Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HiLift Jack

Boolit Master
    I've got 3 of them. 2 four-footers and a five-footer, had 3 different 4-wheel drive vehicles that might get into the back country or a rough spot in the 2-3 section (section + square mile) pastures to check cows or hunt elk. Used as jack, winch, come-along, fence-stretcher many times - late 70's early 80's purchase - work just fine, need a little oil now and again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    OK guys first off Its a CJ-8 Scrambler. It was built from scratch. Meaning I built the entire undercarriage, Frame, drive train, axles etc. I bought the Fiberglass body which doesn't rust. Yukon Denali Seats, A/C etc.

It has a Cummins 4BT, TH400, US Gear OD, and Atlas Transfer Case. I made all the adapters. HP Dana 44 front with Airlocker, and HP Dana 60 rear with Airlocker. 4.10 gears 37" Goodyear MTR's All 3/4 ton running gear.

The reason why the wheel wells are so clean is that I painted them white so you could see the dirt and it hasn't been off road yet. Since I built the whole thing, it has been driven on road to work out all the bugs, cuz when you build a car from scratch, there will be bugs. It's getting pretty reliable and after a long trip to see how it does running continuous for several hours it should be ready to tour the Desert. Then who knows where I'll go in it..
    It will have one of my Warn 8274's on the front but it will be easily removable so it can live in the garage when not needed. There's plugs on both ends to plug the winch into.

If you are interested you can see the entire build starting with the frame on wheels in 2008 at,,,

https://www.4btswaps.com/threads/her...crambler.5310/

There are over 1000 posts and many pictures of the entire build. It has been a good project that has kept moving forward for the last 16 years and has been on the road for a year and half,,, 2500 miles so far. That thread has 305,000 views so far and is the longest running thread on that site.

If I lived where there is Mud, it would have 37" Super Swampers on it, and it has enough power to turn them easily and get the wheel wells nice and dirty.

Still haven't seen the Diesel Wrangler they've only been promising them since 1992. They have them in Egypt? Made in Toledo!

Randy
    its a cool build. My son in law is a diesel mechanic and has I think the same motor sitting in his yard. He has a cj5 project that has been going on very slowly for years that its suppose to go in. Love your dash. thats absolutely bad a.

Boolit Master

I found this original wooden handle Harrah Handyman last year. I restored it and have it mounted on my 1948 Willys jeep. They can be a little tricky to use for a novice. But once you understand how it works and the proper way to use one, it is a great tool to have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handyman1_copy_243x901.jpg   Handyman_restored_2020-12-05_13-07-25_copy_217x805.jpg   20210314_065311_copy_567x1008.jpg  

Picture of complete Jeep please. I see you have a Hard Top mounted which increases the cool factor Exponentially.

Need to see the whole Jeep so We can see which Hard Top it is. There were several different brands. Hard Tops for early jeeps were some of the coolest things you could do to a Jeep and damn sure made them more useful in the winter. A Heater from JC Whitney was a close second.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Picture of complete Jeep please. I see you have a Hard Top mounted which increases the cool factor Exponentially.

Need to see the whole Jeep so We can see which Hard Top it is. There were several different brands. Hard Tops for early jeeps were some of the coolest things you could do to a Jeep and damn sure made them more useful in the winter. A Heater from JC Whitney was a close second.

Randy
    If you insist it's a Koenig half cab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow jeep.jpg  

Banned
    THAT'S A JEEP !

I love the half cab.

Boolit Master

Had an 86 CJ7, wish I would got a 5 when they were available. Broke some stuff on it hubs and driveshafts and started driving Little more conservatively off road. Best thing I ever did was put BFG MTs on it and never got stuck again in red clay. The 2.5" Rancho lift killed the ride though.

Great hunting rig though!

Boolit Master

OK guys first off Its a CJ-8 Scrambler. It was built from scratch. Meaning I built the entire undercarriage, Frame, drive train, axles etc. I bought the Fiberglass body which doesn't rust. Yukon Denali Seats, A/C etc.

It has a Cummins 4BT, TH400, US Gear OD, and Atlas Transfer Case. I made all the adapters. HP Dana 44 front with Airlocker, and HP Dana 60 rear with Airlocker. 4.10 gears 37" Goodyear MTR's All 3/4 ton running gear.

The reason why the wheel wells are so clean is that I painted them white so you could see the dirt and it hasn't been off road yet. Since I built the whole thing, it has been driven on road to work out all the bugs, cuz when you build a car from scratch, there will be bugs. It's getting pretty reliable and after a long trip to see how it does running continuous for several hours it should be ready to tour the Desert. Then who knows where I'll go in it..
    It will have one of my Warn 8274's on the front but it will be easily removable so it can live in the garage when not needed. There's plugs on both ends to plug the winch into.

If you are interested you can see the entire build starting with the frame on wheels in 2008 at,,,

https://www.4btswaps.com/threads/her...crambler.5310/

There are over 1000 posts and many pictures of the entire build. It has been a good project that has kept moving forward for the last 16 years and has been on the road for a year and half,,, 2500 miles so far. That thread has 305,000 views so far and is the longest running thread on that site.

If I lived where there is Mud, it would have 37" Super Swampers on it, and it has enough power to turn them easily and get the wheel wells nice and dirty.

Still haven't seen the Diesel Wrangler they've only been promising them since 1992. They have them in Egypt? Made in Toledo!

Randy
    A truly lovely dash, Randy, well, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Excellent CJ2A. Is that a Warn 8274 under the cover on the front.?

I have a friend who had a Jeep Repair Shop in Santa Barbara CA. He had acquired every attachment for a Jeep known to man. My favorite was a PTO driven 6' Chain Saw that was mounted to the Rear Bumper. With 60 hp behind it it would cut thru a 4' diameter log in less than a minute. He'd rent it out to the city when a big Eucalyptus tree would fall down and block a street. Made short work of the big trees.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

Not a Warn. It's an old school manual Sasgen Derrick winch. Think of it as giant come-along. I found it a couple years ago, restored it and adapted it to the jeep. BTW, the jeep has the original drivetrain and is still 6 volts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sasgen2_copy_421x391.jpg   20191001_170155.jpg  

That is known as an "Arm Strong " Winch. You don't have to worry about running your battery dry with it.

Perfect Period Correct Accessory to your 2A.

I wanted a 3B for a long time, but I had already gotten immersed in my 1960 CJ5 which was completely rebuilt from the ground up. It served me well but I cannibalized the axles out of it for the new Jeep and it has been on stands in my garage for 10+ years now. I need a set of Scout axles for it.

It made JP magazine in 2001 known as the "Mercruiser CJ5" as it had a 181 Mercruiser/Chevy motor in it. T98, D18 and Warn OD. This pic was in street attire. Off road it got 35" Swampers, and the top and windshield came off.

The pre AMC Jeeps were some of the coolest Jeeps. 2A,3A, 3B, CJ5/CJ6.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jeep pics 054.jpg  

Boolit Master

Wow - thats a beauty! Maybe it's time for a reincarnation!

Banned

very cool

Boolit Master
    That 48 blue Willys is way cool, but I have the ugliest Jeep ever made, a FC150. It's resting out in the pasture. It's pretty rough, but I saved it from becoming an I beam in a Chinese hi-rise.

Boolit Master

FC's have a face only a mother could love But they have a strong following too. I've seen some that have been very well done. Please don't let that one rot away. If you aren't going to do something with it, sell it to someone who will.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to tractor supply and they had a Chinese clone for 99 bucks. I avoid Chinese products if I can and decided to swing by Rural King. 79 bucks for the shorter one that was the genuine article from the USA.

Banned
    Not a Warn. It's an old school manual Sasgen Derrick winch. Think of it as giant come-along. I found it a couple years ago, restored it and adapted it to the jeep. BTW, the jeep has the original drivetrain and is still 6 volts.
    Wow !
    It's been a while since I've seen one of those old winches. You did good work restoring that winch.

I see you cheated a little bit with the handle. By using a big ratchet you overcame the problem of not having enough space to make a complete rotation with the drive handle, good solution. Those winches usually had a big crank with a square drive on one end that you slipped onto whichever shaft you needed it on.
    Were you able to find a socket to fit that square end shaft or did you have to make a socket?

If you made a shaft that was long enough to reach beyond the end of the front bumper, you could put a crank on one end. That would allow you the clearance to rotate the crank in a full circle while standing at the end of the bumper.

Boolit Master

P&P - yes, the lack of space to use the original crank handles made me go to a large ratchet. I had to custom make the square hole socket, but it works fine. A while back a buddy made a video of us doing a winch demo. It is surprisingly powerful.

https://youtu.be/hKUaP6rJbdo

Very cool video. As far as the FC is concerned they are worth Big Money now as they are fewer and fewer every year. I've got pics of a bunch that have been restored. At least get it indoors before it rots to the ground.

I guess I'm going to have to find axles for mine and get it back running. It will clean up fine, but Scout axles are getting harder to find, axles out of a 71 to 73 CJ would work also. A D30 and D44 would be fine.

Something to do as my other one comes to fruition.

Randy

Sorry Mal,, WE completely "hijacked" your Hi Lift Jack thread. Pretty sure you're a Jeep guy anyway.

Banned
    Never leave your winch unattended.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RXV-p_Ec6Q
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-22-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast