Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm cast bullet for SE whitetails. . .

Boolit Buddy

10mm cast bullet for SE whitetails. . .

I have decided to trick out my Glock 40 MOS 10mm for close quarters deer hunting. I primarily hunt in Alabama, Georgia and Florida, so bucks range in the 125/150 pound range and some a little better. I have purchased a 6" KKM barrel and I will only be shooting cast boolits for all my hunting purposes. . .I will also be practicing with same loads. My dilemma is I do not know what bullet I want to cast for; 180 grain Accurate Mold 40-180B or the 200 grain 40-200C? I will be loading over Longshot and/or AA#9 powders and I will be keeping shots 50 yards and less. On paper there really is not much difference in these two bullet weights at the distances I plan on shooting. I have shot MANY hogs and two deer with this pistol using Hornady 180gr XTPs with great success. . .I just prefer and enjoy casting my own bullets and do not want any regrets in my casting bullet weight decision. Anyone with actual first hand hunting experience using either 180 or 200 grain 10mm cast boolits please let me know your thoughts.

I did use the "search" function, I just didn't find the info I was looking for. Thank you for your time.

Boolit Master

I have the same pistol with a kkm threaded barrel. I usually load around 1050 fps with a MP 200grain bullet. I have shot through a couple of deep broadside that were already down and needed a finishing shot. I really wouldn't worry too much as long as the bullet is 180 or heavier and you keep the velocity up. The old norma standard was a 200 gr bullet at 1200 fps. You should be able to easily achieve that with a 6" barrel.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 03-01-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply BK7saum.
    I have been leaning towards the 200gr. slugs for the deeper penetration. . .but I will be shooting cast and either way should get adequate penetration over jacketed. I've shot quite a bit of Underwood 200gr. powder coated cast and like them with the factory Glock barrel, I just don't have any to try in this new KKM barrel only the 180gr. XTPs I've loaded. I'll need to make my decision soon, I want to place my two mold orders with Tom at Accurate by weeks end.

Boolit Master
    Why not go with the 180 gr bullet & more velocity, you're still going to get plenty of penetration, most likely complete penetration & if the bullet isn't too hard you could get some expansion with the faster bullet.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Why not go with the 180 gr bullet & more velocity, you're still going to get plenty of penetration, most likely complete penetration & if the bullet isn't too hard you could get some expansion with the faster bullet.

Dick
    That was my thinking in regards to the 180gr., "on paper there is not much difference". I would really like to get my hands on a few of each and see what the gun likes. . .but that 200gr. is still beckoning me!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Going from j-words to cast usually means going up slightly in boolit diameter, I'd check the throat and see if you have any freebore ahead of the chamber, and see if it will let you plunk a .401" before you get too involved in loading for it. It may need to be throated to plunk a .401" seated out to COA specs in your load data. And the longer ones DO feed better.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We only shoot shoot 200 grain FN slugs in our 10mm Glock and numerous 40 S&W Glocks. Never any question in my mind about will it have enough penetration on a critter of any type. That extra 20 grains of FN lead is better than insurance to produce a fine leaking exit hole.
    Same load works great (40 S&W) in one of those KalTec model 2000 carbines.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

my LEE 180gr has a meplat as wide as my 44mag 503 Keith bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8164BA90-1BCD-4FB1-A9AF-BF86CC18C40E.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	279311

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Man
    Let me know how how it goes i have the same gun with the 7 inch kkm barrel. I've never thought to hunt with it, but I'm ringing the 100yard 10" plate at the range consistently with a burris fast fire on it. I would feel very confident at taking shots on a whitetail up to that distance. And i have the lee 180gn mold. Been loading them with 8.5gn 800x since im out of 231 and titegroup. It was out of necessity and not my first choice of powders, but its a great load.

Boolit Master

I like a WFN as will feed in your gun

180-200g for a weight.

Im able to pass 1300 in my 180's pretty easilly and 1250 ish on the 200's. Have t gotten a single complaint on lethality! I have shot THRU shoulders and spine with EXIT.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I have just been very graciously offered some of the Accurate 40-200C casted bullets to try in my G40!!! This is the bullet that I've been leaning towards in my mind. I have several pounds of Longshot and Power Pistol to experiment with, so this should be great! I'll be able to see how things will function before dropping dime on the mold. . .doesn't get any better than that!!!

I joined for similar reasons. Glock 20 with a MechTech carbine. 10mm and to start 175gr Lee 6 cavity and PC bullets. Haven’t made any yet, just got my alloy ready. I’ve been shooting 180 XTP’s into hogs with the 16” carbine at 1500 FPS. Knocks them out!

Boolit Buddy
    Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone used the 200gr Keith SWC from Arsenal?
    Cargo

Boolit Buddy
    The old 38/40 used a 180 grain bullet started at 1200 to 1250 out of a rifle loaded with black. I have talked to guys I know using the above load to shoot deer out to 150 yards. 38/40 and 10 mm use the same bullet.
    Steve

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    I joined for similar reasons. Glock 20 with a MechTech carbine. 10mm and to start 175gr Lee 6 cavity and PC bullets. Haven’t made any yet, just got my alloy ready. I’ve been shooting 180 XTP’s into hogs with the 16” carbine at 1500 FPS. Knocks them out!
    I have one of these as well. Question; Mine shoots VERY WELL BUT... I MUST vise grip the firearm. Meaning very firm hold no movement in firing and I can clover bullets @ 50/60 yards. But if I set in bags on a bench ir shoot standing 3-4" 50/60 yrd groups. Strange... Just wondered if you saw simular.
    I do like it I have a Venom 3moa reflex on mine.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have one of these as well. Question; Mine shoots VERY WELL BUT... I MUST vise grip the firearm. Meaning very firm hold no movement in firing and I can clover bullets @ 50/60 yards. But if I set in bags on a bench ir shoot standing 3-4" 50/60 yrd groups. Strange... Just wondered if you saw simular.
    I do like it I have a Venom 3moa reflex on mine.

CW
    No sir, haven’t seen that. It is very accurate and I routinely kill hogs out to 90+ yds. I have a Romeo5 red dot and a night vision behind it. I put it where I want to hit and that’s where it ends up. Most hogs are DRT. All shots are offhand or on a flat rest unaided. Like any short barreled rifle, the sight radius is short and movement must be held tight. Also, I’m used to holding down pressure on the front end from AR shooting. It’s my main ranch rifle for hogs. Quick follow ups.

Boolit Master

She is a power house! I have to travel for hogs so this one is a hog virgin! But a couple Song dogs Didnt like it one bit!! . 135's at 1800 surely apply the smack down!

Boolit Grand Master
    when I had a 10 mm I used a beartooth boolit it was 200 gr I believe
    worked famously
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunseller View Post
    The old 38/40 used a 180 grain bullet started at 1200 to 1250 out of a rifle loaded with black. I have talked to guys I know using the above load to shoot deer out to 150 yards. 38/40 and 10 mm use the same bullet.
    Steve
    This was pretty much what I thought regarding the 10mm / .38 WCF.

While I'm sure a 200 grain bullet of the same design will penetrate deeper than a 180, I doubt very seriously that it will be necessary on 150# or less whitetail deer. Unless you plan to take a lot of Texas heart shots.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Bullet weight really won’t matter,
    I’ve had complete penetration with Hornady 155gr XTP’s. Exit wound, bullet tracks, broken bones look identical to those by a .30-30 with a 150gr bullet.

Accuracy is the prime concern. I suggest trying several commercial cast bullets to find what YOUR barrel prefers. I’ve found the Lee 145gr SWC (casts to 155gr) over book loads of LongShot to be completely adequate for deer pigs or whatever. My G22 is 2.5x more accurate with a $48.00 Bear Creek Arsenal drop in .40 barrel than the factory barrel.
    I also like the Lee 180gr TCFN.
    Whatever yo do, DON’T get the Lee 180 TL-TCFN. I’ve had three! None would demonstrate any kind of accuracy. First was obviously defective and sent back to Lee. Replacement cast slightly undersized and LLA lubed bullets keyholed if shot above 800fps. Even powder coated they shoot patterns, not groups. A six cav didn’t do any better. Even a fourth mold belonging to my brother shot through a Taurus PT99 shoots pie plate groups at 15yds.

In 1991, I shot a 120lb doe with a Hornady 200gr XTP fired from a S&W 1006 5”. Bullet penetrated both shoulders, spine, and exited. It then hit a yearling behind her breaking its jaw and lacerating the left carotid artery and exiting. It ran under my stand and stopped about 10yds away. I shot it in the head as it stood shaking its head slinging blood.
    Even the .40s&w is enough for me. My .40 loads are only ~75-100fps below a 10mm. Not enough to make a real difference.
    Get the Lee 6cav 180gr TCFN (not tumble lube). It works fine with LLA, conventional lube, or powder coated. A powder coated 180 is more than enough for the S.E. USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast