end or custom made by a good gunsmith. $2000 to $3000 for the complete package with comp, red dot, and 10 high cap mags.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    That is what drew me to the Sig barrel (besides price). I had read this which was informative on ramped barrels:
    https://www.guntechtips.com/rampedbbls.htm
    And one on 1911 Internet Thread Archive:
    http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/index.htm

Thanks for the info.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Have been shooting very warm loads in non-ramped Colts for 40 years... Is a ramped barrel better..absolutely but it isn't necessary unless you are a Gamer who has to wring every FPS out of a load.

Boolit Master
    wv109323 makes a real good point that will save you a lot of money... The standard GM style sight cut really limits what one can use for a rear sight especially. A Novak cut gives one a WIDE range of fixed, adjustable, tritium and fiber optic options. A dovetail front sight cut allows easy change out of many different styles and heights of blades...would not buy a 1911 without it unless one is just looking for a nostalgic looking 1911...

Boolit Master
    ..was just wondering...have you looked at the Caspian 1911 website... A lot of people I know have built guns from the ground up using Caspian frames and slides...

Moderator Emeritus

That was probably the most referred to 1911 frames from my research. I had asked a question and for a response, "Walt" just sent me three pdf's on basically pricing. Like I said, luckily for me a lot is out of stock now so hopefully will have the pitfalls mapped out beforehand. I have thought about just getting a nice factory 38 super but I really like the idea of going from almost scratch. I dont have any machinist tools and have a bad neck/back and some nerve damage in my right hand so have to be realistic on what I can really do. Besides, researching means I am not spending money - yet
    Ron
    Edit: Was also looking at JEM guns for their frames. They seem to have decent reviews also.

Caspian has Sub-Company called Foster, or maybe Foster is the parent company. The Foster items are Caspian Blemishes. I have put four 1911’s together with Foster frames. The blemish on each was undetectable.

You can order the frame with or without the ramp cut. Just tell them which barrel you are using.

While a 1911 framed .38 Super is a more traditional pistol I've a SIG P220 and an EAA Witness that I love. Both are accurate and well made pistols. And the Witness has an 18 round magazine capacity, which is a nice feature. I never figured out why it wasn't more popular as it is essentially a 9mm with much more powder capacity and with the proper bullets a hard hitting cartridge.

Moderator Emeritus

I had never heard of the EAA Witness before. Interesting as I had not even considered a double stack before. There have been a lot of thoughtful suggestions made that I had not even considered like the double stack or the Novak sight cut. I am really getting into this build and have decided to push my abilities. I really like my stippling on my Sig and will be doing that myself on this build. Have also been looking at the early Colt charcoal bluing and other methods and even considering trying it myself. Way way way back in my head thinking about trying some engraving but some nerve damage in my right hand would be an issue. Might as well go for the brass ring before I get to far down the road. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Keep em coming.
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12