Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best powder(s) for handgun calibers in rifles

For general purpose use I use mainly Alliant 2400 for magnum velocities in .44 magnum, .357 magnum, and heavy .45 Colt loads.

For standard velocities I use Hodgdon Universal. It's virtually a clone of Alliant Unique, but it meters better and it's cleaner. I used Unique before but no longer.

For hunting loads in my .357 magnum lever gun I use Hodgdon H110, since it achieves the greatest velocity without stressing anything.

I have never used Alliant Bullseye for anything in close to 50 years of reloading and never wanted to.

Unique (or Universal usually)
    H110

Covers the bases from plink to cannonfire.

If you're going to include a 9mm then
    W231
    Unique
    H110

Unique comes the closest to the do-everything powder.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't speak to anything but .44 mag. for personal handloading experience but I settled on IMR4227 which works well in both handguns and rifle. Unique seems to do well in handguns but lacks a little in the rifle length barrel if you are looking for higher performance levels. I've used Blue Dot, H110, Unique and IMR4227. Both Unique and IMR4227 are quite versatile and both allow downloading for less than magnum loads if you want casual plinking where H110 is not recommended for reduced charges.

I settled on IMR4227 for most .44 mag shooting because it performs well, allows loading from moderate to hot and it is also useful in bottleneck cases for cast bullet shooting. I use it in .303 British and .308 Winchester as well and used to load .45-70 with 4227 as well.

However, for lightweight boolits Unique would be a better choice, I think, and it does okay with heavier boolits in longer barrels. As Dunross says above "Unique comes the closest to the do-everything powder." if you want to minimize powders on hand.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    If you are really new to reloading, please select a powder that a double charge either won't fit into the case or will at least be very obvious when you inspect the charged cases before seating bullets.
    Thank you for that caution.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

Unique and H110 is what I use in Blackhawk and lever rifles for 38, 357 and 45 Colt depending of use. Unique in for 9mm handgun and carbines.

The 45 has plenty of stomp with Unique for the most part. The full power loads are fun for a while after 50 to 100 in a row, it ain't so fun any more and my shooting suffers a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Henry .44 and a TC G2 .44. I only use the TC for hunting period. So Im always using heavier charges of powders like 2400. H110, AA9. Im also really starting to like AA 11FS. I try not to go much below the suggested starting load. Except 2400 is a little more flexible in that reguard. But if you are just plinking those are not the best powders. In my rifle I use those powders for hunting also. I usually dont go under the starting load by much . Those powders really arent meant for light loads.
    But for plinking I like Unique, Universal, AA5, AA7, Titegroup. Ive used all those satisfactorily for lighter loads in the .44 mag. I especially like Unique and Universal.
    Last edited by doulos; 03-10-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    First off, please forgive me if this has been covered, but my ability to find old stuff on this forum just plain sucks.
    I am still assembling the components to reload for handgun calibers which will be used in Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk revolvers and same caliber Rossi model 92 lever guns.
    Those calibers would include .38, .357, .45Colt, .454Casull and .44 Mag.
    I will likely also be doing 9mm.

I do have a supply of Tite Group which should work for the 9/38/357 and 45.....but, is there another single powder (or two, three) that would work for all of those?
    Thanks in advance.
    If you are looking to reduce down to one or 2 powders Unique and 2400 would offer you the most flexibility for those calibers IMO.

I do more rifle shooting using pistol cartridges than anything else. It's amazing how much can be done with Unique and 2400. For cheapskates, Red Dot (Promo) also deserves some consideration.

Boolit Mold
    Blue dot, I got a lot of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Like most here, I think two powders is the answer. Titegroup should work fine for the first, and probably 2400 or w296/h110 for the second.

Once you have burned through your titegroup it might be worth replacing it with unique or universal of you weren't 100% satisfied. Both have gobs of reloading data available and most likely either will work well in any new handgun calibers you might pick up.

Unique is often used for cast plinking loads in rifle calibers for additional flexibility. Unfortunately it meters horribly in my RCBS charge master and uniflow powder measurer. I pretty much only use it with dippers because of that, and use universal for most things these days.

Boolit Bub
    H110 for hot loads, titegroup for plinking loads.

Boolit Mold
    I personally like the IMR Target. It's kind of a middle of the road burn rate which makes it pretty versatile.
    Some of your cheaper powder measures might have a hard time with it, but as long as you use quality equipment it's good for almost all pistol calibers.
    Biggest problem is that it's a relatively new powder and the old manuals don't even list it.

Boolit Master

I'm using Alliant Herco. Started using it about 8 years ago when I bought my Uberti 45 Colt. Done a lot of searching to decide which powder had the correct burn rate and load volume for the big case, sticking with medium heavy pressures. I believe Herco is one of the best powders in those categories. I could use less in a faster powder, but I would rather use a powder with not so sharp of a pressure spike, and one that shows a double charge right off. I could use a slower powder, say Alliant 2400 with a lesser pressure spike but not running at the working pressure of the powder, leaves a lot of unburned powder and inconsistent ignition. With the Herco and the charges I'm using, there is no unburnt powder. A heavy dose of Herco in my Winchester94 Trapper, gives me good velocity just shy of 1400 fps. And three grains less, brings my velocity just short of 1000 fps in my Uberti SAA with the 5.5 inch barrell.
    There are a lot of suitable powders, but I think I'll stick with Herco.
    Last edited by littlejack; 04-02-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Mold
    For the most powerful loads I use 296/H110, next level down I like 2400 not so much drama. For just a little bit softer with 200 gr JHP bullets I like AA#7. When it comes to the cast 200gr. RNFP type I have been very happy with WSF. Can't load it down as much as 231 and not as flexible as Unique but at 9-10grs it's magic. If you load lighter it is very dirty and the brass will show just how dirty. Not enough pressure to expand the brass to fit the chamber. I tried WSF a few years ago when we had another powder shortage maybe two shortages ago, there have been a few. I had used it for my 45acp 1911 and 9mm but was glad to see it has other uses like 200gr cast RNFP loads. Very good in 45 auto and 9mm for high power loads. I've gone to WST for my 45 auto for softer shooting target loads nowadays so I have a lot of WSF now for my Henry Steel 44 Magum and glad I do with the powder situation. There are many powders that will work just have to be carful how you use them and do the research and take nothing for granted.

H110 for full House / Hunting Loads with jacketed bullets in the 357/44 mag H110 + JHP bullets = DRT hunting rounds

Boolit Master
    I would go with two powders. Your titegroup is fine for low to midpower loads but I would use a second powder to get closer to the top end for mag rounds. 2400 won't give quite the velocity of H110/296 but close enough. 2400 also down loads well to mid power loads where H110 does not down load well. Blue dot and AA9 are about the same level as 2400.

I would not try to use just one powder from mild to wild but two will get you a long way toward that goal. Just figure out a way to easily tell the mild from the wild such as silver primers for one and brass colored for the other.

Boolit Bub
    I used Clays for years while shooting Cowboy. Then switched to Trail Boss. TB is very bulky for lo recoil loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    First off, please forgive me if this has been covered, but my ability to find old stuff on this forum just plain sucks.
    I am still assembling the components to reload for handgun calibers which will be used in Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk revolvers and same caliber Rossi model 92 lever guns.
    Those calibers would include .38, .357, .45Colt, .454Casull and .44 Mag.
    I will likely also be doing 9mm.

I do have a supply of Tite Group which should work for the 9/38/357 and 45.....but, is there another single powder (or two, three) that would work for all of those?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sharpe once wrote in his 1937 hand-loading manual...

"The 44-40 is capable of excellent performance when loaded properly for handgun use. If, however, one endeavors to combine loading for both handgun and rifle in this caliber, he is destined to meet with only mediocre success. As in all other dual-purpose cartridges, the factory loads are only a compromise at best. Smokeless-powder loading for handguns requires a much more rapid-burning type than loading for rifle use, as the short barrel must burn all the powder if satisfactory results are to be achieved.

Now I know the OP is not loading for the 44-40 nor is he loading for any other vintage rifle cartridge. However, let me explain, share some insight for the 45 Colt, 44 Magnum and 357.

Back in the day during 1935 (I think...based on memory and that is dangerous!), IMR-4227 was introduced. This powder directly replaced #1204 which was IMR's powder used in the old dash cartridges such as the 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 types. #1204 was a mid-range rifle powder that worked best for the 22 Hornet. IMR-4227 directly replaced #1204 and is also a mid-range rifle powder that was best suited for the 22 Hornet. This powder still works very well in the dash cartridges....referring to "old black powder" cartridges used in both rifle and revolver. 2400 was introduced in 1932 (again I think) and is also a mid-range rifle powder. It is referred to today as a "Magnum" powder because it works so well in the large case capacity cases for pistol use and the 22 Hornet is now almost unheard of in comparison.

Both 2400 and IMR-4227 have a burn rate slower than Unique & Bullseye and work well in the longer rifle barrels where the powder has more time to burn. This "burn time" is needed for some cartridges like the 44-40 to keep the chamber pressures low whereas chamber pressures are maxed out when faster burning pistol powders are used in said rifles trying to replicate original black powder velocities.

In other words, best performance is achieved with most cartridges used in pistols when using fast burning pistol powders BUT when using those same calibers in rifles, the shooter would probably yield better ballistics when using slower powders...just like Sharpe said!

For the 45 Colt (a pistol cartridge), you may get better performance in revolvers with fast burning pistol powders like Bullseye and Unique, but may fair better in rifles (for accuracy at distances) with a slower burning rifle powder (refer to your handloading manuals). This is why the 44-40 is a "rifle cartridge" that can be used in pistols. It fairs best in pistols with fast burning pistol powders (Unique, Bullseye etc). If shooting past 100 yards in rifles (265 yards for my use), the shooter would more than likely get better over-all ballistics with slower burning rifle powders (2400, IMR-4227, Reloder 7)......or, of course...black powder (John Kort - 300 meters)

However, in modern true pistol cartridges that yield higher chamber pressures such as the 357 and 44 Magnums, the use of mid-range rifle powders (2400 and IMR-4227) for both pistol and rifle use may produce best results. YOUR MILAGE MAY VERY depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Smokeless Powder Transition Years
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...ansition-years
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 04-14-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Green Dot, Red Dot, 700-X, 800-X, Hs-6, and Power Pistol for moderate loads and 2400 for magnum loads.

I'd like to nominate Power Pistol for consideration. I use it in revolvers and lever actions for 357, 44 mag and 45 Colt. It meters better than flake powders, comes close to completely burning in revolvers and gives higher velocities when operating at the same pressure as Unique. While I love Unique as much as many cast shooters, I'm glad to have access to Power Pistol. My standard load in 44 mag is 9.5 gr with the Lyman 429421. It is accurate and reasonably powerful when fired in a 6" revolver, 10" Contender and Rossi 92.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast