Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food Dehydrating

Boolit Buddy
    You've got be real careful on the Greenland shark I'v seen the locals cold/smoking it on racks inside....sun rooms seem to do a good job. they open the Jar is it when its absorbed all the smoked let it ferment......if the even hint it new I also see where local were ......uh I uh walk away at a brisk pace. Newzeland shark build up a highly toxic content of urea and trimethylamine oxide in the shark's system caused by its utter lack of a urinary system. levels have been detected 5 time the amount to kill an adult. if when in country I alway bring things for the cook in exchange for safe food!

'deposing
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6mm win lee View Post
    Does anyone do it? It doesn't look too difficult but is it worth it as a prepper compared to just purchasing stuff?
    I replied to this thread before and wrote of using the oven to dehydrate foods.
    Now I have found several articles about baking various fruits in the oven using less time and energy than dehydrating,
    I'll try this with apples, peaches, and bananas.
    I'll let you know what I find out.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Buddy
    We dehydrate quite a bit but this last year, we got a freeze dryer. Awesome. Meat, Fish, Vegetables, Meals, Fruit 20 year shelf life with 90+% nutrition. Moisture is down below 2%. Its expensive, but it works extremely well.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    We dehydrate quite a bit but this last year, we got a freeze dryer. Awesome. Meat, Fish, Vegetables, Meals, Fruit 20 year shelf life with 90+% nutrition. Moisture is down below 2%. Its expensive, but it works extremely well.
    Does it take a long time to do as some "emergency food" providers claim?
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    A cycle can take anywhere from 18 to 50 hours depending on the quantity of water in the products. It's not like you have to sit there and wait for it so put in your stuff and continue with your day. It's expensive up front, a bit slow and the throughput is not enormous, but the quality of your finished product is great. A bit of discipline and imagination and pretty soon you have a good pile of high quality, tasty, long lasting food. We have made big batches of venison spaghetti which is our favorite. A cup of boiling water and 5 minutes and it tastes like it just came off the stove. Our neighbors have chickens so we have been freeze drying excess eggs. Works awesome and is easy to use. There is no end of interesting things to use it for. There is a channel on Youtube called Retired at 40 I think. He has some of the best advice and processes I have seen. We have about 3 acres of garden so it gets used a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12