Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best powder(s) for handgun calibers in rifles

Best powder(s) for handgun calibers in rifles

First off, please forgive me if this has been covered, but my ability to find old stuff on this forum just plain sucks.
    I am still assembling the components to reload for handgun calibers which will be used in Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk revolvers and same caliber Rossi model 92 lever guns.
    Those calibers would include .38, .357, .45Colt, .454Casull and .44 Mag.
    I will likely also be doing 9mm.

I do have a supply of Tite Group which should work for the 9/38/357 and 45.....but, is there another single powder (or two, three) that would work for all of those?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 03-01-2021 at 12:15 PM.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    might look into be-86, unique, 4227, no9, 2400, no7, silhouette, are just a few. it depends if you after full power loads or something less

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    might look into be-86, unique, 4227, no9, 2400, no7, silhouette, are just a few. it depends if you after full power loads or something less
    With the guns mentioned, I feel safe using any load from mild to wild. And thanks for the info.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    700x and Unique works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Use the same powder in your rifle that works best in your handgun. KISS.

WW231 for standard loads and 296 for magnum loads.
    KISS principle like the above poster says.
    Shot through an older Interarms Rossi 92
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Use the same powder in your rifle that works best in your handgun. KISS.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in the OP. That's the idea.....trying to make it easier for this rookie to keep track of what powder(s) I should be on the lookout for.

As I said, I have a supply of tite group which should last me a while. Just assembling a list of others in case I see some on a shelf someplace.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 03-01-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    NRA Benefactor

Unique will work in all of them. It won't take your .44magnum and .454 to the top levels, but it will get close enough. It is a well named powder.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Unique will work in all of them. It won't take your .44magnum and .454 to the top levels, but it will get close enough. It is a well named powder.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I don't plan on hot-rodding and am quite happy with "normal" velocities in all of them. But if I do happen upon a powder with a bit more "oompf", I trust each of these guns to handle the pressures.
    NRA Benefactor

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    TBG is 100 % correct. Unique will do them all, AND, a whole bunch more too.

Click the link.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...spx?powderid=3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    unique for light /medium loads 2400 for medium and heavy loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I will second on the 2400 or No.9 for your heavier boolit loads. They work well in my revolvers and great in my Henry, and Rossi's when I had them.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Bub

I'm partial to 231... Which covers the first the three you list and I also shoot. The last two I don't shoot.

But a quick glance through the four reloading manuals I have makes me think it would be hard to get a on-does-all powder that works well in each round. Your going to have an extreme hot or weak load at one end of the spectrum.

Of or we're me I'd try to find the best powder that shoots well for the lowest volume used for the first three, then the same for the second two. (or possibly the first two, then last three... depending on the powder’s characteristics.

I keep a spreadsheet of the cartridges I load for and track the bullet, powders and charge weights my guns like. Then, when a bullet or powder come available online or at a store, I can sort the spreadsheet by bullet or powder to see how many cartridges that product works for and I buy the volume accordingly.

Of course right now with the shortages... If it is even listed for only one gun I buy a a few pounds of powder or few boxes of bullets. (I’m just getting back into reloading after several years absence)
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Bullseye will work for standard pressure loads and is useful in "more than special but less than magnum" in magnum calibers.

231 will cover a bit farther into the magnum category. There is data for mid range loads in 357 and 44 mag.

Since you already have titegroup , which is on the fast end of the spectrum, if you could find something like unique, bluedot, power pistol, universal, you'd have the middle covered pretty well.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm mostly using Bullseye, 2400 and Unique. I've started buying molds based on if the load data lists those three powders. I know that's probably nothing new to most of the folks here but I started reloading a year ago and I found this forum in Sept. so I'm still learning. It's nice having a minimum of bullets, powder and primers for a pistol/carbine combo.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

For loads with cast bullets in the 44 mag & 454 Casull under 1,200 fps Tight group works well as with the other calibers you Quoated

Boolit Buddy
    Unique, Bullseye, Tightgroup ... depends of projectile, caliber and purpose.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon HS-6

Boolit Master
    Your Titegroup will handle from very mild to mid range for all of your guns just fine. For some of your guns your will be able to get full power (or at least close enough). And the on-line Hodgdon load data has lots of Titegroup listings.

For more powerful loads you will probably want to eventually get something slower burning.

I consider the standard magnum handgun powders to be those with a burn rate from 2400 to WW 296 (same as H110). These allow you to get pretty much true full power loads from the 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt Ruger Only Loads, and the 454. You might consider going a little slower than WW 296 (4227 & 1680 come to mind), but these will be slower than desired for most of what you want.

If you want more than Titegroup can do, but a little less than absolute top velocity, the HS-6 to Longshot range might be a better. This range will not get quite the same speed as some of the slower stuff, but you will use a lot less and you will get less muzzle blast. Given that you seem to be pretty well set for having "a bigger gun" available when you want more power, I do not see you missing out much by not using the magnum powders.

The powders between Titegroup and HS-6 probably do not offer you that much in the way of increased velocity over Titegroup. I would only go for these if you either find a good deal and/or you see your supply of Titegroup getting thin.

If you are shopping in stores, you might want to print a burn rate chart or two, circle the applicable power range, fold them up and stick them in your wallet.

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...rate-color.pdf

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf

https://shootersworldpowder.com/bulk-propellant/#burn
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-01-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you are really new to reloading, please select a powder that a double charge either won't fit into the case or will at least be very obvious when you inspect the charged cases before seating bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast