RepackboxLee PrecisionPBcastcoLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...

Had a nice morning for shooting... Did a lousy job of keeping them in the 10 ring...

I started out with the 4.75-13 setting that I thought was going to be a real spot shooter and wasn't, then switched over to the 4.75-14 and did a tad better but not much.
    I have been pushing the amount of rounds I shoot before wet swabbing the barrel and am at 445 shots total now...I'm kinda curious to see if I wet swab now and stay with the same setting if I can gain a few more 'X's'?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Maybe someone here can tell us the proper scoring for that target and comp. I might have been reading the wrong rules but what I read said that an x is when the whole dot is consumed and that you score using the worst edge not the best edge.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Maybe someone here can tell us the proper scoring for that target and comp. I might have been reading the wrong rules but what I read said that an x is when the whole dot is consumed and that you score using the worst edge not the best edge.

Tim
    Dang it Tim. . . You gonna make me cry!

As I understand it, IBS no longer holds sanctioned rimfire shoots. The targets are still available.
    American Rimfire Association is the sanctioning body doing rimfire competiton these days. At least in the US.
    The ARA has two classes. Unlimited and Factory. Your rifle would fall into Unlimited category. Anything goes for the most part.
    Factory class is where my rifle falls.
    The targets for the two divisions are different sizes but are scored the same way.
    The target you are using closely resembles the size of the Unlimited division target.
    Here is a picture with the scoring instructions except for X designations.
    I think Tim has it right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized3002000002.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	282941

I went to a relatively local shoot today. The round shot goes quickly since there is a 20 minute time limit. You can shoot all the sighting shots you want in addition to the 25 scoring rounds but it must all be completed in the allowed 20 minutes.
    It was raining lightly with zero wind when I shot my score. There were only five shooters in my division. When I left, I had the high score for my division. I don't know if anyone else shot in my division later.
    The club calls it an informal shoot since it isn't sanctioned by the ARA for my division. They also use their own target. It is of a size in between the ARA Unlimited and Factory targets so the club can print their own without copyright issues. It is scored the same way.
    They were holding a sanctioned Unlimited division shoot after us poor boys got done.
    Those guys came to the tables with rifles and rests similar to your expensive one. Most used the same ammunition you are using. Eley Match in the black box.
    I didn't stay and watch. I probably should have to see what I could learn.
    Last edited by tazman; 05-15-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Man
    Ibs targets are scored best edge. Touch the dot and its an x.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Ibs targets are scored best edge. Touch the dot and its an x.
    That should make OK happy

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    That should make OK happy

Tim
    It does! BUT . . . . there's coming a time where this target will be too easy scoring that way & I'll have to do it like you say Tim, just to keep the challenge going.

Made a few changes...and got out and did some test shooting this morning...

Received this new leather bag last Friday...many thanks for the recommendation to buy it, don't remember who'all said it was a good one but, I thank you all.
    This is the Beez-Kneez of rear bags for a decent price for sure...

This bag is firm & those ears don't wiggle around as I embrace the butt-stock...also, I took the two white poly extensions out of the butt so I could reach around the butt-stock farther without pushing on the side of it...that seems to be better now.

A while back, I tested the 4.75-0 setting all the way up to the 5.0-0 setting, the full .025" of the last of the adjustments on the tuner...'weight all the way forward'.
    There were two settings I didn't investigate, 4.75-9 & 4.75-10...both looked promising as there wasn't much of a vertical component to speak of at these nodes...

Here's what I got...(starting with a fresh wet-swabbed barrel), I had already shot 445 rounds since the last 'wet swabbing' and thought it was time to start fresh again...

Now...I'm not going to make any predictions on either of these settings as they both look like they have promise...
    We had a rainstorm move through earlier this morning and the wind was not entirely cooperative this morning. I am going to shoot another target or two so I can give them a fair evaluation with that early morning '0' wind I normally have.

All this testing...sure uses a lot of ammo. Of the 3 bricks I got recently, only two are left now. But...I'm having a really good time!

Quote-----But...I'm having a really good time!

And that is the entire point!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    It does! BUT . . . . there's coming a time where this target will be too easy scoring that way & I'll have to do it like you say Tim, just to keep the challenge going.
    If you want to try a more difficult target, look at IR50/50 or USBR (The Green Monster).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Made a few changes...and got out and did some test shooting this morning...

Received this new leather bag last Friday...many thanks for the recommendation to buy it, don't remember who'all said it was a good one but, I thank you all.
    This is the Beez-Kneez of rear bags for a decent price for sure...

This bag is firm & those ears don't wiggle around as I embrace the butt-stock...also, I took the two white poly extensions out of the butt so I could reach around the butt-stock farther without pushing on the side of it...that seems to be better now.

A while back, I tested the 4.75-0 setting all the way up to the 5.0-0 setting, the full .025" of the last of the adjustments on the tuner...'weight all the way forward'.
    There were two settings I didn't investigate, 4.75-9 & 4.75-10...both looked promising as there wasn't much of a vertical component to speak of at these nodes...

Here's what I got...(starting with a fresh wet-swabbed barrel), I had already shot 445 rounds since the last 'wet swabbing' and thought it was time to start fresh again...

Now...I'm not going to make any predictions on either of these settings as they both look like they have promise...
    We had a rainstorm move through earlier this morning and the wind was not entirely cooperative this morning. I am going to shoot another target or two so I can give them a fair evaluation with that early morning '0' wind I normally have.

All this testing...sure uses a lot of ammo. Of the 3 bricks I got recently, only two are left now. But...I'm having a really good time!
    Only 4 shots left of center and some just barely...looks promising
    Don Verna

If you want to try a more difficult target, look at IR50/50 or USBR (The Green Monster).
    It looks like they score this one 'worst ring'...

If they score this one the same way, I can see half the folks packing up their gear and heading for home!

Boolit Man
    USBR and IR50/50 are both scored best edge. Here is the usbr scoring

Name:	ScoringtheUSBRTarget1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	283066

Name:	09.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	283067
    Last edited by TrxR; 05-17-2021 at 09:57 AM.

USBR and IR50/50 are both scored best edge. Here is the usbr scoring

Name:	ScoringtheUSBRTarget1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	283066

Name:	09.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	283067
    OH...I get it now, thanks. The target I posted didn't have the resolution to see the detail.

That's a tough target.

I had not intended to share this target... it was a session where I just wanted to putz around with the rifle and not try to prove or test anything...just shoot and relax & get familiar with this new leather rear bag.
    My intentions were to try to shoot that 4.75-10 setting in on the scope adjustments and try to get some good tight shots in that 10 ring...take my time and choose the wind...it's noted there on the target and was anything from mostly zero up to those numbers & direction.
    When you see an (arrow + a number) in a target frame, that is a scope adjustment in clicks (1/8'th MOA).

Targets 1 ~ 8 > The red marker around the hole is the first shot on those targets, I didn't shoot them again until the end & after target number 25. I'll get to that in a minute.
    I have gotten into the habit of laying my right hand over the scope and resting it there after adjusting the front rest for the shot. I haven't put that hand under the rear bag in some time...I don't think it's productive to try to squeeze the ears of a tightly packed sand bag. I engage too many more muscles in my body when I'm trying to relax them all.
    Anyway...these first 8 shots put the thought in my mind that resting my right hand on the scope may not be such a good idea, even if it tends to steady the rifle.

At target 18 I was convinced I needed to stop that with the right hand...I brought it back under the stock and rested it there.
    Targets 19 ~ 25 > Were like night and day difference in the 4.75-10 node. The results there are dramatically different.
    I thought..."IF this is so, I should be able to go back to the targets where I made such a lousy shot to start off this session and correct those shots with at least a 10 ring shot." (those shots are in yellow)
    Also...the wind has picked up to steady @ 2.5 mph, it's not much of a wind but it is steady. I figured I would compensate for the wind by aiming 1/2 a bullet diameter towards 10:00 on the targets...I marked T-19 & T-24 to show the POA. I used that POA for the rest of the session.

Well...like I said I wasn't going to post this target, it's complicated & hard to explain but there was a big lesson in it for me & I thought I had better share it with you fellas.

As much as a person would like to, you can't perform an operation requiring muscle input, the same over time because your muscles get tired.
    Getting as much muscle interference or body contact out of the shot as possible can only result in more consistency. I learned that during my time in target archery. It applies just as much to firearm shooting.
    Unfortunately, I am not very good at it yet. I still have interfering habits to recognize and break.
    Even the rifle doesn't stay the same during long string of shots. It heats up and cools down and otherwise reacts to humidity, pressure stresses, and lube/fouling build up.

You just have to learn to be as consistent as you can and live with the result.

What annoys me is having to live with variables I don't have much if any input or control over, like ammunition, wind, eyesight, and just getting old in general.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    As much as a person would like to, you can't perform an operation requiring muscle input, the same over time because your muscles get tired.
    Getting as much muscle interference or body contact out of the shot as possible can only result in more consistency. I learned that during my time in target archery. It applies just as much to firearm shooting.
    Unfortunately, I am not very good at it yet. I still have interfering habits to recognize and break.
    Even the rifle doesn't stay the same during long string of shots. It heats up and cools down and otherwise reacts to humidity, pressure stresses, and lube/fouling build up.

You just have to learn to be as consistent as you can and live with the result.

What annoys me is having to live with variables I don't have much if any input or control over, like ammunition, wind, eyesight, and just getting old in general.
    You are so right tazman... Decades ago I hired my FIL as a general foreman, one of the things I heard him say on a daily basis was..."Getting old sucks!"...
    I got so tired of hearing him say that...several times in a day at times. God how I wished he'd just shut up about it & get on with life.

Now the ironic thing is... 'Now I say it almost everyday too!'

That's looking very good, OS.

For me the annoying thing about aging is my eyes. While I still see fine generally, not so much looking through sights. My scopes that used to work fine now don't focus the target! A few still do. Just this past Sunday my attempt with my Toz failed because I couldn't focus through the scope. I know I can fix that with better scopes but I'm a retiree. But not being able to see properly with open sights really bothers me.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Got out early today . . . to catch that lull in the morning breeze and I missed it.
    Oh well...now we are going to deal with it. Even going to try to use a little Kentucky Wind-age. At this wind speed & direction I feel fairly confident that I can shoot into the wind almost a full bullet diameter. We'll see how that worked in a minute.

One of the new things I am incorporating into my setup is to place that right hand down on the base of the rear bag after I have the elevation adjusted on the front rest...this is how I'm holding that bag and putting a small correction to the windage, it doesn't need much when moving the rear end of the rifle.

Another little change, I hope for the better is that in 'pinching off the rounds', I am using a tiny bit of thumb pressure forward on the rear of the trigger guard.

So...those are the only changes and this is today's progress. Some of the rounds worked and some didn't. Right as I touched them off the wind died, either died back a little or I had a sudden lull that lasted about 15 seconds.
    Anyway...I got what I got.

I kinda like this setting, still wanting a good day, a day of lull & slack wind to be sure...we'll see?

Boolit Master

Post #355 and #359, just shoot target 10 over and over, skip all the others.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast