Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HiLift Jack

Boolit Master

Lol - I'll be sure to remember that!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Not a Warn. It's an old school manual Sasgen Derrick winch. Think of it as giant come-along. I found it a couple years ago, restored it and adapted it to the jeep. BTW, the jeep has the original drivetrain and is still 6 volts.
    That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
    Lol - thanks!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Took 2 Handy Mans out yesterday and loaded a 22' by 26 tapering to 18 inch oak log on a 16' flat bed .
    I didn't take any pictures , I should have .

We picked up the light the light end about 30" and 11' back and backed the trailer under it to the jacks . Cut 9' off reset the 16' trailer , reset the jacks about 7' back , added a log on the ground a pipe on the deck and backed under the stump end .
    Then winched both forward for 2-3" of tongue load , threw on 6-7 12-14" logs and drove away in 1 hr 15 minutes . Cordage stacked is a little over 1 full , the fork bulge takes the now 2 piece log to 88 cuft solid and will get us about 28-30 counter/table top slabs of 2×21" at 9' . Guestemated weight about 7,000 lbs for the first lift .

Cast jacks with the j shaped hand . The tip really digs in and holds with the jacks creating a 20° or so tripod .
    I loaded a storage container on a flat bed the same way once .

I can't imagine life without one or 2 or 4 .

The 79 Scout had 2× Dana 44s . The Dana 25 , very changed outside , in the Explorers and Rangers is still the same OM axle as the CJs . Altered for use in IFS and as a cross member . My 99 Explorer AWD/4WD weighed the same as the 79' 392 with the 727 auto I swapped in the "tank transmission" later in the Scout . I think the 8.8 FoMoCo would make a good swap with the "big 5 on 5" conversion or redrill/adapter . Just as a suggested alternative to the Scout axle , it also has disc brakes .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I got a Hi Lift in the late 90's, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The Hi Lift jack is one of those basic tools that hasn't been replaced because nothing else can replace it.
    I've always considered them to be better as a winch than a jack.
    As a person that has a lot of experience with the old bumper jacks, I've always had a lot of respect for Hi-Lift jacks. It will get the job done but it will also hurt you if you don't know what you're doing.
    Quite a few years ago, I did a funeral for a 16 year old who was changing the rear tire on a Jeep. He was standing over it when it "kicked back" shoving his jaw bone into his brain.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Quite a few years ago, I did a funeral for a 16 year old who was changing the rear tire on a Jeep. He was standing over it when it "kicked back" shoving his jaw bone into his brain.
    How awful - so sorry to hear this. These jacks can be dangerous in the hands of someone not trained in their proper and safe use. I grew up in the days when cars used bumper jacks that work on the same principle. If not very careful and conscious of it, the jack handle could easily snap back up and hit you in the face. I learned through painful experience. Fortunately today, there are much better instructions, warnings and videos that show how to properly use a hi-lift jack and what to be careful of. Anyone who may use one needs to understand how to properly and safely use one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Welcome Back!

That's unfortunate. This points out the forces involved and may save someone else. The ability to judge angles and loads is something that develops over time by doing.

Over the years I've found the scariest, most dangerous jacks were included with the vehicle at the time of sale.

The Hi Lift will do jobs that nothing else will touch. I've recovered trucks when winches wouldn't work.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    Having lived through the age of cars with bumper jacks (and real bumpers!) I have a lot of respect for the dangers of a jack.

It is terrible that a 16 year old lost his life to an accident with a jack, but not surprising that it could happen.

I don't fear tools like a Hi-Lift jack but I do have a healthy respect for the damage it can do.

I completely agree that some of the worst jacks you will ever encounter are the ones that come with vehicles. I think that area has actually improved a little bit over the years.

It's interesting that American pick up trucks often came equipped with a vertical screw type jack (often hidden under the hood or behind seats). They were a little more difficult to place but their short length and direct force applied to the axle made them a bit more stable.
    European cars had scissor type jacks long before they were common in America.
    With the near universal use of unibody construction, a scissor jack driven by a large screw seems to be the norm these days.

Boolit Master
    I knew a fellow that lost the use of both of his legs helping a friend under a truck when it fell. All I can say is I have been fortunate. I hope it keeps me aware and I think twice with a jack or chainsaw.
    Mal

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    VW used a balance point screw jack on a single post in a square socket . It picked the whole side up whether left or right tripod on the 2 wheels and tires on the other side .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    VW used a balance point screw jack on a single post in a square socket . It picked the whole side up whether left or right tripod on the 2 wheels and tires on the other side .
    Yep. I remember that. It worked great until that jacking point rusted out. After that, not so much

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Yep. I remember that. It worked great until that jacking point rusted out. After that, not so much
    By that time you should have purchased John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" and have purchased scissor jacks to remove the engine so you have it covered when the jack point gets scary.
    Mal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234