Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Lube Sizer for Polymer Coated Bullet Resizing

Boolit Buddy

Star Lube Sizer for Polymer Coated Bullet Resizing

Hello,

I’ve got some old pieces I need to resize bullets for. I’m not set up for casting myself, and I like Polymer coated bullets. So I wondered about resizing polymer coated bullets. I’m thinking of the Magma/Star lube sizer (with the handle, not commercial), just not running lube of course. Would resizing the coated bullets work, or am I asking for trouble? I figure since (a) the coated bullets are sized post coating and (b) they need to survive being shot, that it would work. But I need wisdom. Experiences appreciated.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Works great.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Works great.
    Thank you!

Boolit Master

Totally works - I size my coated bullets in my Star, I don't use lubes.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

I have used my Star for traditional lube sizing, but am about to try it with Hi-Tek. We'll see.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    My star clone with bullet feeder works great for sizing coated bullets but the Lee app works as well or better for far less money.

Boolit Master
    Mine has been pretty good about it. Just release the lube pressure up top. Every few boolits I rub a little Imperial sizing wax on one to keep the die running smoothly and protect the powder coating on the boolits.

Boolit Master
    I use my Star and my LAM2 and they both work.

Boolit Master

Since I got my Star it's only been used for sizing PC or Hi-Tek boolits. I use the boolit sizing lube that the Hi-Tek people sell. Boolits go through like grass through a goose.

I use the NOE sizing bushings and Star adaptor.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the answers, especially the steer to the Hi-tek lube. I’m on my way!

Boolit Buddy

Ah imperial. Good idea Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a couple bottles of Hi Tek's lube. Previously I've always shot them with Hornady One Shot case lube. Works great. That may get you going sooner if you've got some lying around.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    I just ordered a couple bottles of Hi Tek's lube. Previously I've always shot them with Hornady One Shot case lube. Works great. That may get you going sooner if you've got some lying around.
    I do! Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Since I got my Star it's only been used for sizing PC or Hi-Tek boolits. I use the boolit sizing lube that the Hi-Tek people sell. Boolits go through like grass through a goose.

I use the NOE sizing bushings and Star adaptor.

Burnt Fingers - Sorry for the noob question. I think what you’re saying is that NOE makes a sizer, that goes into the Star, using an adapter. This let’s you size PC or Hi Ted Bullits to the size you want? I’ll go to the NOE site, but is that what you’re saying?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    Burnt Fingers - Sorry for the noob question. I think what you’re saying is that NOE makes a sizer, that goes into the Star, using an adapter. This let’s you size PC or Hi Ted Bullits to the size you want? I’ll go to the NOE site, but is that what you’re saying?

NOE makes sizing bushings as well as a die adapter to use them in the star sizer. He also makes a adapter to use them in a standard press or in a Lee app press. Unless you plan on using traditional lube the Lee app press works as well or better than the star with a bullet feeder for sizing alone and is less than 1/5 the price (I have both and prefer the 80$ Lee over the 500$ star even if they were the same price).

Boolit Man
    Magma has zero units in stock. You can't even get on the list for a new one. The nice lady at Magma told me to call back in six months and see if I can get on the list then. Basically, if you want a Star lube sizer to use in year 2021 you gotta consider buying a used unit. The lack of availability for new machines is driving up the value for used machines.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 03-20-2021 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Removed off topic quote

Boolit Buddy
    A new star from magma is 338.00 plus 125.00 for the bullet feeder set up for one caliber which puts you pretty close to 500. I’ve seen used stars around for 250-300 and both of my phelps sizers where yard sale finds for 50-75$ but they are not as well made as a real star (the crankshaft is brass and I’ve broke both of them at the point they attach to the handle and have refit them with a new steel crank from magma).

I bought the Lee as a temporary stopgap when my second phelps broke and have run about 7500 bullets through it and have made it my main sizer relegating the remaining phelps to .45 only. The bullet feeder mechanism on the Lee is really cheap looking but in practice is far more reliable than the magma feeder for the star.
    Time will tell how long the plastic parts on the Lee will hold up but replacement parts are cheap and the whole press was less than 100$.

I use the Noe adapters and bushings on both presses and while they need a bit of polishing as to not take coating off they are far more economical and convenient than getting dedicated star dies or even multiple Lee dies.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 03-20-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Removed off topic quote.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Magma has zero units in stock. You can't even get on the list for a new one. The nice lady at Magma told me to call back in six months and see if I can get on the list then. Basically, if you want a Star lube sizer to use in year 2021 you gotta consider buying a used unit. The lack of availability for new machines is driving up the value for used machines.
    Yep they will not take any new orders on new machines OR molds. They are basically a year out. You would think with that much work they would hire a few more people to push the units out lol

Quote Originally Posted by awayne View Post
    Yep they will not take any new orders on new machines OR molds. They are basically a year out. You would think with that much work they would hire a few more people to push the units out lol
    Magma is a small shop, and reloading machines aren't their only business. They're a steel supply and fabrication shop. It also takes time to train new employees, time they probably don't have right now. New equipment is also suffering the same supply issues as the rest of the industry, plus the fact you have to have room in your shop to set up any new machinery. They're the only game in town right now for casting and bullet processing machines, and they're doing the best they can. I'm dealing with them on an issue with my Bullet Master Mark 6, and in talking to them, you can tell they're under a lot of pressure, but still maintaining their customer service as best they can. Certain parts for these machines are now made from unobtanium, and we're finding that some of the parts for the older machines are now discontinued by WatLow, and other manufacturers.

I'd also prefer to not have my molds made by someone hired yesterday, or the electronics on a Bullet Master Mark 8 done by the same new employee. Believe me when I say the Star Sizer is a very small part of their total business.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    There's a few things to consider. If your bullets are cast with a hard alloy, your Star may not handle sizing down a bunch in one step. Interior finish of the die makes a difference too. I cast, coat and size in a four hour period. All the air cooled alloys I use are still "soft" enough in that time period to get shoved through my Stars without problems. My 9mm bullets are .361-2 after coating. My .357 die lets them through with mild pressure. The finish is real slick. My .3585 needs a little help with my lanolin/alcohol case lube to make it through with moderate pressure. It takes about 2 weeks for the bullets to come to shooting hardness. If you ain't casting, I'd go with the Lee/NOE setup and save yourself the possibility of breaking a Star Lube-sizer. They are not made for jamming on like a single stage "O" shaped reloading press. NOE makes some pretty slick stuff.

I use mine on HiTek and powder coated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast