Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Jojoba Oil and Cold Temps

Jojoba Oil and Cold Temps

Does anyone have experience using jojoba oil as a gun lube in cold temps? I live in Florida and use it with my black powder bullet launchers; Sharps, SAA and percussion revolvers. I know it’s technically a wax and that it solidifies at around 40*F, but does it still retain its lubricity when solid? Yes, I have Ballistol and use it too.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Recommend Eezox for lube, cleaning and rust prevention support in any temperature, hot or cold
    PS: Ballistol main ingredient is mineral oil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba_oil
    Regards
    John

I have worked with jojoba oil a good bit now, mainly because it is the only available oil that approximates sperm oil which was used by the Sharps rifle co. for their very successful lubes. That was how it started and as I've done more with it I've learned more and like it even more. big points: doesn't go rancid, miscible easily with beeswax and lanolin, great lubrication, mixes well and softens black powder fouling. It does become thick and opaque around 45 degrees but not solid, as long as you know that it's not hard to adjust the beeswax in your lube to make a cold weather lube. I only do that for revolver seal that has to hold up to blast from the adjacent chamber when fired, all other lubes that I use work well from cold to hot. I use 1/3 beeswax and 2/3 jojoba oil for patch lube and I presoak patches in melted lube so the patch is really impregnated, this works in all conditions and I load blocks with PRBs and punch into the muzzle from the block. My bullet lube is 80% Beeswax, 10% jojoba oil, 10% lanolin and works great in the star lubrisizer with no adjustment for temperature. I can't tell a difference between that and SPG but it is more firm than SPG which is something you really want for expanding balls and anything with exposed lube. I use 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 jojoba oil to soak fiber shotgun wads for blackpowder shells and muzzle loading shotgunning. This works great but takes alot of lube so I compromise and substitute crisco for jojoba oil and use it within a few months as it will go rancid. I've found the best way to keep a shotgun bore slick is to inundate with lube that's loose enough but not so loose that it creeps and fouls the powder which means a felt or fiber wad really impregnated with lube sandwiched between nitro cards. I know that sounds like too much but I can shoot 50+ rounds of target loads and maintain a slick bore, I do use jojoba oil mix if I'm loading hunting shells that may be stored a long time. I hope this helps, I didn't go into the oils and waxes I tried that didn't work well, just the things that worked the best.

Guess the answer is that no one knows

Boolit Master
    Freezing point 7-10.6 °C according to the Wikipedia link in post #2.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 03-09-2021 at 09:33 PM.