MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 magnum and 180 grs. Cast boolits

AndyC

I am not sure why Hodgdon uses a 10" barrel for their .357 load data, however as an interesting point ,I found a video of a reloader trying to duplicate the Buffalo Bore 180 gr. ,357 load, advertised at 1400fps, he used the Hodgdon data, with Lil' Gun powder and was getting around 1400fps with his 4" GP 100.

I have a GP-100 with a 6" barrel. My hunting load is a NOE 359-190-rf hollow point that weighs 173 grains, over 13gr 2400, a WSP, col=1.657". This load averages 1213fps, sd=23, es=66.

I'm A Honcho!
    14.5 -15.5 H110 with SRP 185 grain cast boolit w/ a good crimp does 1700 from a 18.5 inch barrel. Thats probably going 1400 in a 6-10 inch. I shoot this load regularly.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I use that plain base NOE 180 gr WF boolit which drops at 187 gr. from my mold in my Ruger 77/357 with a load of 11.5 gr. of 2400, small rifle primers, and Lee tumble lube. The mv is about 1350 fps on my chronograph and it gets 2 MOA groups at 100 yards without a hint of leading using a 3x scope. According to the Speer book's ballistics, that boolit is still going 1050 fps at 150 yards using the BC on NOE's website. With that big flat nose and all that weight, it will do just fine on any deer to 150 yards or a little more. It might even see service in my front yard dealing with bears raiding my fruit trees.
    This^^^^^^^^^ ! You'll likely find your best accuracy will be a tad under max with 2400.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    my trapper with the same load =1350 fps only difference i use a gas check

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I wouldn't shoot the same loads threw those two guns. They are way apart in felt recoil and maximum data. No way would I develop a load in a Redhawk and assume it safe in anything else.
    357 Magnum was the most powerful handgun cartridge ever made when it was invented. Anything rated for a 357 Magnum can take some serious power and pressure.

I wouldn't load the most beastly loads in a J or K frame S&W or a Ruger LCR, but short of those few weak guns, I can and do shoot some pretty beastly loads in my 357s, my favorite of which is an N frame S&W Model 28.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12