RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HiLift Jack

Boolit Master

HiLift Jack

I bought my first one almost 50 years ago for my first 4X4. I got other peoples trucks back on the road, changed tires, lifted buildings and a bunch of other things. I lost it in a fire. I couldn't think of anything else for a job I had so I went looking for a new one. They are still around and still a bargain. I found an All Cast 5 foot tall one on Amazon for $99 Delivered Including Tax! This is for a 7,000 Pound Made In The USA Jack.

I used it yesterday, smooth as silk. We still make good stuff here!

The chinese copy is $20 cheaper, 18 inches shorter and not much of a bargain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HiLift1.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I have one also, but I'm not too pleased with it. It is finicky and hard to get to work right. Made in the USA, brand name jack, but still not first rate. Probably could be fixed, but it's too heavy to send back for repair.

Boolit Master

I like mine and find that when you need it, there is usually no other option. I agree that sometimes it's a bit finicky.

Boolit Master

+1 one on this jack. Not for every application - but highly useful.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Used them many times and learned long ago to stay away from the china copies! They seem to work ok and then all of a sudden they bend and collapse! Of course it's always with a heavy load and no other jack in sight.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    They are so handy to have around for a lot of tasks .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I have one also, but I'm not too pleased with it. It is finicky and hard to get to work right. Made in the USA, brand name jack, but still not first rate. Probably could be fixed, but it's too heavy to send back for repair.
    OIL. Lots and lots of it. Apply liberally to ALL of the moving parts.

Banned
    The Hi Lift jack is one of those basic tools that hasn't been replaced because nothing else can replace it.
    I've always considered them to be better as a winch than a jack.
    As a person that has a lot of experience with the old bumper jacks, I've always had a lot of respect for Hi-Lift jacks. It will get the job done but it will also hurt you if you don't know what you're doing.

Boolit Master

grandfather called them "widow maker" jacks on account of how the handle could do some serious damage if you did not watch it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I like mine and they work great, as long as you follow the safety protocols
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

We always called them tractor jacks. Back when cars and pickups had real bumpers, they worked pretty good there, too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Love my hi lift. I used mine several times but the most memorable was to spread my truck frame apart to replace the rear crossmember that rusted out. I replaced the top clamp on mine with an after market replacement. It has a higher capacity than original and a slot to facilitate winching. I would not be without mine.

Banned
    Bought my first one this year and I'm 63! My Telescoping flagpole was stuck tight in its PVC sleeve by sand that had migrated in there over the 7 years it was in place. Well we moved so the FP had to come with us. Used a small length of chain to cinch it and pulled it out slicker 'n snot with the high lift. Not certain where mine was made. I bought it at Tractor supply.

Banned
    I bought mine 35 years ago, and I don't lend it out. Still works great, made in the USA of course.

Boolit Master

This is appropriate to this thread...

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I bought my first one almost 50 years ago for my first 4X4. I got other peoples trucks back on the road, changed tires, lifted buildings and a bunch of other things. I lost it in a fire. I couldn't think of anything else for a job I had so I went looking for a new one. They are still around and still a bargain. I found an All Cast 5 foot tall one on Amazon for $99 Delivered Including Tax! This is for a 7,000 Pound Made In The USA Jack.

I used it yesterday, smooth as silk. We still make good stuff here!

The chinese copy is $20 cheaper, 18 inches shorter and not much of a bargain.
    Do you have a name or link to the one you liked? Rather have one that someone has actually used. Thanks.
    Ron

In the world that I grew up in, the ownership of a high-lift, or Handyman jack was evidence that you intended to become a full-on man someday. Without one, you were just another one of those guys who couldn't get himself out of a fix. jd

Boolit Master

Was at a Toyota dealership a few months ago and they had a tricked out Toyota 4x4 brand new with a rack and a hi-lift , I laughed as at the price only a fool was taking that rig anywhere where it would be needed All for show was all it was look at my $40,000 dollar ego trip.

I have been 4 wheeling for about 30 years now. I have had one of those jacks for about 30 years now. It sits in my garage in case I really really need it. Everytime I touch it it tries to bite me! I haven't touched it in 15 years. I'm afraid of it.

I also have several Warn Winches. The one for my Yellow Jeep has been used exactly twice in 25 years. Once to pull down a tree in my front yard down and once to move a big rock in my front yard.

I have been on just about every tough trail in the Western US. No one in my club has ever used a winch on a trail, and the closest we ever got was winching a Jeep with a Busted Knuckle onto it's trailer. The winch was on the trailer. Properly set up Jeeps with Locking Diffs and big tires don't get stuck unless there is serious mud or you think it will go places that are Physically Impossible to navigate !

I get a kick out of the guys who have big roof racks with all kinds of recovery gear attached to them on their Jeeps while they drive around town. It is of absolutely no use whatsoever in town and only kills your gas mileage. Plus that your nice and very expensive equipment Rots and is killed by the sun. Leave it in the garage until you actually go 4 Wheeling,,, it will last longer. I especially like the ones mounted to the cowling in front of the windshield where it will get every bit of dirt and debris that comes over the hood packed into it. And since they will never use it, it will probably will be rusted solid long before they need it. Garage?

My new Jeep Scrambler is approaching completion, and it's only taken 16 years to go from Concept in my head to a drawing to being driven in the real world. All because they wouldn't sell Diesel Powered Jeeps in the US. They make them here and then send them everywhere else in the world,,, Except here!!!! It has one Jeep part on the whole car. the Grill. I built the rest. Just finishing up the Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier.

High Lift jacks are nice to have if you need one. I don't need one very often.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-04-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    They’ve served me well in the past, but you need a real bumper.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast