Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lead Bullet Die possibility

Banned

Lead Bullet Die possibility

Saw a video of the possibilities with lead bullet die. Making various weights nose style and base style. Can also use the lead bullet die to make 3/4 jacketed leas semiwad cutter?

Boolit Master
    Are you talking about the 3/4 jacket type swaging dies such as the Swag-o-Matic. These can be used to reform or resize cast boolits but you must fill the lube groves first or you will loose the groves when swaging the lead. If you were going to PC you could just use any chunk of lead the proper weight that will fit in the die. However the Swag-O-Matic is not a strong press and hard lead should be avoided.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Are you talking about the 3/4 jacket type swaging dies such as the Swag-o-Matic. These can be used to reform or resize cast boolits but you must fill the lube groves first or you will loose the groves when swaging the lead. If you were going to PC you could just use any chunk of lead the proper weight that will fit in the die. However the Swag-O-Matic is not a strong press and hard lead should be avoided.
    No, I saw a fellow bullet swager using a lead only bullet swaging die to swage 3/4 jacket Keith semi wad cutter. Didn’t know you could use jackets in lead only bullet swaging dies. That was kind of suprising.

Boolit Master
    I also have an old Herters swag die but it too was designed for 3/4 jackets. Anything that will swag a 3/4 jacket on lead will also swag a lead bullet in what ever shape you have a top punch for. I have never heard of a lead only swag die other than ones used in factorys.

I have an old "lead only" Herter's swaging die for swaging HBWC .38 bullets. I've never used it, but may give it a try one of these days. The die is made in two halves, split down the middle and has a collet that slides up and holds the two halves together. I didn't get any instructions with the die when I bought it several years ago, but it looks pretty straight forward, and looks like it requires a lot of pressure.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Lead only swage dies incorporate a bleed hole much the same as a core swage die. They are designed for SWC style bullets and can make a jacketed SWC if one is careful NOT to apply too much pressure in the swaging operation. What happens if you do apply too much pressure is a piece of the jacket is extruded out the bleed hole and (eventually) if enough pieces are extruded the hole plugs and... If one is careful and uses cores made in a core swage die, then no problem.

If you are interested in this type of die you can contact the following (listed below).

I have two of his die sets and I believe they are based on the Swage-O-Matic dies but not sure. I have one in 44 cal and one in 45 cal. The dies are made for step style bullets so any jacket material has to be lower then the step on the bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet-0006-a.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	280412
    These are excellent for reforming bullets and are used in a good quality loading press. I use my 44 set to reform a 250 grn round nose to a full wide cutter for a 2x4 shoot i compete in.

The dies are not listed on his website so you will have to give him a call if interested.

Hawk Precision Bullets
    849 Hawks Bridge Road
    Salem, NJ 08079 USA
    Tel: (856) 299-2800
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bullet-0006.jpg  
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.