RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Flexi Lube max velocities

Boolit Bub

Flexi Lube max velocities

I once read about Flexi lube preventing leading to higher velocities. Now I can not find the source. So ... I give up. I'll just ask here.

What kinds of velocities is anyone getting with wheel weight boolits lubed with Flexi lube and not having leading issues?

I'm casting what I call "Enhanced Wheel Weights" I add 1 oz of 60/40 lead tin solder to lb of wheel weights.

Moderator Emeritus

what's Flexi lube?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I think he ment Felix Lube. Auto correct might have got him.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Felix Lube, a homemade soap lube.

It the small batch size that put me off giving it a try. Also I don’t think it’s a black powder lube.

All one could want to know about Felix lube, can be found in the link below. Felix Robbin's was a fine gentleman. I had the pleasure of visiting him in his home and called on him for advice many times.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Short-Version

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how fast you can use felix lube. I believe it depends on several factors but I'm using it in a 35rem at 2200 with accuracy and no leading

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all for your answers. Not Auto Correct Rcmaveric. Just an old bifocaled dyslectic guy who likes to shoot. I might not be able to spell target but I can hit em.
    2200 FPS with a 35 Rem. Pretty good. rbuck are you using gas checks too?
    I just shoot lead in my pistols and I don't have anything that gets anywhere near 2200 fps.

The Old Salt,

If all you're planning to use Felix Lube for is handgun shooting? I don't think you'll have any problems with Felix's lube working just fine. I will say this, if you decide to make a batch of Felix lube and you wind up with leading in your pistols? You have problems other than Felix lube. I fired many magnum loads both .357 & .44's and never had any leading issues. One word of warning though. Felix lube tended to leave my guns feeling a little tacky from the residue it leaves behind. All in all, I've tried more lubes over my 35+ years of casting and loading my own than I can remember. I've yet to find a lube that didn't leave a little something behind. On the other hand, I never have minded cleaning my guns after a fun time of shooting. Ahhhhhhh, the wonderful smell of Hoppe's #9.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Yeah gc on the rcbs 358 200gr with wcww. That was using a full jacketed bullet load of IMR 3031 in a very old M8 Rem. I like the smell of Hoppes #9 but the wife hates it so I have to use it in the garage.

Buy the way MURPHY are you the same MURPHY that used to be on the Alaska Outdoor Forum a few years back?

rbuck351,

Nothing like being out back in my man cave, the music rollin' out oldies, the room reeking of Hoppe's #9 and a gun that needs scrubbing. I have walked in the house to hear the wife say, what have you been....never mind. She knows the smell of Hoppe's #9 and knows a quart bottle is always a safe bet for a gift for me.

I'd not heard of the Alaska Outdoor Forum before. So no Sir, not the same Murphy.

Murphy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The Old Salt,

If all you're planning to use Felix Lube for is handgun shooting? I don't think you'll have any problems with Felix's lube working just fine. I will say this, if you decide to make a batch of Felix lube and you wind up with leading in your pistols? You have problems other than Felix lube. I fired many magnum loads both .357 & .44's and never had any leading issues. One word of warning though. Felix lube tended to leave my guns feeling a little tacky from the residue it leaves behind. All in all, I've tried more lubes over my 35+ years of casting and loading my own than I can remember. I've yet to find a lube that didn't leave a little something behind. On the other hand, I never have minded cleaning my guns after a fun time of shooting. Ahhhhhhh, the wonderful smell of Hoppe's #9.

Murphy
    I feel the same way!!!����

Boolit Master

Ive run felix lube up to 2500 f.p.s,,in .222,,,with no leading issues.

Boolit Master
    I've pushed a 7BR to about 2200 fps with no fouling at all.