Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hog Hunt w/500 S&W

Boolit Bub
    Well, it turned out to be an absolutely fun time off the clock with a bunch of knuckle heads and awesome weather between 2 rainy days. 9 guys in 3 trucks with enthusiasm as nobody has been really doing anything with the covid.... google maps has no idea how fast you can make it from almost central NH to northern PA. Props to the folks at Tioga Boar Hunting. Very laid back atmosphere, guides were fun to spend time with and food was awesome. Sleeping quarters are dated but hey, its hunt camp that began in 1966(not that dated though). Depending on the species you hunt, it can be easy to a bit difficult. We hunted "maintainer/eating" hogs. Averaged about 180# dressed. The area we hunted was on 160 acres, but they have many other parcels for different species. Our local Sasquatch has issues being pedestrian due to injury so 3 of us hung out with him while the others stalked. Luckily, they pushed the pigs our way. Down the hill they came and we kind of had easy pickings as they aren't the smartest animals when on feeding spots. I shot first as the pigs can react differently and all the others were with rifle. All of us were 1 and done. I Practiced diligently sniping 2 liter bottles at 50 yards and closing my spread on paper targets on a monopod. Worth every cast and load. Got the laughing "adda boy" shoulder slap from Paulley, the guide, for a fine hit. 9 guys all did great, several had never taken an animal before. We all agreed it may be a yearly thing. Worth every laugh, beer, too much rum and the not 7 hour drive google stated. Would highly recommend if you want to try something different. Cheers all
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2891.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	280570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2886.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	280571
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Master
    Here's hoping the hog cooperates. I once worked with an Army NCO whose uncle owned a ranch in eastern Oregon, and had a bunch of unwanted hogs on his ranch. The NCO took a 308 rifle on his hog hunt, and his uncle told him to sit by a climbable tree. He shot a large boar, saw blood running from both sides of its chest, and the boar charged. The hunter dropped his rifle and climbed the tree. He showed the rifle to me, and it had a groove in stock which could have passed for a slice with a wood turning gouge. The NCO said the boar was trying to cut the tree down when it finally bled to death. He said he would be carrying a 44 mag backup into the tree if he hunted those evil pigs again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb&j View Post
    Well, it turned out to be an absolutely fun time off the clock with a bunch of knuckle heads and awesome weather between 2 rainy days. 9 guys in 3 trucks with enthusiasm as nobody has been really doing anything with the covid.... google maps has no idea how fast you can make it from almost central NH to northern PA. Props to the folks at Tioga Boar Hunting. Very laid back atmosphere, guides were fun to spend time with and food was awesome. Sleeping quarters are dated but hey, its hunt camp that began in 1966(not that dated though). Depending on the species you hunt, it can be easy to a bit difficult. We hunted "maintainer/eating" hogs. Averaged about 180# dressed. The area we hunted was on 160 acres, but they have many other parcels for different species. Our local Sasquatch has issues being pedestrian due to injury so 3 of us hung out with him while the others stalked. Luckily, they pushed the pigs our way. Down the hill they came and we kind of had easy pickings as they aren't the smartest animals when on feeding spots. I shot first as the pigs can react differently and all the others were with rifle. All of us were 1 and done. I Practiced diligently sniping 2 liter bottles at 50 yards and closing my spread on paper targets on a monopod. Worth every cast and load. Got the laughing "adda boy" shoulder slap from Paulley, the guide, for a fine hit. 9 guys all did great, several had never taken an animal before. We all agreed it may be a yearly thing. Worth every laugh, beer, too much rum and the not 7 hour drive google stated. Would highly recommend if you want to try something different. Cheers all
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2891.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	280570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2886.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	280571
    Looks like you had a great time!!! Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Always wanted to hear from somebody who actually went to Tioga. I used to see them at the Harrisburg show every year. Glad you had good time. Must have been good if you are contemplating an annual return. thanks for the report.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a lot of bacon, very nice. I ended up going there this past Monday instead of Adam Hill Preserve. Was also pretty happy with the setup. I didn't hunt but both my sons shot a hog. I also thought all the people there were super nice and professional. I liked the hunting lodge. And the butchering service they have was top notch. This was my first time going to something like this and was happy with how it turned out. Took us most of the day to get 2 hogs, was harder than I thought it might be. Was nice we had the place to ourselves so were able to roam all over chasing them, put over 6 miles on the boots. Kids liked seeing all the other game there also.

Boolit Bub
    Happy to hear of others enjoying their services. We stayed at the lodge Friday eve but vacated as they had 20 city folk coming in. They allowed us to keep our kill there and pick it up Sunday morning before leaving for home. Their assessment of needing a 64 quart cooler per hog was a bit off. We had a bunch of huge coolers and still had to bag a bunch in the bed. Luckily it was cool for the drive home at mach II. Picking up the rest of meat tomorrow as we took our quartered parts to a local guy as there was certainly not enough time for them to process all that was going on. I'm not splitting a room with my regular working buddy though. I see why his wife wakes up in a ****ty mood many times.....snore much bud?
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I've seen oodles killed with 22 Long Rifle, pretty sure whatever you've got cooking from your rig will do the job!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Exactly! considering I’ve heard read insane stories about folks taking out Alaskan brown bear with a 500 Smith & Wesson , I would imagine that 500 Smith & Wesson probably take out three or four 150 lb hogs standing end to end! LOL They’re really not as tough as people think they are. I’ve seen more taken out with a 22lr, 22mag, or 223 at great distances than anything else. But in fairness that was in Florida I have no idea what the hog hunting conditions are in Pennsylvania.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    I hope these guys do a better job keeping their hogs inside the fence than the place in Michigan's central UP. They set up a hog hunting operation, supposedly trees fell on the fence, and now there are hogs loose in the UP. Hopefully the wolves will kill them because I've seen the trail cam pictures from a couple years ago of a sounder plowing snow for their little ones in late February. Just what the few deer that are left up there need- more competition...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12