Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried chambering an AR for .45 Long Colt?

Has anyone tried chambering an AR for .45 Long Colt?

This sounds like a very dumb question, but has anyone (Manufacturer, gunsmith, wacko?) tried making an AR in .45 Long Colt?

Considering how popular lever action carbines are in that caliber it stands to reason that someone's going to put it in an AR platform.

Rimmed cartridges don't sound like a fun time for a magazine, let alone chambering a rimmed cartridge that should be headspacing on the rim instead of the case mouth in an AR.

Either way, such pursuits do seem rather noble, at least it would make for one heck of an engineering challenge.

.410 shotshell uppers exist, .45LC cant be far off.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    .410 shotshell uppers exist, .45LC cant be far off.
    that's what I was thinking. Not an AR platform, but saiga makes a AK clone .410. I always thought a 30rd .410 would make a great home defense bedroom gun. Enough of a punch to knock a person down, light recoil, and you wouldn't have to worry about strays going through the house and hitting a non target.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    There's a 45 Raptor that is just a rimless 460 S&W . I don't see why a 45 Colts Ruger/454 wouldn't be possible . The #15 rifle is in the 450 and 458 SoCwolf's both on further rebated 284 case no reason why the same can't be done to a Mauser clan case .
    The 450 BW is probably really close to what you're looking at .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Making the AR-15 platform run well with an oddball cartridge can be a pain.

I have done a couple, and for me it was worth it. I got a 357AR max before the 350L was introduced and I am working on a 7 TCU.

The 450 Bushmaster and the 458 Socom are available and well understood.

I doubt that an AR 15 bolt could handle modified to work with a rimmed 45 (it is just too big). And what would be the purpose of a 45 colt length rebated rimless cartridge?

Boolit Master
    The .450 BM in the AR15 platform and the .45 Raptor in the AR10 platform accomplish what you're looking for. If you want a go-fast same-caliber companion for your 45LC revolver, the Thunderer pump gun and R92 already fill that bill.
    Ed <><

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    The .450 BM in the AR15 platform and the .45 Raptor in the AR10 platform accomplish what you're looking for. If you want a go-fast same-caliber companion for your 45LC revolver, the Thunderer pump gun and R92 already fill that bill.
    Ed <><
    Honestly, I'm not looking for it at all. It was just something I was thinking about since these days people have tried to put just about everything into an AR.

.357 Max in the AR seems like a similar pistol caliber carbine pursuit.

I'm just tossing some ideas out into the wild. .454 Casull in an AR would be something to behold.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Honestly, I'm not looking for it at all. It was just something I was thinking about since these days people have tried to put just about everything into an AR.

.357 Max in the AR seems like a similar pistol caliber carbine pursuit.

I'm just tossing some ideas out into the wild. .454 Casull in an AR would be something to behold.
    just get a bushmaster. Ammo and brass are easier to find the 454s and its capable of even more then the 454.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    just get a bushmaster. Ammo and brass are easier to find the 454s and its capable of even more then the 454.
    Someday, someone's going to make an AR in every SAAMI caliber on the market. I'd certainly wish them luck. Those shenanigans aren't my speed, but it would be fun to watch!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tai95 View Post
    that's what I was thinking. Not an AR platform, but saiga makes a AK clone .410. I always thought a 30rd .410 would make a great home defense bedroom gun. Enough of a punch to knock a person down, light recoil, and you wouldn't have to worry about strays going through the house and hitting a non target.
    Charles Daly makes a .410 upper. I have one. Lot of fun.

44 mag has been done as has 357 magnum. Since they make a 410 upper the easiest way might be to get one of those and rebarrel it to 45lc. Mags are usually the stumblingly block. The 44 and 357 mag uppers I'm aware of used desert eagle mags stuffed in an ar-15 magazine body to feed the rimmed cartridges.

Boolit Master

More to the point, has anyone tried chambering an 1873 Peacemaker for 5.56mm NATO?

You'd probably have an easier time in AR-Land with the .45 Win Mag's standard 7mm Mauser-diameter-derived rimless head.

Other than rims and mags, the engineering challenges as I see it would be determining if the gas system will be set to run at Peacemaker or Redhawk pressure levels and coming up with a load that doesn't filth up the AR's gas system.

And on that topic, imagine the fouling horror if some SASS guy decides to run his real blackpowder loads in it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

wacko is right!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    44 mag has been done as has 357 magnum. Since they make a 410 upper the easiest way might be to get one of those and rebarrel it to 45lc. Mags are usually the stumblingly block. The 44 and 357 mag uppers I'm aware of used desert eagle mags stuffed in an ar-15 magazine body to feed the rimmed cartridges.
    Did the 357 uppers actually work? I'm looking for an alternative to paying $1,500+ for a $300 gun which the IMI Timberwolf 357 pump is IMHO. I'd like other than a lever action to go with my S&W model 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    More to the point, has anyone tried chambering an 1873 Peacemaker for 5.56mm NATO?

You'd probably have an easier time in AR-Land with the .45 Win Mag's standard 7mm Mauser-diameter-derived rimless head.

Other than rims and mags, the engineering challenges as I see it would be determining if the gas system will be set to run at Peacemaker or Redhawk pressure levels and coming up with a load that doesn't filth up the AR's gas system.

And on that topic, imagine the fouling horror if some SASS guy decides to run his real blackpowder loads in it.
    I can imagine the horror already. Then again, SASS with a wacky .45 Colt-ed AR would be something for the history books.

The trouble is, how do you make an AR resemble the rifles of the Old West? Maybe a yellow anodization job and wooden furniture? Or maybe just given a Wrought Iron looking Powder coat...

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    Did the 357 uppers actually work? I'm looking for an alternative to paying $1,500+ for a $300 gun which the IMI Timberwolf 357 pump is IMHO. I'd like other than a lever action to go with my S&W model 19.
    Not very well and they're expensive also unless you can make your own. Any of the pistol caliber uppers in DI need the gas port very close to the chamber. Being that close lots of fouling gets into the action and bolt carrier.

Banned

pistol caliber ars dont have gas ports. There blow back.

Boolit Master

Most are. I think Olympic made some DI 10mm uppers. Something as large as a 45colt might need to be piston or DI driven

Boolit Buddy
    That would truly be something amazing, a 5.56 SAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

Boolit Master

not worth the headache to create a rimmed AR in my opinion and I'm the one on this wacky (or deranged) enough to continulally make wildcats for ARs. so far, I've got 4 different wildcats outside of the standard 223 Rem cartridge and none of them are rimmed.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast