Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ Safeties

CZ Safeties

I called CZ USA and asked about the safety on their 523 model rifles and the guy I talked to said that they had changed the way they operate some time back. In other words, according to him, they now operate forward to fire and rearward to safe. However all of the rifles I have found on Goingbroker have safeties operating in the opposite (Old) way. Has anybody bought one recently and if so, which way does the safety work.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

The CZ 527 safeties used to bug me until I changed my way of thinking about them. They are backwards, I totally agree. If you think about them like cocking a revolver trigger, making the rifle ready to fire, then at least in my mind, I can reconcile that little problem.

I —probably—could too, but youth shooter might get a bit confused and that is my main concern.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Yes, in that regard, the CZ should be consistent with other rifles.

Like the difference between Beretta 92 safeties and the 1911 safety. One you push up and one you push down.

When I talked with CZ and the man told me that they had changed the operation of the safety, he must have been talking about the model 550. From all I can tell, the 527 is still back to fire and forward for safe. I really like their rifles but that one would be the only one I own with that feature.

After much deliberation and pondering, I decided to buy a Tikka T3x Lite in 223 with a 1-8 twist. My LGS owner checked with the largest imported of Tikka/Sako's in the US and they had none. So...I will wait. Between the riots, election, and Covid, buying a sporting rifle has become quite a challenge.

Boolit Buddy
    First good luck in your Tikka quest. CZ seems to be trying to be more accommodating to American shooters. When they went from the model 550 to the model 557 they went to push to fire safeties. Recently there new rimfire the 457 also changed to push to fire. At least there making the effort. One of my favorite rifles is the 527 series. Some people tend to dislike three things with them, the 5 round drop magazine, the confusion with scope ring height/bolt handle clearance. And reversed safeties. Personally none of these worry me. If you think about safeties how many variations can you think of. Anschutz/CZ, some Marlin rimfires pull to fire, Savage/Remington push to fire, Winchester side mounted wing safety, Mausers over the top wing safety, AR 90* rotating safety, Remington/Ruger push button safeties, Ruger tang safeties and on and on. The CZ is just another variant in the scheme of tings.

David, you are spot on with your description and I would buy a CZ if it was just for me but I have a couple of younger potential shooters and since I tend to be a worry wart when it comes to safety, I want to keep it as non confusing as I can. I am a big CZ fan and as soon as/if, they change the 527 safety I will be all over one if Joe and Kamala will let us have them. The stock finish and the bluing on the wood guns is the old school classic look that us old geezers like me love.

Boolit Master
    My best safety is an empty chamber. I say that not to be belligerent and such. I am less a hunter but as a rancher, the rifle is for that odd time there is a predator afoot. So I handle safeties as individuals on the rare circumstance that a rifle is in a loaded chamber for a brief time until unloaded or fired.

I own two 527s and one 452. I look for the red dot and go opposite that whether it’s a Remington 760 or 870 or a CZ with its backward safety. You see I am left handed so those Remingtons are backwards to me.

I see the OP’s point about young ones.

I also offer the idea that my theory can work with anyone, young or old as in take nothing for granted and look for red or fire and go opposite. Those young shooters are going to encounter a different safety some day as well.

Just my .02 worth

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    No argument was meant about the safeties. Just trying to point out that the CZ back to fire is only one of many safety styles. As the old saying goes "The real safety is between the ears". Starting off younger shooters with a safety system there most likely to encounter later on makes a lot of sense. I do quite a bit of varmint shooting from a rest. It's not unusual for the gopher to dart off just as your getting ready to shoot and disappear into the grass some where. When I lift my head from the stock for a wider view the safety goes on automatically by a trained thumb. This is my primary use of a safety. I'm also a lefty and my first rifle a used J.C. Higgins 42 DL rimfire (Marlin 780) with a back to fire safety. So double backwards as a start here.

Boolit Master
    I got used to pulling the safety back as I shouldered the rifle from a Marlin 22 my father gave me for Christmas when I was 9 years old. Yes, I still have it.

Boolit Buddy
    The current CZ527 works the American can way - forward to fire.
    Beyond that, there are so many safety schemes that any one needs absolute attention when applying whereas the letoff shouldn’t really matter because we all practice trigger and muzzle control.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    No argument was meant about the safeties. Just trying to point out that the CZ back to fire is only one of many safety styles. As the old saying goes "The real safety is between the ears". Starting off younger shooters with a safety system there most likely to encounter later on makes a lot of sense. I do quite a bit of varmint shooting from a rest. It's not unusual for the gopher to dart off just as your getting ready to shoot and disappear into the grass some where. When I lift my head from the stock for a wider view the safety goes on automatically by a trained thumb. This is my primary use of a safety. I'm also a lefty and my first rifle a used J.C. Higgins 42 DL rimfire (Marlin 780) with a back to fire safety. So double backwards as a start here.
    +10!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    The current CZ527 works the American can way - forward to fire.
    Beyond that, there are so many safety schemes that any one needs absolute attention when applying whereas the letoff shouldn’t really matter because we all practice trigger and muzzle control.
    Sorry crackers but they DO NOT work that way. I had a new 527 in my hands 2 days ago and the safety is forward for safe and rearward to fire.
    The gentleman I had previously spoken at with at CZ USA clarified his previous statement and the 527's still work the old way.

Boolit Buddy
    “Has anybody bought one recently and if so, which way does the safety work.
    ... was your question and you got an answer you don’t like.
    I have one from a year ago that came from normal new distribution and it has worked forward to fire every week since. I didn’t hear that from anybody and didn’t read it from any gun sites.

Boolit Master
    I've 5 CZ 527s 4 right hand action 1 left handed and honestly have paid that much attention to the way the safety works. Right now I'd have to pull them from the safe and work the safety to make an honest assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    “Has anybody bought one recently and if so, which way does the safety work.
    ... was your question and you got an answer you don’t like.
    I have one from a year ago that came from normal new distribution and it has worked forward to fire every week since. I didn’t hear that from anybody and didn’t read it from any gun sites.
    Well I have one now and the safety works forward for safe and rearward to fire. Before I bought it, I called CZ-USA just to make sure and the CS guy said that the 550's had changed but the 527's still work the way mine does. I asked him if there was a way to reverse the safety and he said no, not as far as he knew. The 527 Varmint that I held in my hands and worked the safety on, worked forward for safe and rearward to fire and it was in the LGS latest shipment from CZ.

Boolit Buddy
    My 527's range from 1993 to 2017 and all are safety back to fire. Following this post I was some what hoping that CZ had reversed the 527 safety pattern. Not for myself but it would remove one of the gripes people have with these fine rifles. So murf205 are you still searching for a Tikka or are you leaning twords a CZ?

I bought a CZ 527 Carbine. Its a neat little gun but I think I will buy a youth model of another brand when and if, my grandson decides he would like to shoot and/or hunt. I really like the 13/12" length of pull. By the time I put a flannel shirt and a jacket on, the 14" guns just don't fit me at all and I have long arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast