Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun shot for bullets

Boolit Master
    It's odd that you can't sell hard #4 on here. If I was still able to mess with lead I would buy it in a heartbeat for loading BP Brass shells for my old single shot 20 gauge (#4 is great for coon and possum hunts). But alas the oncologist and thus the wife have banned me from directly handling lead anymore. I can only tell you that in my experience other posters are correct. #1 it is worth more as shot, #2 it doesn't typically cast well, and #3 depending on when and who made it it could have graphite, arsenic, leftover antifreeze, etc coating it. Even as trade you could probably find somebody to swap you actual tin/antimony for it and that would be a heck of alot easier to mix to get your lead where you want to be.

Anyway, it is your shot, your lead, and your bullets. Good Luck with whatever you wind up doing, and if it works out(or doesn't), please post pictures and processes. Stay safe!

God Bless

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    It's odd that you can't sell hard #4 on here. If I was still able to mess with lead I would buy it in a heartbeat for loading BP Brass shells for my old single shot 20 gauge (#4 is great for coon and possum hunts). But alas the oncologist and thus the wife have banned me from directly handling lead anymore. I can only tell you that in my experience other posters are correct. #1 it is worth more as shot, #2 it doesn't typically cast well, and #3 depending on when and who made it it could have graphite, arsenic, leftover antifreeze, etc coating it. Even as trade you could probably find somebody to swap you actual tin/antimony for it and that would be a heck of alot easier to mix to get your lead where you want to be.

Anyway, it is your shot, your lead, and your bullets. Good Luck with whatever you wind up doing, and if it works out(or doesn't), please post pictures and processes. Stay safe!

God Bless

Richard
    Where I am in Canada there isn’t a big demand for this shot.

Boolit Master
    I could never get the shot to melt. It just floated on top of the molten lead. Too much graphite I think. I quit trying. I don't need it anyway. I just thought I would recycle the stuff.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Well I got to melting that shot down this morning and it went well and the graphite worked really well as a flux. The shot melted like any other lead but had to keep temperature about 750 degrees. Out of 40lbs I got just over 38 lbs.
    I’m going to try casting a little with it and see how it goes. On another forum some say it works well as is and some say to add some tin so I’ll try both.

Banned

Turkey hunters use #4 shot around here. I'd have traded pound for pound lead for shot for it. Sure seems like a waste.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    This post is timely, a friend just gave me a 25 lb bag of 8 or 9 shot. I have a shotgun loader, but have never used it. not sure if i need to keep the shot or make 9mm/38 bullets with it.
    Still got the shot? Let me know if interested in trading for some casting ingots.

Boolit Master
    I cast some using a Lee 252-252 SWC mold with just the shot ingots and then with some tin in the mix. The ones with just the shot turned out not to bad but the ones with the tin added has to be the best bullets I’ve every cast.

Boolit Master
    I would but I am afraid sending it to Kansas from south Florida would be make it cost way too much for both of us.

Boolit Master
    That's what flat rate boxes are for.

I inherited about 100# of mixed sizes of shot, mixed it 50/50 with lead and a dash of tin and it has made great rifle bullets. No problems reducing into ingots and alloying it with lead.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A080F6CE-050F-433B-A90D-40A92FEA7BA3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	281189This is how the shot turned out with a bit of tin in the mix.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on it working for you. I couldn't tell you what there is and isn't demand for in Canada. I just know in the East Texas Piney Woods in particular #6 is pretty much king for us lowly pot hunters, and #4 is a close second because tough old big coons will sometimes spit #6 back at you then cuss you for trying. Squirrel, rabbit, and possum go down smooth and easy on #6 though, and you can manage quail, dove, etc with a bit of practice. #4 works well on coyote, and fox. I'd just like one time to see boxes of shells labeled "lowland bottom" instead of "upland game".

Anyway, I'm off track. Again congrats on it working for you.

God Bless

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12