RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mec 650?

I have used all the progressive Mec loaders in all gauges. The 650 gave me the best results and if I were to go back to MECs I'd use 650s

Boolit Master
    Back in the day when I used to shoot skeet, it was simple and fun to reload 2 boxes of 12 skeet loads in 30 minutes, with my mec 700. Which is nothing more than a 600, with what they called pro-check at the time. Btw, cost of reloading a box is shells was $1.75.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    It's well worth the price. At worst it's an investment that will pay off profit wise if you never use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    If you didn't buy let me know if it's south of KC.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot a lot more rifle and pistol (and even muzzle loader) than I do shotgun, but there is a MEC 600 Jr in my loading room right now. If factory ammo is cheap and available, I shoot it. But when times get tight, like they seem to be all over the country right now, I simply load up a bunch of yellow 20 ga Winchester AA hulls and I'm good to go. I buy a serious supply of components when they are available and keep them on hand all the time if needed.

If I didn't already have the 600 Jr in 20 ga, I'd certainly look long and hard at that 650 in 20 ga for $100, but in my case it's almost a "prepper thing." I want to be ready and able to shoot when I want to shoot, not when market conditions say I can!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

I was back that way this afternoon so dropped in to see if it was still there. Fortuitous that the owner of that particular stall in that antique mall was standing there, so I asked a couple of questions. He didn't know much about it, but said he'd make me a deal on it, I asked what he needed and he came back with 50 bucks, so it came home with me.

Seems to be all there. I'll have to look up some instructions for it. As to sizing the hulls, I guess I can use my 20 gauge Load All for that until I get something better.

I wish this one had been a 12, I'm more likely to load 12. Already have a 600 in 16 gauge. I'll get out and mess around with it when I get some time.

Boolit Master
    Fifty bucks is a very good deal for a Mec 650/20 ga.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    You saved enough to start a penny bank savings account for a new 20 gage shotgun .

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was back that way this afternoon so dropped in to see if it was still there. Fortuitous that the owner of that particular stall in that antique mall was standing there, so I asked a couple of questions. He didn't know much about it, but said he'd make me a deal on it, I asked what he needed and he came back with 50 bucks, so it came home with me.

Seems to be all there. I'll have to look up some instructions for it. As to sizing the hulls, I guess I can use my 20 gauge Load All for that until I get something better.

I wish this one had been a 12, I'm more likely to load 12. Already have a 600 in 16 gauge. I'll get out and mess around with it when I get some time.
    GOOD for you!! Those are wonderful presses. Hope you getter all set up and learn to really like it.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Banned

This is the third pretty good reloading find I've made in antique shops the past few years. I commonly seem to find old roll crimpers and empty powder cans and such.

Got too much to do the next week or so, hopefully can get the time to sit down and concentrate on it after that.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    This is the third pretty good reloading find I've made in antique shops the past few years. I commonly seem to find old roll crimpers and empty powder cans and such.

Got too much to do the next week or so, hopefully can get the time to sit down and concentrate on it after that.

Great price for your 650 Rich. Just sit down and resize your hulls at one time and put in a bag for reloading sessions. Load up you primers and powder n shot an away you go. I find the main trick to MEC loaders is mounting them super secure. The more solid the mounting the better they work. Congrats Rich. I think your going to find yourself shooting 20 ga more often. Be sure to get it set up for 3 inch and then get a 1/4" spacer to go underneath and then your use of either 2-3/4 or 3" is easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    100.00 for 650 mec is a good deal. back in the 70's i shot and reloaded 1000's of loads on a 650 no problems.

Boolit Master
    take a few shells along and try them at the different stations.
    Use a fired primer to reprime.

Boolit Master
    Used a 650 when I was shooting trap and skeet. Much faster than a 600. You may want to check out the price of a 12 ga conversion.

Went through an antique shop today and there is one of these in 20 gauge that looks in very good shape and as far as I can tell isn't missing anything (take that for what it's worth, I'm pretty ignorant of shotgun loaders) priced at $100. Good deal? I have a 200 gauge Lee Load All, but figure if I get around to seriously loading for 20 gauge, it might be worth it.
    although the 650 does not resize you can either install a sizing die or use your lee load all to deprime and resize the hulls then run them through the 650.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I bought a RCBS Super sizer and run my hulls through it prior to a trip through my MEC presses or my Red Pacific 366 for that matter.

In 20 ga. I have a 600, 650 and a PW 375

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

i have two mec 9000 and four mec 650,s along with two lacmiller resize-decap tools and load all ga,s. but for the last 4-5 years i have bought two of the four boxs federal trap-skeet loads 12ga 1-1/8oz-#8 shot and 20 ga 7/8oz-#8 shot for 20-21 dollars a box(four boxs of shells). at those prices i quit loading and those prices were good just last week at walmart(but you have to get there at the right time). but at a auction friday night they were getting 100-110 a flat for federal top gun trap-skeet loads.

You did very well with that purchase Rich. I would have paid the $100 but $50 is a great deal. Gp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12