Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Case lube

Banned
    The last time I ran out I robbed the mink oil out of my shoe shine box, works great for finger lubing.

Lately, in this climate, I've been having to size more already primed brass so I use lee water base lube, put a peanut size dab in a 2-quart plastic container with a lid, fill 2/3 with brass and shake until all have a light haze. when done sizing, I roll the brass on a rag dampened with water and a drop of dish soap, then on a towel --- good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cheapskate, like 'tight wad', is such an ugly word, I try not to use it.
    I prefer 'frugal'.
    I prefer “poor”, it’s more realistic.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I prefer “poor”, it’s more realistic.

Slim
    I relate to that.

Sharp Shooter Royal Lube
    I bought a 4oz jar maybe five years ago and I am about half way through it. I use for 44WCF, 38-55 Winchester, 45-70 Govt. and 6.5X55 Swedish . I lube by hand/finger and run 2 or three un-lubed cases then a lubed case. Tumble in corn cobb afterwards. The cost ($9) for 4oz may seem high, but for a decades supply I am not going to bother with making my own.

Boolit Buddy
    Imperial sizing die wax is the best case lube i have ever used and is worth spending 10 bucks for the thousands of cases a tiny will lube. That being said, I have lubed thousands of cases satisfactorily with Ivory soap. Half a bar dissolved in a cup of water makes a nice consistency. After sizing cases clean up with a dump rag.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

I like the Unique case lube. Also have a pill bottle with lead shot and a tube of lock graphite to dip the case necks in.

Boolit Buddy
    I was specifically looking for a spray on lube. I used the liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol in a 1:6 lanolin: alcohol. It worked fantastic! Thanks to all who helped as this will probably take the place of 5 $15 cans of hornady one shot!
    Last edited by Frosty Boolit; 03-13-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Lemon Pledge - the real stuff

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Lemon Pledge - the real stuff
    For True or are you just us ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    A few drops of 30 weight oil in a zip lock plastics bag. Knead the bag, and then size. I wipe the shoulder and neck of bottleneck cartridges to avoid hydraulic lube dents.

I don't own a tumbler. All my brass is hand washed with dish soap and vinegar. A broom stick(agitator), bucket, and industrial kitchen colander come in handy when washing large batches.

I don't worry about wet brass. I have a lot of brass in all the cartridges that I shoot. When the sized box of brass gets low, I process a large batch of fired brass. I often don't load it till months after it has been washed, it always has plenty of time to dry out. In the summer time my bass gets a suntan.

JM

I was looking into case lube a few months back. I spent a fair amount of time watching Youtube videos and reading online. While there are many options, the most popular was pure liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol. I ordered both online but have yet to mix any of it up to see for myself. The mix ratio was 1 Oz lanolin to 10 Oz alcohol. You may live in an area where both are readily available. If so, I would do some comparison shopping online and go with what works best for you. I'm in a rural area with little choice but to order online.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

I still like the old school sticky case lube.
    In nearly 60 years of reloading I have not stuck one case using it.
    I roll cases on a lube pad and wipe them down with a rag after they are sized.
    They are them tumbled in walnut shells to remove an lube that is left.
    My formula is 50/50 Motor Honey-STP and light machine oil.

Banned

I only finger lube cases, never could get used to the idea of mass spraying them. I have been using ordinary mink oil for several years now and it is the best stuff I have found.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Bag Balm here. The RCBS case lube was repackaged STP.
    Yeah, any of the several Bag Balms are very good; it's a fine case lube and it's great for our skin too! Lanolin is the effective ingredient and any way we can get it is good.

STP by any name and in any form --- Lord, I do HATE to have that sticky, gooey, messy stuff on my cases, hands and bench top! It's no better than the much cleaner and easier to handle waxes such as Imperial, Unique, Sno-Pruff, Mink Oil, Kiwi neutral shoe wax, etc. I tossed my nasty original case lube pad and STP type oils away forty years ago and have never looked back.

Fact is, stuck case "lube failures" are almost always application failures. Seems many folk lube the upper case body very well (but it's not much needed there) instead of the lower case body where lube is desperately needed.

The extra force required to insert an improperly lubed case into a sizing die is our only feedback to take it out and start over; ignore that warning and it's stuck case remover time!

Boolit Bub
    I'll second the comments regarding Imperial Die Wax... I've had my tin for a LONG time and it works very well. Takes very, very little per case.

Boolit Master

I use Hornady lube and a lube pad. Lube is less than $5.00 and I have lubed about 5000 .223 cases and have 2/3 of a bottle left.

lanolin and alcohol

google — “case lube for cheap ********” for the recipe

i clean it off by dry tumbling in tiny 20/40grit corncob media

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    A member that has passed now turned me on to a mix of lanolin / Vaseline melted together that is a little thinner than imperial wax but is a fantastic case lube . I use it on a pad or a dab on my fingers it seems like a 1/2 pint will last forever . Now my imperial wax will probably last me a lifetime .
    As a spray lube the homemade lanolin / alcohol takes care of all my strait wall sizing before polishing .

Boolit Master
    I smear Imperial Sizing Wax onto a clean RCBS lube pad.
    Roll a case across the pad, size the case and wipe off the lube on that case with a paper towel.

I found I used much less lube by smearing the Wax on the lube pad than directly lubing the cases with my fingers.
    If the pad starts to feel dry I just rub a finger around on the pad to redistribute the Wax that’s on the pad.
    In a few months I’ll be finishing off the first can I bought in 2005.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 04-10-2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Spelling & grammar

I've never had a stuck case in some 35 years of handloading. I started with the Lee case lube in the tube, applying it with a small dab between my thumb and forefinger case by case by case...

Enter Hornady One Shot... what a time saver, and again, never a stuck case. But now that stuff is pushing $17 a can. No way... that's just ridiculous.

So I ordered 99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin and will start using that when my last can of One Shot is gone. I also ordered some industrial grade spray bottles as the cheaper ones here in the local stores don't last long at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast