Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...

I preserve wooden items by sealing them with polyurethane clear varnish, diluted with mineral turps. It soaks in and seals it. That can then be overcoated with paint or just the clear polyurethane. I tend to leave the underside unsealed so that any moisture can find its way out.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 03-24-2021 at 01:08 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    Looking good. For what it's worth I would set each leg on a concrete landscaping block, just to keep them out of the dirt.

Ken

These last two suggestions are excellent.

There ain't nothing but good suggestions in this thread!

Got started on the coating part yesterday, stripped all the hardware off and got a quart of Marine Spar Something'or'other (they use it on boat hulls) and a quart of oil based sealer (the white on the top) & today the top gets a coat of oil base color over that...did I mention how much I hate to paint?

"Painting & Plumbing! They both suck!"

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Finally...got some color on her!

Getting closer and closer, gotta do the bottom side and give it 24 hours to dry & I'm looking at mounting the top & getting on the business end of my rifle!
    YeeeeeHaa!

Isn't the business end of a rifle the end the bullet comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Isn't the business end of a rifle the end the bullet comes out?
    I don't know?

Dad used to tell me as a kid, when I'd be goofing off instead doing my work...."You better get on the business end of that shovel boy before I have'ta" ....or the business end of that paint brush...whatever I was supposed to be doing was always the business end to Dad.

"Once in a 'Blue Moon'...you just have to sit back and relish the moment when a project goes well!"

All the work is done, the bench is in place & I'm ready to go tomorrow...just ran out of steam today!
    Had to use a short stool with shims to determine the right stool height for the new bench...

I needed a little mount for a golf type umbrella so I made one from an 1.5" PVC and an old 'C' clamp...

Had to make a few shims/pads from an old cutting board for the rest and the c-clamp...that rest has pointed leveling bolts and it would have wrecked the paint job on the top...

All in all though...I was very satisfied, I hope that we will see some more 'refined-one hole groups' in the weeks ahead?

I think...all I need now is a cover for a BBQ or a small ATV to protect it and the stool from the sprinklers when the irrigation season starts.

Looks like a winner to me. Only question I have is, do you get enough rain to soften the dirt under the table?
    The table is heavy enough it may sink a little when the ground gets wet and softens.

Looking very good! So is the view over the hills you have there.

Looks like a winner to me. Only question I have is, do you get enough rain to soften the dirt under the table?
    The table is heavy enough it may sink a little when the ground gets wet and softens.
    I'm going to follow Pressman's advise and put a landscaping stone under each foot, just haven't had the time or energy to go buy some....been kinda busy lately.

Had a heckuva night trying to sleep . . . gotta date on the 50 yard line today!

The other trick would be to place a set of discs under the stakes (with center holes for the stake). That way the stakes can still anchor the bench. Or drill through the landscaping stones. Or not.

Looking forward to your 50 yd results! I'm off to the range shortly to test ammo (and have trigger fun).

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I'm going to follow Pressman's advise and put a landscaping stone under each foot, just haven't had the time or energy to go buy some....been kinda busy lately.

Had a heckuva night trying to sleep . . . gotta date on the 50 yard line today!

Have you given her a name yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    The other trick would be to place a set of discs under the stakes (with center holes for the stake). That way the stakes can still anchor the bench. Or drill through the landscaping stones. Or not.

Looking forward to your 50 yd results! I'm off to the range shortly to test ammo (and have trigger fun).
    I welded 3" square pads on the ends of those rods...

Have you given her a name yet?
    No Taz...hahaaa....she's just a her & vise versa.

I'd say those pads would support the bench in wet weather just fine. In my parts however - well, sometimes our lawns turn to mush. Not where I am now - I don't have a lawn at all. I'm in the bush!

So I went to the range today. Great fun! My late dad's 22 Mauser shot rather well with a scope. Very pleasing! I didn't do too badly with open sights with my 511 either. Very encouraging. I'm getting quite motivated to mount that aperture sight on the 510. I have figured out how I'm going to do it. Just need to pick up the material.

The Ozzies have a neat name for she's - they call them Shiela's.

P.S. I really like your bench creation. You are a clever man! You give me inspiration.

Twas a great day for shooting ... it's been too long!

I really enjoyed having a real bench for a change...the picnic table is retired to the barn.

I shot what is on the right side of the yellow line. Thought I'd use the '0.5-20'...make just one 'warmer spot' in the top circle and go with all the rest without letting it cool off.
    I didn't impress myself, I have to admit I was rusty & out of practice but unfortunately, I'm at the end of the 'Eley-Match' I've been enjoying. Down to 2 boxes of that...

Eley sent out e-mail notifications, I think it was Thursday last...I got online immediately and tried to order 3 bricks of the Match @ 1,048fps, the slowest Match they had. They had such a run on their website that their computer would time-out and I'd loose the page I was ordering on. Smart me decided to open two tabs and double my chances of getting through...that ended up in a disaster and my order eventually got into the basked but it was 6 bricks by then!
    Finally, a couple time-outs later I have the amount I wanted and went to check out, at this point their server said that my e-mail is somebody else's...that my e-mail is not me!
    "Well, that sunk the duck!"
    By the time I got on with my wife's e-mail, made the order and headed into the checkout...they didn't have enough stock to fill my order and I left empty handed. I bet you boys could hear someone cussing from where you live! I was livid!
    SO I send them a e-mail begging them to straighten out my e-mail address so I won't miss the next time they get more stock...they resolved that the next day.
    "Oh boy ... that was a bad deal all around!" The notification said all orders have to be placed on their website, no call in orders! God, I hate computers!

Now, I'm faced with using the Eley 'tenex', I have 500 rounds of those yet, I don't like them as they are faster than the Match and I think they flirt with the pressure wave up here at 2.2K feet ASL. But, I'll take that over nothing to shoot at all.
    That meant starting over looking for some nodes to work through, so I spent the after noon preparing this chart here...

I checked every .012 & .013" incrimentally for the entire .500" travel of the tuner. That is kind of a wide sampling but several possible nodes did appear.

Am I seeing some rather impressive results or am I just seeing impressive results!

Pity about the loss of that order. Just an aside - would you happen to have or be able to get any CCI Mini-Mags? Not that you would want to upset the bore conditioning but it would interesting to see just what Mini-Mags can do in your rifle. I kinda see them as a benchmark. I've shot some rather nice groups with them. I won't be trying them again for a while simply because I don't want to upset my rifle bores with copper wash ammo (and I certainly wouldn't expect you to). At the moment I'm sticking to greased ammo and even those show some 'conditioning' when changing from one to the other.

Boolit Master
    That’s one fancy bench.
    On the right side to sit on and all.
    Well if you can’t shoot any better from now on , then at least you will look spliffy doing it.
    Can’t see the cat sleeping bed to rain in the empties.
    You haven’t a bolt pouch and take down tool and a swanky ammo tray.
    Where the plastic flag you shove up the bore and all that fluff?

You need at least 3 wind flags with ball bearing races and swivels on the vanes some tails and fan blades to judge the wind proper.
    All target height where it counts.
    That’ll be only another thousand.
    And I wanna see some screamer patches and meeting patches embroidered on a jacket or something.
    Man you need some more gear.
    At least about a Ute load to be sure.

O.K. Then I’ll buggar off back to the cheap seats and shut up and watch then.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 03-28-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OS OK, for a cover, you can DIY treat your cloth of choice, dissolve Silicone caulk in Stoddard solvent (Or gasoline if you don't have any, just don't burn yourself up!) - then paint that onto your cloth, could also soak the cloth in it but that requires more mix. Ultralight Hammocking folks use that with ripstop nylon for rain flys, theycall that "SilNylon", but you could treat a tablecloth, satin, denim, most any cloth to make it waterproof that way. Fairly inexpensive and your choice of fabric.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast