MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Case lube

Boolit Bub
    Pure lanolin. Not mixed with alcohol.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
    Hornady Unique lube here too. So little needed and goes on so thin. I'll often rub the first couple cases instead of dipping again and what's on your fingers is good for another 4-5 cases. The tub I've had for at least 15yrs and looks to be about 4 oz is still 2/3 full will last the rest of my life. Can't beat it!
    I actually think the RCBS case lube is superior when I compared it to Unique. I was sizing bullets down through a NOE sizing die. And it was definitely seemed easier with the RCBS lube. However I see no difference when sizing brass. The Unique is good too. I dont think I could use that small tub in my lifetime. Ive also been using the same 2 bottles of RCBS for so long I cant remember. Its cheap also.

Boolit Master
    There has always been a lot more agonizing about case sizing lube than it deserves.

First, all commercial case lubes work very well when used intelligently; nothing works very well if it's use incorrectly.

Second, there is a dizzying collection of case lube substitutes that work just as well as anything marketed for the job.

Third, there is a wide range of effective mixtures of this and that being used by different individuals. That's possible because the mixture ratios are not critical.

We should apply our lube of choice by the best method of application for that specific type of lube; rolling on a pad, spraying or by fingering each case as it's picked up to be sized. (The STP/RCBS greasy mess does not lend itself to spraying, Imperial/waxes don't apply with pads very well, OneShot/sprays don't transfer from fingers to cases very well.)

I just started a jar of Fiebeins ? mink oil. I put some on a homemade pad and roll. Either way, I don't think it can be beat and a LOT there

Boolit Mold
    Ive tried rcbs, lee, redding, lanolin/alcohol, horny unique but never really liked them. I stayed with Lee for years but recently tried something new (to me). Royal Case lube by Sharp Shootr, the makers of wipe out cleaner. This stuff is awesome. I got the paste, pump, and aerosol. I can put 30+ cases in a bowl and 1 pump of lube and shake them up and size. 1 pump is plenty. No waiting for it to dry. Super slick with noticeably less effort. It wipes off the case easier and cleaner than anything Ive ever used and the case is dry and smooth to the touch. The can says it leaves a non corrosive film on case and in dies. Never thought I'd be impressed by a lube but this stuff impresses me. Oh, non toxic and the smell is pleasing to me.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Roll pad and STP oil treatment residue from oil changes .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I use canola oil, sprayed on a paper towel then get my fingers a bit oily and smear a light film over the case. I’ve resized full power 7 mm Mag brass this way and it works just fine. It always helps to have tight chambers, too.

Boolit Buddy
    To each his own but I learned 40 years ago to despise the sticky oil/pad case lubing method. Nothing has changed my mind. After the Rcbs branded STP I used the Lee water-soluble stuff for a time and it worked well. Once I found Imperial I stopped looking. For convenience, ease of use and clean-off and lack of mess I have not found anything better. But alas, I ran out of Imperial and needed lube quick so bought a tin of Unique locally. It IS Not equal to Imperial in my experience. Had some heavy forming to do recently and struggled until I just finger-applied lanolin.

I too have tried others, sticking with Imperial. I have 2 tins, may get passed on to my Grandson?

Boolit Master
    Plain old pan sporay coating works great. A bit on a piece of paper towel for individual cases or a quick pass for cases in quatity. Just a trace amount will do. I wash them with hot water, oven cleaner and Dawn to get them squaky clean and shiny afterwards, but a handful of cases I just wipe off.

Boolit Master

I use Kiwi leather conditioner paste.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    We have several commercial case lubes and many substitutes that work very well.

My first case lube (in 1965) was Lyman's STP, same as RCBS and other's STP. STP lubes well but it's the worst, messiest, nastiest and most agravating stuff imaginable to use and it promotes lube dents on case shoulders.

It took a couple of years for me to finally try something else - ANYTHING else! - but when I did, I immediately tossed my nasty old lube pads and STP away and have never looked back.

I've found that all commercial and many substitute case lubes other than STP work equally well and much cleaner if/when they are used correctly!

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone else tried Lyman Quick Slick? I have not had very good luck with it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax111 View Post
    Has anyone else tried Lyman Quick Slick? I have not had very good luck with it.
    Try letting it completely dry to the touch before sizing, your luck will probably get a lot better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234