RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: LBT Soft Blue Lube

Boolit Mold

LBT Soft Blue Lube

I have used LBT Soft Blue in my Saeco Lube Sizer for about 30 years with good results at revolver velocities of 800fps through about 1200fps. No leading if bullet fits cylinder throats. Recently started loading cast gas check bullets for centerfire rifle: 30-06, 303, 6.5 x 54 MS, 38-40 WCF, 38-55 WCF and still no leading with loads in the 1,500fps +/- range.

My question is this: some of these cast bullets are either very long (won't fit the Saeco lubesizer between die and nose punch) or the diameter bullet I need is not a standard Saeco size and I therefore have to order custom sizing die from Buffalo Arms. So,,,,,,,,,,I got started with NOE push through and interchangeable bushings....all well and good, but I want to stick with the LBT lube and hate to melt down the sticks to do the pan lube and cookie cutter method.....Is there a formula for home made LBT Soft Blue Lube?

Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus

MottySpecial,
    Welcome to the forum.

LBT lubes have proprietary formulas.

There are lots of DIY lube formulas here that will pan lube well and work for standard castboolit velocity rifle loads. A few to search for are Ben's Red, Simple Lube, and Juniors' 411.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Ben's Red is a good one I have pan lubed in the past with. I had good results also with Simple Lube in the winter. It just gets to hot around here in my parts for simple lube. If left in the sun it fouled my powder. Simple trick was to keep the ammo in a cooler.

I prefer soap lubes these days but they don't remelt easily.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    Lathesmith here on the forum could probably make you the sizing dies you need

Boolit Bub
    MottySpecial, carelesslove, here !

I have recently (~18 months ago) cleaned out all the lubricant from both my SAECO and LYMAN 4500 lubersizers, and replaced it with LBT SoftBlue. I did this after talking to Veral Smith and ordering a .44 cal mold, a box of SoftBlue lubricant, a few top punches, and some of his mold lube sticks (beeswax + colloidal graphite). I have since ordered a large supply of SoftBlue - based on uniform success, in several calibers / molds / guns.

I listened and learned a lot in my lengthy conversation with Mr. Smith, and everything he said has proven to be correct. I did not ask him what went into the SoftBlue, but I have a strong feeling that he ain't gonna give up the formula - to no one! From my own brief experience with SoftBlue and the 40+ years with ALOX (and a couple of other lubes), SoftBlue smells & feels very different from any other lube I have tried and flows better (at room temperature) through my lubersizers and evenly fills single or multiple lube grooves and stays put! It is good stuff.

If you end up following rockrat's advice on the custom sizing die maker - Lathesmith - please let us all know. It seems that the old guard - RCBS, LYMAN, Redding/SAECO, and LEE are only going to make what they want to make, in "standard" sizes. They have literature that says they will make custom dies, but it seems they are stretched to capacity, just making standard sizes.

Good luck, Tom "carelesslove" Love