WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Regional flat rate boxes

Regional flat rate boxes

Could someone explain where these are better(cheaper) than a standard flat rate box ? I understand that the A box is limited to 15#. Are the Regional boxes only cheaper when one needs to use a medium size box ? I use the sfrb mostly. Besides possibly the padded envelope, is there a Regional alternative that is cheaper than the standard sfrb ? Thanks in advance as the USPS website is about as clear as most government information.

Well I don't know bout the regional boxes, but I know just a normal package is cheaper lots of times. From ky to oh or va for example, a mould will ship cheaper in a regular box. No insurance, but with tracking.

I shipped a mould to Idaho a while back and it cost 15.00, so I repackaged it in a SFRB. In that instance, 'twas a savings.

Boolit Master

I think it only matters if you are shipping close, and light. If it has to be a long way, then a flat rate would be better. I recently sent a regional box out to TX from TN and the cost would have been better as a flat rate, I could have fit more, and it wasn't all that heavy.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

It all depends where it is going. I compare cost in a plain brown box and usually it just as cheap to go priority mail. The regional a or b boxes a lot of times are also cheaper. If you do click in ship on a regional box a or b sometimes it a couple of dollar’s cheaper. You need a good scale so as to get close to what the postal folks will weigh also.

All depends on what you are shipping, where you are shipping (distance) and what you want to accomplish. Regional is usually a buck or two cheaper than MFRB. But if shipping across the country, you aren't supposed to use. If you have a 15 or 20 pound box, Check Fedex and UPS if long distance. They can be cheaper than USPS.

Boolit Master

MFRB is almost 16.00. As long as I am under weight, like leather items, and don't ship more than halfway across the country a Regional box is closer to 10.00. 6 bucks is 6 bucks.

Thank you for all the responses. You guys confirmed what I thought.

Boolit Master
    RR box rates are based on how far they go. Go to the USPS website and print a zone rate chart from your home zip code. Then go here and see if a RR box is advantageous, which they usually are unless your are shipping outside your region of the country. The "B" RR box is almost the size of a MFRB but only costs a little more than an A box. As stated, best for items that aren't too heavy.

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals...DVlODBiZTVjYjQ.

Boolit Master

The A box is always cheaper than the MFRB, but the B box can be a lot more expensive if it goes very far.

The A box is great if you're shipping something kind of heavy but under 15 pounds, that fits in a box that size. Where the B box shines is shipping heavy stuff under 20 pounds, in a nearby region. I found that I could ship 20 lbs of brass several hundred miles for about the same cost as a SFRB. That same box cross-country though, is really expensive.

I use the A box quite a bit. It's typically $8 to $12 something, depending on region.

Another option is the padded flat-rate envelope. I don't put anything very heavy in them, though technically you can. I use them for things typically only a few pounds, but won't quite fit in a SFRB. They cost the same to ship as a SFRB.

Boolit Grand Master

Regional boxes are better when you calculate the price on the USPS site and it’s cheaper than a flat rate box. Most of it depends on distance. It is really hard to know without going on the site and checking.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned

They used to be really cheap till about 4 years ago. They rezoned all the states so now they are not really worth it unless it is going to a state connected to your state. That right after they started letting you pay for it at the post office. At first it was online only.