Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Vintage 1903 44 W.H.V. Samples

Vintage 1903 44 W.H.V. Brass Case Samples

I am very happy to have been able to "acquire" a few items last night. It will be a few weeks before I actually get them but wanted to share them anyway.

First is the item I wanted pretty bad. It is a 1903 (first year offered) 44 Winchester High Velocity Sample Brass pack. I hope to learn more about this as I go. I'll add detailed photos in a few weeks.
    Attachment 279094

Second is a Winchester-Western "High Pressure" Proof Load box. Unsure of the year but looks to be sometime around the 1970's. 1979 is when Winchester switched from a ball pistol powder to a flake pistol powder for the 44-40. Will be interesting to investigate.
    Attachment 279095

Third is a "Action Proving Dummy" box of about the same timeframe.
    Attachment 279096
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 03-06-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wow, you found some history in a box. They are really cool.I just recently picked up a box of Winchester New#4 shotgun primers and can't stop looking at them .the 44 WCF is one great round

Boolit Buddy
    Savvy Jack:

Your first photo is not really a sample set, it's called a draw set. It starts with a planchet, which appears to be missing, then each succeeding longer or more finished piece represents the next step in the drawing out of the cartridge case, until it is trimmed to length, finished, and then loaded. Draw sets are quite scarce, and very collectible. Nice catch! To have the box it came in is a plus. I have a DEN 41 USGI 30-06 draw set, just don't know for sure where it is right now....................

You bet Jim!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by relics6165 View Post
    Savvy Jack:

Your first photo is not really a sample set, it's called a draw set. It starts with a planchet, which appears to be missing, then each succeeding longer or more finished piece represents the next step in the drawing out of the cartridge case, until it is trimmed to length, finished, and then loaded. Draw sets are quite scarce, and very collectible. Nice catch! To have the box it came in is a plus. I have a DEN 41 USGI 30-06 draw set, just don't know for sure where it is right now....................
    relics6165, You are correct, dumb me just couldn't think of the words at the time....lol!!!!!

I am certainly glad I was able to get it. I hated to pass it up figuring I may never even see another one.

I certainly have no idea how many "pieces" or how many "step" samples there should be. I did notice the planchet (I did not know that name) was missing. I'll just pop one out of an electrical box and pain it gold!!!

I do appreciate the correct description, much appreciated!

Boolit Master
    GONRA is really impressed by Savvy Jacks' Draw Set, etc.! Green with envy....
    Wish I had even ONE draw set!