Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...

KILLOUGH SHOOTING SPORTS has Eley Match .22lr in stock as of 30 minutes ago. https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

tazman...!... WOW I am glad you didn't get something in the eye or worse!

This past two weeks I have been thinking about a ruptured case because I am in the habit of putting my free hand (I'm a leftie, it is my right hand that's free) lightly over the scope at the turrets. I see the little exhaust hole in the side of the receiver to jet gasses out to the side and my right hand is over that...strange that your reporting a ruptured case, that would likely have burned my palm.
    I wonder if I should stop that? How bad was the escaping gasses?
    I'd hate to change how I'm handling the MKII as that hand really steadies that rifle. What would you advise?

I'm considering this a 'Word to the Wise' type thing since I haven't bothered to change since I had those thoughts.

PS...I'm glad it is position forward too. That'll be easier to deal with. Nice work taz.
    Last edited by OS OK; 07-22-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    tazman...!... WOW I am glad you didn't get something in the eye or worse!

This past two weeks I have been thinking about a ruptured case because I am in the habit of putting my free hand (I'm a leftie, it is my right hand that's free) lightly over the scope at the turrets. I see the little exhaust hole in the side of the receiver to jet gasses out to the side and my right hand is over that...strange that your reporting a ruptured case, that would likely have burned my palm.
    I wonder if I should stop that? How bad was the escaping gasses?
    I'd hate to change how I'm handling the MKII as that hand really steadies that rifle. What would you advise?

I'm considering this a 'Word to the Wise' type thing since I haven't bothered to change since I had those thoughts.
    I didn't get much in the way of gases. I doubt any of the powder actually burned. I think all the pressure was from the primer. The powder that got blown out of the case plugged all the vents and areas around the bolt. Most of the powder was on one side of the bolt face and breech area.
    The single shot magazine adapter I use, stayed in the rifle and was undamaged. I removed it when I cleaned the powder out of the rifle mechanism.
    I always wear safety glasses when I shoot and didn't feel anything on my face. I also use double ear protection(plugs and muffs) so I didn't really hear anything either. Had a centerfire rifle working next to me on my right.
    I thought the shot sounded a little strange and I couldn't see a bullet hole in the target, so I started checking things.
    Basically, I got lucky.

Come to think of it, The case rim may not have split. I couldn't find the case after I got the bolt open. I had to pound on the bolt handle to get it open, so I can't prove the rim cracked.
    The powder didn't burn. I know this because the powder was on the bolt face and breech area of the barrel. It may be the primer pressurized the case and made it very difficult to extract. The powder may have dumped when the case came out of the chamber.
    The position of the bullet in the barrel would appear to be a primer only position.
    That would also explain the lack of escaping gases. I have no idea why the powder didn't burn.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tazman, that is a strange occurrence for sure. I cannot imagine what would cause it...but glad to hear no damage to you.

As to the position sensitivity, I am surprise you found any difference. My rationale is the powder used for .22's is fast and the case is not large...but that is why testing is done...to determine reality.

Your shoot report shows you are a lot closer to getting things dialed in than you think. Nice shooting....OLD MAN!!!! LOL
    Don Verna

taz...that's the danged-est set of circumstances I ever heard. I can't even start to imagine the sequence of events...dang-it, if we only had that case!

But . . . c'est la vie . . . ain't we always trying to figure something out with out enough evidence? This'll be a riddle I won't soon forget.

I have had a cartridge with no powder in it(centerfire reload) do that in just that way, but never one that had powder. Those always clear the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have had a cartridge with no powder in it(centerfire reload) do that in just that way, but never one that had powder. Those always clear the barrel.
    You get enough pressure to jam the pill in the lands a couple inches but not enough heat to ignite the powder...then the bolt is all jammed up like you had a case head rupture from extreme pressure & still the powder didn't ignite....
    Think I'll stop there...I'm overloading my pea-brain!

It doesn't make any sense to me either.
    I just finished cleaning the rifle. I can't find any problems so I guess I will see what happens next trip to the range.

Just for the sake of information. I looked at the bullet/projectile a bit today and noticed it has a hollow base. I would expect the Eley Match to use the same boolit design as far as the base goes.
    Interesting. They may be using that hollow base to blow out the heel to better fit the barrel and give more driving band surface area. Similar to a hollow based wadcutter in a handgun.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the misfire.

Banned
    Last year I posted questions about measuring rim thickness on Rimfire Central. They all had a good laugh at my expense. 100% of the responses felt it was a waste of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Last year I posted questions about measuring rim thickness on Rimfire Central. They all had a good laugh at my expense. 100% of the responses felt it was a waste of time and effort.
    It's too bad that we have to deal with these types who never judge anything from experience & collected data, they judge from their keyboard instead.
    You get enough of them in a forum and they turn into a 'Wolf pack'...any serious type searching for truth through experimentation doesn't have a chance.

Instead of explaining themselves when they disagree they choose to be demeaning to the OP...instead of posting hard data, they 'Parrot' something they heard or read somewhere else.

Yah...it can be a tough route to go when trying to share with the general public out there. "Gotta grow some thick bark to survive!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    the thing itself is not particularly expensive or risky, so it seems easier to me to try groups of 5 or 10, measured vs. not measured.
    if it works on my rifle, ok_ it's not dogma or leap of faith.
    (I'm among those who measured. my rifle, my business: I was fine with it, period)_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I measured the weight and rim thickness of some of my less expensive ammunition and found some fairly significant differences in both weight and rim thickness. I didn't shoot any of them for group. I just tested them to see if there was a difference.

All of the high end match ammunition I have measured weighed the same as every other cartridge in the lot and the rim thicknesses were the same. Very consistent. I measured Eley Match, Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas+, and Lapua Center X.
    I even purchased a rim thickness tool to make measuring the rims easier and still no difference. If you can't measure the differences, there is no point in trying.

In both of these posts... New to using a 'PEEP & GLOBE' at 50 yards...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BE-at-50-yards
    & New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BR-at-50-yards ...we have 'spitballed' extensively about 'barrel movement'. I have searched the net high & low for slo-mo video of barrels actually moving when fired and not found anything useful.

Thanks to Harry Tobin again we now have something to watch. He sent me this link...

a couple weeks ago and I forgot to post it...here you will see a radical barrel movement.

There has been no more progress testing the 'Torpedo Tuner' with Eley Match as I have had very windy weather here behind enemy lines due to the fires.
    Stay tuned...

That is some seriously crazy movement.

Boolit Grand Master
    Go to the 1:30 mark on video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBMlfhlxYg

And this is interesting but applies to thinner barrels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yzKLyARNeU

Observations:

Most of the "whip" occurs after the bullet has exited the barrel. Makes me surmise tuning is a greater factor with slower bullets and longer barrels....ie more barrel time.

I wish they had taken a picture form over the top of the barrel. Does the barrel whip as much side to side as it does up and down?
    Don Verna

I NEVER IMAGINED...such movement!

Forums like Al's Varmint Page will put a different idea into your head with his 'computer simulations' (I don't care much for those as a computer will spit out pretty much what you program in) I like these slo-mo videos instead.

Thanks for the links Don.

I've been somewhat inactive...due to the air quality & high temps (100º ~ 104ºƒ)...the smoke from all the fires we have out here 'behind enemy lines'...
    Here's a sunset I took about an hour before it hit the horizon...the picture from the iPhone doesn't do it justice, it was glowing RED...

It cleared up some yesterday so I got out and thought I'd try to start a little challenge called 'Cut the String'

I took a piece of 30# monofilament off a bait caster and tied it to a hex nut for weight & hung it from a screw over a target backer...put a couple spots to the side for 10 warmer shots and backed off to the the 50 yd. bench. (take all the warmer shots you want, no limit there) hmmmm...I couldn't see the monofilament so I took a black magic marker and colored the line and that made it stand out.
    I figure that 10 warmers will get my barrel prepared for the challenge.

I thought prolly 3 shots ought'a be enough for us all to cut string. Either Lady Luck is still hanging around here or maybe this challenge isn't what I thought it would be after all...
    I cut it first shot...didn't hit it squarely as you can see...so, there's room to beat this luck by cutting that string squarely with the windage.

Give it a try, lets get some traffic going again in this post heh?

Post your targets and number of shots to cut the string & what you thought regarding this challenge...'pro's & con's',
    the idea is to get folks out on the 50 yard bench & if you have an idea for another challenge, post it...post the rules and what you have done to set the benchmark.

Boolit Master
    over here at the bisley range they are now shooting 300yard comps for 22rf .

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast