Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...

Thank you.
    I was having a good day.

taz...! That is a gorgeous rifle. The groups your getting right from the box are tremendous...just think how you will be doing once your familiar and really settled in with the best support.
    I am envious!

Thank God that my LGS doesn't stock that rifle or I'd end up in the 'Dog'House' with my wife!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I was watching a youtube video a few days ago that suggested that longer barrels had the potential to give better accuracy. Something about getting a little more twist time in the barrel while exiting with less pressure.
    There may be something to it. My two most accurate CZ rifles both have longer barrels. One is a 452 trainer with a 24 inch barrel and this AT-one with a 24 inch barrel.
    My other CZ rifles have 20 inch barrels. Hard to believe that another 4 inches would make that much difference but the proof is on the targets.
    OS-OK.... I believe your 452 has a longer barrel as well, true?

Boolit Grand Master
    Tazman,

I am considering an AT-One stock for one of my rifles. Would you share your impression of it?

OS OK,
    Sorry for the thread drift.
    Don Verna

taz...it does.

Don... This thread is all about our 22.r rifles...'all our rifles' & parts-n-pieces & accessories & ideas & experimenting...there's no way you can get this thread drifting...everything goes with my blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Tazman,

I am considering an AT-One stock for one of my rifles. Would you share your impression of it?

I like it. It is solid where it counts. The adjustable parts all work well and easily. There is just enough of a flat on the bottom of the fore end to sit on a bag well. I didn't notice any looseness or sloppy fit in any of the moving parts on the stock. Nothing rattled.
    I like the color. At a glance, it appears to be wood even though it is a laminate. The laminate seems to be actually stronger than real wood. The action bolts on my rifle were tightened at the factory to 30 inch pounds on the front screw and I tightened the rear to 25 inch pounds. That is where I was getting those great groups. You can't tighten a real wood stock that tight without damaging the wood.
    The only thing I have found to dislike so far isn't a deal breaker. The cheekpiece has to be dropped to it's lowest setting in order to remove the bolt from the rifle for cleaning and safety. Now, I am leaving the cheekpiece at the lowest setting and shooting it there. With no body movement while shooting from a bag, it isn't a problem and helps me get less pressure on the stock.
    I thought the cheekpiece might feel odd but it doesn't.
    I found that with my rifle, it preferred the bag being placed under the front action bolt with just enough room to remove and replace the magazine easily. Apparently, there was enough vibration to mess with the consistency at the end of the forearm. However, I moved from the front of the stock to the middle on the bag before I did the final tightening of the screws so it might not matter now.

So far, I have only had it to the range the one time. If anything further comes up, I will report back about it.
    I also have a 455 with one of Boyd's Evolution stocks on it. It also performs well although it feels a bit different due to the thumbhole pistol grip for the trigger hand.

OS OK..... The barrel on this rifle is threaded on the muzzle. I am wondering if I could get a tuner similar to yours that I could thread on or off as needed and experiment with that. I guess I will need to do some investigating.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-09-2021 at 08:07 AM.

These Harrell's Tuners are 'clamp on' taz...

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr...ire-tuners-403

Erik Cortina makes a barrel tuner also that offers thread adapters for rimfire... https://www.shootsmallgroups.com/pro...tuner-tapered/

I didn't think you mentioned the trigger weight and how it felt...or if you did I forgot already, how's the trigger?

About the forearm support...I think we generate less interferrence with our embracing and backing up the stock when the forearm is supported out on the farthest part. It take more movement from our end to move the sights than if that rifle is placed on the bag like a seesaw on a fulcrum.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the review of the stock Taz. I will get one or maybe two as I have two rifles that shoot very well but wear those ugly plastic things. It will likely be a winter project as I have lots of things on my plate before the snow flies, and deer season is just over a month away.

I noticed on their web site that both the grip and forearm can be changed out.

BTW, one nice feature of laminated stocks is they are less prone to warpage from humidity changes and like you said, they are stronger.
    Don Verna

Dverna ……. You are welcome. The grip and forearm can’t be changed on mine.

Os ok …….. the trigger is set at 3 pounds currently. I haven’t adjusted it yet. Nice and crisp. Given the results I am not sure if I will.

taz... if you can adjust down to 1 pound or less, you owe it to yourself to experience a trigger like this.
    If you do? I'd like to hear your assessment of the experience.

I git back to the range today. I took the MTR and the 452 trainer with me.
    For some reason, I could not get the MTR to shoot. I had cleaned the chamber well last night and shot nearly 75 rounds of ELEY Match through it this afternoon and it never did start grouping.
    The 452 Trainer, on the other hand, shot very well. It was giving groups slightly larger than the AT One but still good enough to score a 2400 out of 2500 on the ARA Factory class target I use.
    There is a club near here that has a chicken silhouette shoot this Saturday morning. They hold it at 100 yards. You are allowed to use a front bag but must support the rear with your hand only.
    I tried the 452 at one hundred just to see how it performed. I have never shot any of these at 100 yards before.
    The first five hit low as expected. I was lucky in that the group was centered right on the third hash mark down from center on the vertical crosshair.
    I changed my aim by using that hash mark and fired 10 shots at the center.
    The 10 shot group measured 1.25 inches center to center. The first 5 shots measured slightly under an inch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized30037100001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	290167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized30037100002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	290168

I am quite happy with that.
    Now I am wondering what the AT-ONE would have done.

Wow taz...that's something else! I'll bet your going to do well at the chicken slaughter!
    Can't wait to see what the AT-ONE will do...

Wind warnings Monday... I'm thinking..."a good time to shoot at the 'X' and find out how much the projectile will deviate with various wind speeds and directions."

We had high, 18 MPH steady winds early of the morning but I didn't think to try this until late in the afternoon & by then it was not strong & steady, it was switchy and less than 10 MPH.
    This is what I mean by switchy...the 4 wind flags did not agree...

This is when I tried to shoot, when they all blew in the same direction...

I wanted to see if the deflection would match this right hand twist wind chart...

This is what I got, the circular arrows mean it was every which of a way when I peeked up after loosing the shot...this is going to take quite a bit more data gathering to make sense of the deviations actual distance for MPH...

It is more than I suspected.

"Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Eley Match is in over at Killough Shooting Sports."

https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...ley-ammunition

Compensating for the wind again...

I shot mid-morning today with the wind, trying to learn to compensate the right amount for the different velocities & angles that it will blow.
    I used a more 'score forgiving' target so the results weren't such a blow to the psyche...I've been using the Green Monster Target and it will really hurt your feelings!

Amazing how much a relatively small wind will move a 22lr bullet isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Amazing how much a relatively small wind will move a 22lr bullet isn't it?
    No kidding taz...after all this shooting, I still don't have it down firm just how much a projectile actually moves off the 'X' for any given MPH from any direction. I get a lot of 3:00 & 9:00 with 1/4 variations on those but I'm struggling to get a scale worked out!
    Heck, I had the iPhone out leaning against the front rest so I could reference this picture here as I would watch the flags...

This is no simple matter. I'm not going to panic just yet...something always 'clicks' and then I see things differently, that just ain't happened just yet!

I've been watching this guy "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL TV" ( https://www.youtube.com/c/ASMSTV/videos )... just discovered his Y-Tube channel, anyway...been watching him shoot on a 50 yd. bench and was watching his wind flag, it's got a lot more information about wind direction than my simple ribbons have. His flags show a 3-D type look at a pair of tail fins on the swivel vane, you can actually see small changes in wind direction as it relates to the compass rose.
    I can't do that with my ribbons, might be time to look into a store-bought flag or two?
    Last edited by OS OK; 10-20-2021 at 01:27 AM.

These are the flags he uses...you can see the direction they point very easy with this double vane of red and white...I think I can make these very easy. I'll try my hand at it tomorrow.

That flag is an ingenious idea. Let us know how your version turns out.

So far, I have been shooting without any wind indicators other than the trees and what I can feel. I am not certain flags would help very much as the wind always swirls on the range where I shoot.
    I have yet to have a day where the wind is really calm. Usually, it runs in the 5 to 12 mph range. There are tall fairly dense trees on all sides of the range except for directly behind the benches. Even there, the benches are at the bottom of a long hill.
    The trees and the hill cause the wind to swirl in the open space of the range. You never really know which direction it is blowing.
    I should try some flags just to see if the indicators actually help in my circumstances.

When I first got serious about .22 BR, I used to blame the ammo for almost every flier I couldn't claim from my own inability to control that POI...
    didn't run any flags or even understand what wind does to the lil'Pills we shoot. In my mind then...I thought it must be just like center-fire.
    Boy was I wrong...even the small steady wind of 2 or 3mph can move that pill to the side by it's own diameter & that will rob me of a lot of 'X's' I thought I had in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I git back to the range today. I took the MTR and the 452 trainer with me.
    For some reason, I could not get the MTR to shoot. I had cleaned the chamber well last night and shot nearly 75 rounds of ELEY Match through it this afternoon and it never did start grouping.
    The 452 Trainer, on the other hand, shot very well. It was giving groups slightly larger than the AT One but still good enough to score a 2400 out of 2500 on the ARA Factory class target I use.
    There is a club near here that has a chicken silhouette shoot this Saturday morning. They hold it at 100 yards. You are allowed to use a front bag but must support the rear with your hand only.
    I tried the 452 at one hundred just to see how it performed. I have never shot any of these at 100 yards before.
    The first five hit low as expected. I was lucky in that the group was centered right on the third hash mark down from center on the vertical crosshair.
    I changed my aim by using that hash mark and fired 10 shots at the center.
    The 10 shot group measured 1.25 inches center to center. The first 5 shots measured slightly under an inch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized30037100001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	290167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized30037100002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	290168

I am quite happy with that.
    Now I am wondering what the AT-ONE would have done.
    Taz my friend you are the man! You guys are among the chosen ones. The only way I shoot that type pf groups at 100 yards with my .22's would be if I employed a great deal of chicanery. At 100 yards with my .22's I am minute of berm.

Taje Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536 LastLast