RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Where do I go?

Boolit Man

Where do I go?

I have been reloading off and on since the 70's.
    I used to be in the automotive industry and wheel weights were everywhere.
    I've been away from reloading for awhile and now find that wheel weights are recycled, and not even lead!
    I would like to start loading soft loads for my .45/70 and .30-06 and I'm reading about how cast bullets are being hard to find.
    It got me thinking, I should ask the guys that are doing it all the time!
    Where do you all go for 300-350 gr. 457, and 150 gr. 308 already cast bullets?
    I don't want to get back into the casting thing, I'm not even sure where all my molds are.
    Thanks, Mike
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Missouri Bullet Company

You could strike a deal with a friend that casts. I have heard of deals where lead is given as trade for ready to load bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mike britton View Post
    It got me thinking, I should ask the guys that are doing it all the time!
    Where do you all go for 300-350 gr. 457, and 150 gr. 308 already cast bullets?
    I don't want to get back into the casting thing, I'm not even sure where all my molds are.
    Thanks, Mike
    Um... we cast them, we usually don't buy them, but I guess Google would be your friend in finding cast bullet manufacturers?
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    You could also post a WTB (want to buy) thread in the swapping and selling section with what you’re looking for and quantity. See if anyone has and is willing to sell to you.

Boolit Grand Master

Buffalo Arms company has the 45 cal you want cast from 20-1. Not sure if they have 30 cal or not.

On a side note a couple moulds ladle pot and burner would pay for itself pretty quick, if you have a source of lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    Missouri Bullet Company
    I'll second this. I have gotten a few shipments from them before I started casting, and they shot well for me.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Banned
    If you buy cast boolits online they will usually a lot harder than you want/need.

Boolit Man
    I have no source for lead, I tried the local indoor range, they have a person who comes and cleans their backstops for the lead.
    I have the tools, I don't want to cast. I have enough brain damage from several concussions as it is.
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike britton View Post
    I have no source for lead, I tried the local indoor range, they have a person who comes and cleans their backstops for the lead.
    I have the tools, I don't want to cast. I have enough brain damage from several concussions as it is.
    Then I would go with the post here in swapping and selling or Missouri bullets. I tried them once to see if I wanted a die in a bullet they made. Nice people to deal with and they worked great for my testing.

Boolit Master
    Mike: Just something to remember: when reloading with cast bullets you need to give the case mouth just enough flare so that the bullets will start without shaving lead. You don't have to do this with jacketed bullets. You said that you were away from reloading for a while, so I was just putting this out there. Also, if you crimp your cases, it's better with cast bullets to do the seating and crimping as separate operations so that this won't shave lead either.

Boolit Bub

If you have any soft lead you can powder coat them and shoot them pretty darn fast, pretty much "j-word" velocities. Another option is to buy a bulk of alloy the hardness you are looking for from a supplier like Rotometals. You might be able to go into a bulk purchase with some reloaders in your area.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    You could also post a WTB (want to buy) thread in the swapping and selling section with what you’re looking for and quantity. See if anyone has and is willing to sell to you.
    2nd this - that has worked for me when I needed stuff.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

You got moulds and casting gear but no desire to use it, least you're honest. Any desire to swap it for ready to load lead bullets? I for one would be interested in such a deal. I like casting, and with a baby, I'm short on money for more gear normally. I expect there are others here that'd be willing to help out too.

Boolit Master
    You got a lot of good answers.

These days it is difficult to find bullets of any type. Normally I'd just direct you to look for bulk bullets from a place like Midway. "Hard cast" bullets made for the .30-30 work great as low/reduced vel loads in the .30-06. Usually they are 165gn flat nose bullets. They do not have gas checks.

If you want different shapes/weights then I'd look at Montana Bullet Works. They have a nice selection for each of the calibers they cast for.

Neither of them have bullets right now so it is kind of a moot point.

If you need some now then take one of these guys up on their offers.

Boolit Master

Sent a private message.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

In addition to all the good advice above, here's a list of folks in the business of selling cast boolitz;
    https://www.1911forum.com/threads/on...urces.1016766/
    Deplorable infidel