Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new bucket list rifle coming

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    Don't have a 280....Remington was kinda late to the party with it. I do have a 1919 Wilhelm Brenneke in 7 X 64 Brenneke. It does ok.....
    another overlooked by the masses great cartridge

Boolit Master

Good news ; happy for ya we’ve all lamented the “one we sold” at one time or another.
    I just gave up on a dream of finding a nice condition 300 savage take down 99. Had brass dies even a few boxes of ammo. As prices climbed and I jumped into my big bore phase and ten long range precision phase just never found the right 99.
    About 2 weeks ago a nice young man doing some serious pluming work for us showed me a rifle someone had given him , a near mint condition savage 99 take down in 300 savage in a beautiful tooled leather case that had snap closures to hold the rifle either assembled or taken down.
    The kid said he’s gotten real interested in deer hunting since moving out to the sticks.
    So we worked a deal - in partial payment for his services he received 3 boxes factory ammo a few loose rounds brass and dies- he’s also just starting to reload .
    If I couldn’t have my perfect rifle I figured the next best thing was helping a decent young man down the path.

Boolit Master

Another thought I’ve a “boring” old 30-06 ruger MK2 that shoots so incredibly well with about anything that years ago it was the first rifle I sunk money into for custom work, HillCountry Rifle did their magic on it- new crown, pillar bedding , adjustable trigger . For a rifle I bought used for under $300 it is my bench Mark for accuracy in hunting rifles. Taken deer bear boar coyotes with that boring old 06 and before my wife was my wife and I was teaching her to shoot her first serious caliber centerfire rifle was that boring 06, at 50 yards with a rolled up sweat shirt for a rest , 3 shots almost touching perfectly centered . A personal branch mark for me of a truly inherently accurate rifle is that just about anyone can pick it up and shoot it well.

And because I’ve always been interested in the 280/280AI thought I’d mention that in my area there is a small one man rifle shop and he turns out rifles that rival anyone’s - mostly caters to the long range crowd but when doing a hunting rifle his favorite and his first recommendation it’s always 280 or the AI flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Nice choice. I think the often ignored .280 is a much better round than either the .270 or any of the 7mm magnums.
    I agree

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Another thought I’ve a “boring” old 30-06 ruger MK2 that shoots so incredibly well with about anything that years ago it was the first rifle I sunk money into for custom work, HillCountry Rifle did their magic on it- new crown, pillar bedding , adjustable trigger . For a rifle I bought used for under $300 it is my bench Mark for accuracy in hunting rifles. Taken deer bear boar coyotes with that boring old 06 and before my wife was my wife and I was teaching her to shoot her first serious caliber centerfire rifle was that boring 06, at 50 yards with a rolled up sweat shirt for a rest , 3 shots almost touching perfectly centered . A personal branch mark for me of a truly inherently accurate rifle is that just about anyone can pick it up and shoot it well.

And because I’ve always been interested in the 280/280AI thought I’d mention that in my area there is a small one man rifle shop and he turns out rifles that rival anyone’s - mostly caters to the long range crowd but when doing a hunting rifle his favorite and his first recommendation it’s always 280 or the AI flavor.

Yup. This is a 10 shot group with cast at 100. Hitting the same spot every time is the definition of boring. Who's going to try additional moulds or powder combos? Booooring.

(Joking aside I did spend a God awful amount of bench, pot and press time to get to that point)

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12