Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingPBcastco
Wideners Repackbox
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...

Forrest r... THANKS for explaining the barrel anomalies. I appreciate it.
    You've mentioned the ground glass several times but since I can't do anything about that but clean the bore, I haven't worried over it.
    I have JB Bore Shine ordered and will polish what I can, certainly polish that leade area.

Wonder why Eley Match uses paraffin? Tenex uses a bees wax blend but for $4 a box more it's not worth it since both shoot the same in this rifle...I fail to see a difference in the two. My lack of experience maybe, i don't know?

I know, I get a big smile on when I read that stuff . . . "As long as they do their part"

dverna . . . I've seen that card trick also, one of these days I'll try that.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

A good friend, Eli...over at 'Day at the Range.com' sent me templates to copy of his games & challenges on his site...

Top left...shoot 5 single rounds at the smallest spots (X's) and get that score, one shot per circle.
    Top Right...shoot the smallest 2, 5-shot groups you can and he will post your target and put you in the list of scores.
    Bottom Left...they call the Green Monster, I think I will start using this for practice, I like the compact size and plenty of area to make notes. Right now I'm after nodes, not points.
    Bottom Right...the Hostage target, one shot on each one...don't hit the hostage. Add your points up & post.

All fun targets, I haven't shot any of them yet, just got a stack back from the printer two days ago.
    That penny shoot was the first really fun thing I've done since getting both rifles...been too serious --- too long!

dverna... thought about the card trick last night, this morning got busy and gott'er done.

I had a full value @ 9:00 wind...thought I'd get ahead of the game and use .010" brass shim stock so it wouldn't wiggle in the breeze! (helped some)

"Lady Luck smiled on me some, got one honest split!"

Those little edges are a 'tad-bit hard' to hit!

Now that looks like fun!

What a perfect split! And the great thing is you don't have to worry about vertical stringing!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

What fun....!!!!!!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Had another idea for a tough but fun target challenge...little box nails with heads about the same size as the lil'.22lr pill...

Use as many warmers/sighters as you want...then 10 shots, one for each nail...then count up the carnage.
    (I'll prolly be able to count my hits on one hand, if I get Lucky! )

Joe Leadslinger said I should use 'tacks'...then, if I get lucky . . . I could claim my rifle is a 'tack driver'!

You need to boost your confidence and use finishing nails.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Had another idea for a tough but fun target challenge...little box nails with heads about the same size as the lil'.22lr pill...

Use as many warmers/sighters as you want...then 10 shots, one for each nail...then count up the carnage.
    (I'll prolly be able to count my hits on one hand, if I get Lucky! )

Joe Leadslinger said I should use 'tacks'...then, if I get lucky . . . I could claim my rifle is a 'tack driver'!
    Now if ya took a really sharp axe head and put it on the back board and put a balloon on each side, when you split the bullet both balloons would explode, but I like the tacks too.
    Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

These would be just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    You need to boost your confidence and use finishing nails.

taz...
    I need to polish that throat and dial that scope before I step into a 'bear trap' of my own making with the nail target!

Harry, 303Guy... I think the tacks are a great idea too. Then we officially can claim our rigs as tack drivers!

I have seen a you tube video of a contest where some 22lr benchrest shooters were trying the thumbtack shoot at 50 yards.
    They didn't do as well as I would have thought before I got into this sport. Now it seems about right.
    Not going to say how well they did, but the shooter in the video didn't hit anywhere near all of them.

I have a shoot on this coming Sunday. I don't get as exited anymore simply because we are in our rainy season and the more exited I get the more disappointed I get when it rain us out. That hasn't happened yet but I'm hedging my bets for Sunday (the real rain is still to come - so far we have just been getting the warnings of more to come). I do however have a jar of those tacks!

I have seen a you tube video of a contest where some 22lr benchrest shooters were trying the thumbtack shoot at 50 yards.
    They didn't do as well as I would have thought before I got into this sport. Now it seems about right.
    Not going to say how well they did, but the shooter in the video didn't hit anywhere near all of them.
    tazman... I can certainly sympathize with these shooters..."this ain't no easy task!"

I wanted to wait till I got that leade polished some and the scope dialed in but didn't. Oh I twisted on the turrets alright but as you'll see...I left plenty room for improvement.

Had to use a 'wee-bit' of Kentucky windage, POA was the 10:00 on the nailhead...

Here's today's conditions...mighty friendly...3/4 & full value from the left side...

Boolit Man
    Ive shot tic tacs glued to toothpicks . They are fun. Another one that was fun large lifesaver type candy with the hole in the middle just large enough to pass a bullet through , the goal was not to break the candy on them.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Ive shot tic tacs glued to toothpicks . They are fun. Another one that was fun large lifesaver type candy with the hole in the middle just large enough to pass a bullet through , the goal was not to break the candy on them.
    A friend of mine on TRN, SixShooterTexan suggested that challenge. To win, a man would need absolutely centered 'X' shots...I think I can bust up a lot of life savers!

Boolit Master
    Paint balls on golf tees.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

The berms at my local rifle range extend several feet above the top rail of the target boards. Sometimes, people will put small nails in the top of the boards and put apples, potatoes, or other such on the nails and shoot at them at the longer ranges.
    Mini marshmallows might make a good target.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Paint balls on golf tees.

Tim
    SixShooterTexan mentioned doing the paint ball thing with his high powered air rifle in his back yard at 30 yards....said the paint balls explode.

He also posted what the hole measures in a life saver...

This has to be the ultimate challenge...with a hole that size, you'd better make sure your directly in front of the hole, there's not much room for error here.

Another fella on TRN tried the 'nail challenge' with this rig here...

He did a good job on those pesky nails too...

There's a lot of silliness in these latest postings...just having fun for a change. One fella said it's one thing to shoot a group but it's another thing to 'have to hit something' & do it.
    I'm still waiting delivery on the JB Bore Shine so I can slick-up that leade and then get back to data collection to determine if it'll help to shrink-down the group size?

I am at the point where I would rather go out each morning and just shoot for the fun of it...

The berms at my local rifle range extend several feet above the top rail of the target boards. Sometimes, people will put small nails in the top of the boards and put apples, potatoes, or other such on the nails and shoot at them at the longer ranges.
    Mini marshmallows might make a good target.
    Yesterday I had the goofiest winds you could imagine...not strong, generally 1 ~ 3mph but blowing in every direction and sustaining for about a minute on each change of direction.
    It gave me an idea of how to cope & dope with the wind. I didn't take pictures of the results to explain what I was trying to do yet...I am up to my elbows at the moment changing the starter on my Zero turn mower...my hands are too big but I'm about done & I can get back to shooting soon.
    You haven't mentioned how you are coming along with your doping the wind for your contest & I have been thinking a lot about what I'd do if I were to compete...I'll get some photos today and see if I can explain what I tried to do...

I haven't accomplished anything yet. I have had some days with very little if any, wind and have been trying to improve my groups.
    Right now, I am having some issues that I can't figure out. My groups are larger than the ones I shot last fall and early this spring using the same ammunition.
    I can see any movement in the scope and there isn't enough there to move the bullet out of the circle but it is still happening. I am getting 4-6 shots right on the dot in the center and the next may be cutting the outside of the ring.
    All the shots feel the same to me.
    I am capable of holding better than half MOA with my centerfire rifles. Why won't this match rifle do even 1 MOA consistently?
    This rifle costs more than my centerfires and the ammunition cost just as much or more in some cases. It is the best setup I can afford and it just doesn't shoot consistently.
    Maybe I am missing something. I assume that the same handling and shooting techniques that I use for my centerfire rifles will work for rimfire as well. Is this not true?

I participated in that competition again yesterday. I watched the big boys get set up for their unlimited shoot.
    Lots of wind flags and speed indicators. They set them up on tripods in line with their targets and just under the line of flight of the bullets. Easy to see and very sensitive to any air movement. Usually 5-6 of them beginning about 25 feet in front of the bench with the last one maybe 10 yards from the target.
    The range gets colorful when the unlimiteds are shooting. Lots of variations in style of the flags but they all give the same information.

The rests for the rifles are really something. All of them had a spring loaded connection to pull the rifle back to the same position on the rest after any recoil. All were fully adjustable for level and both vertical and horizontal alignment.
    Most shooters used the thumb and finger squeeze to fire the rifle. Some were discussing their trigger weight before the shoot began where I could listen. Trigger weights were in the 8-16 ounce range with most going as low as they could set it without the rifle firing when the bolt closed.
    I couldn't tell by watching from behind, if they had their shoulders in contact with the butt of the rifle or not. Bad angle for observing that.
    Many of them didn't have their cheek in contact with the rifle when looking through the scope for aiming. They were able to look through the scope without a cheek weld either by cocking their head or using higher rings.
    All of them had tuners of some sort on the barrel. No single brand dominated. Lots of different brands.
    Nearly all shooters were using either Eley match(black box) or Lapua(either Center X or Midas+).
    They would use levels when stapling their targets to the backstop so when they moved from one target dot to the next, it was all just a horizontal movement.

They shoot 4 target sheets of 25 rounds each for score, plus sighters(which don't count) and do an aggregate for the total. Call it at least two and a half boxes of ammunition minimum, for a shoot.
    It takes them about 2 hours to do the entire shoot, give or take.

There were several different brands of rifles there. Some were custom built. I didn't get close enough to see the scopes.

I couldn't find a good position to observe from after they began shooting so I left.
    Last edited by tazman; 06-13-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast