MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog Hunt w/500 S&W

Boolit Bub

Hog Hunt w/500 S&W

Hello all. With generosity from the contractor I do carpentry for, I and the crew of 9 have been gifted a hog hunt somewhere in Pa. I purchased a 500 s&w a bit ago and have been having fun casting, powder coating and shooting this beast. I have never hunted with a handgun and am curious how my loads might do on a hog that will be around 175-200 pounds. I'm shooting the Lee 440gr gc currently sitting on 13gr of Unique. Hoping to get the chrono out tomorrow to see what they are actually doing but weather/timing has been an issue as of late. I've got 2 weeks to figure things out but also don't want to waste my time hurriedly making loads to try to test in cold weather. Thanks for any and all info. Come on Spring!!!
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Master
    If it shoots great and is running over 1000fps, you would be good to go, I think.

Boolit Buddy
    Where at in PA, I'm planning one at Adam Hill soon.

Boolit Master
    I've seen oodles killed with 22 Long Rifle, pretty sure whatever you've got cooking from your rig will do the job!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

I've shot a few hogs in southern Arkansas. A few have come in during the day, but most of them we're at dusk, or during the night.
    I use Moultrie green motion sensor lights to let me know when something is on the bait. I also have high powered green flashlights on my rifles, and prefer a scope with a lighted reticle. Black crosshairs on a black pig at night is very frustrating.
    If you need to use the green light on your weapon, point it away from them, turn it on, then swing the light on them so you don't spook them.
    Hogs follow their own rules and are hard to pattern.
    FWIW

If you are shooting a 440 grain bullet, excuse me, I meant to say boolit, and it's running anywhere from 750 to what ever you can hold on to, it will work. Shot placement is the key, just put it in the boiler room and the boolit will do the job.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Not exactly sure but I'll certainly let you know after the hunt and the experience.

Thank you for the info gents. Ran some through the chrony yesterday with 12.8 gr. Averaged 979 fps. Some clicked along a little over 1k. Going to up it to 13 and probably call it good as its already a stout push now. Accuracy seems good at this point with an ultra dot on it. More practice and sighting in from further distances and hope to make good on a hog.
    This Doesn't Suck!

If a 165gr 40SW will do it about 950, your's will be fine. if you have a 200 something mould, faster/flatter shooting for longer range. Expect 50-75yd shots. They run from gut shots, head/neck or behind the elbow work. Top of back spines them, forward of shoulder and you are into the shield that is tough and gristle - hard to penetrate and not much underneath to damage. Oh, they duck the head when they hear it coming, body doesn't move. Instinctive fight mode, even deer do it. Deer stand tall on alert but prepare to jump by lowering head.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb&j View Post
    Not exactly sure but I'll certainly let you know after the hunt and the experience.

Thank you for the info gents. Ran some through the chrony yesterday with 12.8 gr. Averaged 979 fps. Some clicked along a little over 1k. Going to up it to 13 and probably call it good as its already a stout push now. Accuracy seems good at this point with an ultra dot on it. More practice and sighting in from further distances and hope to make good on a hog.
    Great please do, and good luck on the hunt!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    The old man always said,Don't worry about the lions,tigers and bears in the woods.

It's a pack of wizzed off hogs that will try to cut you're legs out from underneath you and then gut you. Carry a big-bore sidearm !

Boolit Buddy
    .22 CB short @ 710 FPS will kill hogs dead as a stump if properly placed. Don’t over think it.

Vendor Sponsor

I have never hunted with a handgun and am curious how my loads might do on a hog that will be around 175-200 pounds. I'm shooting the Lee 440gr gc currently sitting on 13gr of Unique.
    If you lay prone on the ground and shoot, you will skewer 3-4 of them clean through if they are in the boolit's path and happen to be lined up just right.

Ran some through the chrony yesterday with 12.8 gr. Averaged 979 fps. Some clicked along a little over 1k. Going to up it to 13 and probably call it good as its already a stout push now.
    I don't know where you are getting Unique data for a 400gr boolit, Alliant doesn't list ANY loads for Unique in the 500. Usually if you notice a conspicuous absence of powder in any given caliber, it's because it's not recommended or it's unsafe.

Personally, one of my cast in stone rules for handloads are that I will NOT EVER seat a heavy for caliber boolit over a charge of fast powder. It's just asking for trouble. Using Unique, 231, Bullseye, 700x, AA#5, even Herco and HS-6 under a 300+ gr boolit in a big bore is a NO NO even though you can find some load data for such, although the velocity is never very high so that means the particular load is not pushing the envelope, BUT.... What happens if you get distracted while loading and over-charge a case? There is NO room for error, where with slower powders you get a higher case fill which automatically reduces the chance of a double charge, and you usually have more velocity with slower powders, it just makes a lot more sense all the way around IMHO to match up the boolit weight with the burn rate of the powder you want to use.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-09-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

In “Load Data” they have some John Taffin loads using a 440 gr cast boolit and all are 10.0 grains of Unique. They all seem to be in the 850 to 900 FPS range. I would guess they would be end to end or straight through on most North American animals. That’s a BIG hole! Things don’t do well with 1/2 inch holes in them! Tim

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Found out its going to be Tioga Boar Hunting. Been told to expect on average 50 yard shots.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If you lay prone on the ground and shoot, you will skewer 3-4 of them clean through if they are in the boolit's path and happen to be lined up just right.

I don't know where you are getting Unique data for a 400gr boolit, Alliant doesn't list ANY loads for Unique in the 500. Usually if you notice a conspicuous absence of powder in any given caliber, it's because it's not recommended or it's unsafe.
    I can certainly appreciate your worries. I'm not one to play unsafe with controlled explosions up close and personal. I got my data from 4th edition of the Lyman cast boolit handbook. The book states a starting load of 12 grains which I did start with. Their info also states a max load of 17.5 grains. Shot the 13 grains today and averaged right at 1100. No primer issues, cases emptied easily with no structural fatigue showing. In going with what you were stating on powder speeds, most of the other powders were/are written in the range of 27-31 grains such as Lil Gun, 4100, IMR4227 to name but a few. Again, thanks for the words of warning, it could save someones life if the homework is not done properly.
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    If a 165gr 40SW will do it about 950, your's will be fine. if you have a 200 something mould, faster/flatter shooting for longer range. Expect 50-75yd shots. They run from gut shots, head/neck or behind the elbow work. Top of back spines them, forward of shoulder and you are into the shield that is tough and gristle - hard to penetrate and not much underneath to damage. Oh, they duck the head when they hear it coming, body doesn't move. Instinctive fight mode, even deer do it. Deer stand tall on alert but prepare to jump by lowering head.
    Very Helpful information. Finding the shooting stick to be quite the good accessory. Will be a nice change from chasing birds.
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Found out its going to be Tioga Boar Hunting. Been told to expect on average 50 yard shots.

I can certainly appreciate your worries. I'm not one to play unsafe with controlled explosions up close and personal. I got my data from 4th edition of the Lyman cast boolit handbook. The book states a starting load of 12 grains which I did start with. Their info also states a max load of 17.5 grains. Shot the 13 grains today and averaged right at 1100. No primer issues, cases emptied easily with no structural fatigue showing. In going with what you were stating on powder speeds, most of the other powders were/are written in the range of 27-31 grains such as Lil Gun, 4100, IMR4227 to name but a few. Again, thanks for the words of warning, it could save someones life if the homework is not done properly.
    I looked at that outfit also, looked nice, just a further drive for me. Let's hear how it all turns out.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh fun!!! If any of your crew drop out I'm available, have a 500 and can do carpentry ;^)
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Man
    Dang I am too late for this. Would have liked to have helped.

Boolit Master

I have taken many blacktail bucks with a 44 Magnum.
    I hunted with open sights and limited my shots to 50 yards or less.
    With properly placed shots they just tipped over.
    I`m sure you will do well with your 500.
    I have 3 words of advice, Practice. Practice. Practice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good luck. Hope to see photos and hear about your experiences. Also, want to hear about what you think of the place / facilities / etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast