Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Recommendation for spotting scope

Recommendation for spotting scope

I'm looking for your recommendations on a spotting scope.

I have a nice little travel size (old) Bushnell I use for shooting targets and such out to 200 yards. It's nice because it fits in my shooting box easily but I need something bigger as I'm going to get more serious about varmint hunting this year.

I can read all the Google reviews out there but I'd rather hear from real life experience.

Clarity and cost are my two biggest factors. I don't care that it's big, I want something big and powerful to see the little critters way out there. I don't want to spend more than $350 bucks and I want something that's comfortable to look through for long periods of time. If possible I'd prefer an angled eyepiece.

Am I asking for too much?
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Grand Master

As magnification goes up mirage become a bigger problem as does focus. If you wear glasses then eye relief may be a consideration also. I have kowas here 28x X 88 mm that are very good but above your price range. what I really like and are in your range is a pair of celestron 25 X X 100 mm binoculars. Good eye relief, both eye pieces focus separately, with both eyes working together less strain and fatigue. I used these for spotting in BPCR silhouette and they were very good. They also come in at your price range. Mounted on a decent tripod they are very usable.

A good tri pod or stand is important also a scope wiggling in the wind is hard to see thru or get a good image.

Good advice Country Gent I appreciate it.

I keep seeing Kowa, who knows if I can find a killer deal, maybe.

I appreciate the advice on the Celestron, I see that name popping up quite a bit also. I didn't think about some real binoculars. Separately focusing eyepieces would be nice.

Yes, I have to get a tripod, good point on quality.

Boolit Grand Master

You might consider watching talking to some NRA High power Shooters They may have a line on a used Kowa. New they are expensive I think my last new one was around $800.00 when the eye piece was added in. But the 28x X 88 mm on a good day will show 30 cal holes at 600 yds.

I dont think you can wear a scope out looking thru it so as long as its not beat up a used should be fine. Ive used unertals 60 mms from the 50s that are still clear and crisp.

"the 28x X 88 mm on a good day will show 30 cal holes at 600 yds." That's crazy!

I don't think I'm in need of that much. A soda pop can size critter at 300 would probably suit my fancy.

I think I might have a line on the NRA highpower shooter I will check that out, never know what might turn up used.

I'm all for the old good stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Since I bought the big binoculars I use them more. They give a clean clear view, will actually show the trace when spotting for another shooter, and lowers the eye stress and strain. They also have a great field of view. They are bigger and heavier than a normal spotting scope though.

Sorry, just getting back to this....

So I'm curious, will the big binoculars fit on a tripod? I'm looking at purchasing a nice one for this purpose (thinking spotting scope) but I'm curious if the binoculars have a mount?

Boolit Buddy
    I typed in 'Celestron 25x100 binoculars' on amazon and the pair that popped up showed they were usable with a tripod. Not sure if they're the exact pair CG was talking about.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes mine mount on a tripod. I got the Idea from fellow ORPA team member he had a set of binoculars from a ww2 battle ship That were very good we used when shooting team matches but they were heavy. on the range 2 people to move them and the tripod with the dolly.

I also got the chance to look thru a custom made binocular a few years ago the mount was made by a home machinist and 2 Straight eye piece kowas mounted I believe they were using 28 X eyepieces.

Boolit Master

I looked up my (inherited) Leupold Green Ring, 20-60 x 80mm, Sequoia model, 45 degree eye piece spotting scope, cost new $399, and a very good optic imo. It is discontinued, though some are still available at retail (MidwayUSA) but $479 today.

I compare that to a retirement gift (no gold watch) Bushnell Legend, 15-45 x 60mm, Ultra HD model, straight eye piece spotting scope, and a pretty good optic. When available new at Walmart it retailed for $352. It is discontinued but still "out there" (CopsPlus) for $494...

I routinely use the tripod mounted, Bushnell (sentimental, I earned it), with its straight eye piece for ease of use while seated at target practice. Shaded target at 100 yds. and no problem (45X) clearly seeing 22 Bator SWC boolit holes in red and black bullseye targets as well as clearly distinguishing the target's diminutive black 0.5" spaced grid lines on white paper from the laser printer. 200 yds., I have not tried.

I let my wife use the tripod mounted Leupold. Her 20-20 corrected vision is much worse (focus, clarity, distance) than my 20-10 astigmatism corrected right eye. She says she sees the boolit holes pretty well (45X). I am teaching her not to squint and to keep both eyes open.

A recommendation is to add a heavy counter weight to stabilize the tripod. Tape the edges of the quick release plate connection on the bottom of the scope so that it is "captured" with no wobble when seated in the counter weighted tripod. Stability is critical to clarity when focused.

How "good" is your monocular human eye (left or right dominant)? That is the test and starting point. While optics make distant "things" appear closer, no optic is going to compensate for clarity, brightness, focus, heat mirage, etc., better than your eye.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

When my spotting scope was stolen, I replaced it with a 50's vintage Argus that came with a Freland stand. The outside edges of the field of view are a little fuzzy, but the center is very clear. I can spot 22 holes art 200 yards with it. It cost me $80.00 bucks on Ebay about 15 years ago.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    If you're buying new, expect to pay about $1 per yard, minimum, at least that's been my experience. Your $350 budget will get you to 350 yards but spend more if you can, you won't regret it. I bought a fairly expensive BSA 50X about 20 years ago for about $250 and it served me well out to 200 yards but it hasn't aged well. If you end up buying binoculars please post an update. I'm thinking I'd like to try a pair on a tripod.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I have. Kowa and it is clear as gin and I really like it. I bought my son a 1st generation green ring Leupold and it was terrible BUT I called Leupold and the rep told
    Me to box it up and send it back to them. In about
    10 days a new one showed up and it is every bit as clear as my Kowa. They all look pretty good in a sporting goods store. That makes a good case for a tried and true company like Leupold if it has issues. The advice about a good tripod can’t be overstated. When mine is dialed up to the max, the gentlest breeze will move it on my old Velbon tripod
    Last edited by murf205; 06-22-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    You will never be disappointed with Kowa. I've been using them for 30+ years. For big and super stable, I have a Unertl Team Scope but they are scarce and take two men and a boy to move and set up.
    The couple of times I got to use real, long range binoculars on tripods, they were awesome too. Not quite as cumbersome as the big Unertl and they are easy on the eyes if you have to be on the glass for a long time. Kowa makes one that is a jillion dollars, the ones I looked through were East German Military. Sometimes the company "Deutscheoptic.com has something like that if they are still in business.