Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consequences of too much LLA?

Boolit Master

Consequences of too much LLA?

I've seen copious reference that if you can "see" LLA after application that you've used too much.

What is the consequence of too much LLA in handgun? In rifle? Reduced accuracy? Excessively dirty gun? What?

Dutch

Boolit Buddy
    Very sticky reloading dies.

Tumble lube should be so thinly spread that it isn't really visible and the bullet isn't sticky. Too much is wasted is the one thing that happens for sure. It might leave you with a bit of extra cleaning. It has a distinctive smell when burned, if it bothers you it will be stronger with more. Consider that for high velocity rifle rounds lubing by dipping the bullet in the LLA and then letting it drain by setting in the plastic bullet holder from a box of bullets is a known approach to lubing with LLA. That puts enough on the lower part of the bullet that you can see it and leaves a visible band in the lube grooves which will have been filled and only partly drained.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I don't understand this at all. I have a tan coat of LLA on all my pistol ammo with zero problems.

The boolit will fling off what it doesn't want carry down range upon exiting the muzzle.
    Getting it there may be a bit of a mess though.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I don't understand this at all. I have a tan coat of LLA on all my pistol ammo with zero problems.
    Me too also. A very light coat of White Label Lube XLox/Johnsons Floor Polish mix gives a slight bronze tint to the bullets. They dry completely and are not sticky.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Very sticky reloading dies.
    Yes. That is the only issue I have experienced. I recommend taking the dies apart when done and cleaning thoroughly.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Using too much LLA is also a waste of money. I dilute mine with equal parts by liquid volume with mineral spirits and use one Chock Full-O-Nuts coffee scoop full in an ammo can to lube 20 pounds of bullets. After each 5 loads you can skip the LLA and just use the mineral spirits and agitate the bullets to use up the residuals from previous loads which have coated the inside of the can.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Super Moderator

I do the same, dilute LLA 50/50 with mineral spirits. Most of what I use LLA for is low to medium velocity/pressure anyway. You just don't need to coat them very thickly to get good results. Sticky boolits and gummed up dies is the result of too much LLA, although it will still work.

Boolit Grand Master

Too much LLA results in the lube not drying quickly enough so most size/load too soon resulting in sticky LLA in dies and outside on the case. It also is a waste of money and time.

You should be able to see the LLA when applied correctly as per Lee's instructions. Some dilute it to begin with but I don't because here, in the warmer climate, it is thin enough so I don't need to. When I lived up north in the winter I would put the cold bottle of LLA in hot tap water for 10-15 minutes before use which made it nice and runny for proper application. Older opened bottles that have dried out a bit I put a bit of mineral spirits (doesn't take much) in the LLA to rejuvenate the lube. When applied correctly a light golden hew should be seen on the bullets after they thoroughly dry. depending on the alloy and use some bullets may require 2 or more coats with a thorough drying between coats.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    I'm convinced that too much lube leads to fliers. But I can't prove it.

I copied and saved one of Outpost75's previous posts about tumble lubing and I follow that.

I shoot loads up to 1900 fps with minimal amounts of LLA and it works for me.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I do 2 light coats of 45-45-10 letting dry over night between coats not sticky at all .
    You can see the color on the bullets.

Boolit Master
    warm the lube and the boolits gives a nice lite coating

Boolit Mold
    Im just starting to us XLOX from white label. From what I understand its the exact same thing as LLA. I add a tiny amount like a few small drops to 10lbs of bullets and shake them until it mixes well. I don't have a problem sizing or firing after that. I have only started casting 30 cal 165 grain ranch dog bullets so there may be something to that but I figured I would share my experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree that too much means gummy dies. I convert all my LLA to BLL these days and am much happier.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The key to lubing with Alox is to dribble a small amount on the bullets ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STfJ3qCi5tY
    I warm the bullets first with a hair dryer and to aid with quicker drying, warm the bullets again after the lube has been applied
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

1/4 teaspoon LLA (cut 50/50 w mineral spirits), BLL (the one with the Lundmark wax), or 45/45/10 per 2 pounds of boolits.

Tumble, dry, tumble again (another 1/4t), dry, load, shoot.

I have taken this up to 1700fps in rifle(s), never a problem in any revolver up to 44 Mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I've seen copious reference that if you can "see" LLA after application that you've used too much.

What is the consequence of too much LLA in handgun? In rifle? Reduced accuracy? Excessively dirty gun? What?

Dutch
    Dutch, I remember reading about lubing lead bullets for the 25-20 where to much tumble lube affected accuracy. No idea about other calibers.

I think the key to tumble lube as mention above is to warm the boolits and the lube. I use several drops in a sandwich baggy, add a handful ~ boolits and move em around till it “ Feels” like they are all slippery, and just seeing a “film of lube” on the bag, not a excess amount of lube moving around.

Good luck, be safe, Mike

Mike
    Dump out on wax paper and let dry.

The trouble with too much LLA is that your work area stinks worse than if you use just the right amount.

Boolit Master
    i like the smell myself.to much is better than to little.just right is best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast