MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Average % lead in range scrap

Boolit Master

Like the brand of Brandon's undies-Depends. Depends on composition of the lead in the j-words shot.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I tried it once, with purchased range scrap. As I recall, copper jackets remaining were about 1/4 to 1/3 of the initial mass.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't use range scrap very much anymore but the best I remember I netted something like 65-70% from our indoor range and 60-65% from the berms on our outdoor range. The indoor range had more cast bullet shooters and the outdoor range seemed to attract more J-word shooters. The indoor range also would not accommodate rifle shooters so the outdoor range had the rifle shooters. It used a homemade steel backstop that directed the bullets into a sand trap.

I use almost exclusively clip-on wheelweights now and a rough estimate is that I loose about 12% to clips, oil, grease and paint. This is from smelting hand sorted weights.

I had an indoor range owner give me a 5 gal bucket (200lbs +/-)of his scrap to "try out" which I did. I then bought it from him for $50 per bucket, 2 buckets at a time. Melting it down yielded about 65% alloy and the rest was jacket material and plastic shotgun wads. The jacket material I sold to a local scrap yard for $.65/lb. The net cost of the clean alloy worked out to about $.40/lb. I now have well over a ton of ingots that BMI tells me are 98 1/2% Pb, 1%Sb, and less than 1/2%Sn.

Boolit Buddy
    I am guessing that I netted something opposite of lightman. The indoor range had this dusty black residue that was maybe the coating on .22lr bullets. There was a lot of it. The outdoor range had copper jackets that need to be scraped out. Then, there was the lead bullet shreds from the berm. That was probably the best.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234