Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are great groups!!
    Don Verna

I would be happy with any of those!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I reshot 2 of those settings this morning...it was perfect conditions. I tried to measure with a caliper this time & I WON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!

You can be off .025" and never notice it...you need microscope eyes, I measured these dang things several times and got different measurements each time...screw this!

Anyway...rant over...I think these settings did pretty well. I have no idea if these numbers are even close, the groups look better today & that's all that counts.
    I think it's time to shoot some spot targets like I did the other day where I shot a 249...see if these settings will improve the X count?
    I need to do some practice & enjoyment shooting and change things up some...

PS...I did re-stuff that Caldwell with sand and that helped quite a bit but them ears are really flimsy, I had to duct tape it to a block of wood also to get the the height I need to shoot over the rise in the yard...I think I measured it at 4.5" to the flat between the ears...I need a tall bag like this.

I started to order another bag last week and hesitated. Maybe some of you might suggest (with a picture) the better rear bags?
    Those groups are looking good.

As for rear bags. I can suggest some good companies but i dont have any pictures on hand.

Protektor makes a good bag and decent pricing and will customize the bag to your needs.

Edgewood

Seb

Lenzi

Now the last 2 a pretty pricey.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    I reshot 2 of those settings this morning...it was perfect conditions. I tried to measure with a caliper this time & I WON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!

You can be off .025" and never notice it...you need microscope eyes, I measured these dang things several times and got different measurements each time.......
    When I download the pictures they are 120 dots per inch, using that the one you got you calipers on I size at 0.33 inches the other two that are visible in the picture are .25 and 0.42. Those are nice groups but are they the worst of the series, all of the series or just the best. They average between 5/16ths and 3/8ths. Your caliper measurement is good to the nearest 1/100th. If it is not a comp that is good enough.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Looks good to me.
    If you feel disappointed I’ll swap yer for my Brno.
    I’ll even throw in the small shooting bags filled with bean bag balls you can use as a head rest if you need a nap.

Boolit Man
    Im using the deluxe with the carry handle as i like the stiffer rear bags

https://protektormodel.com/collectio...e-bee-rear-bag

Boolit Grand Master
    Charlie, another Proteckor user here. I filled mine with the plastic pellets used for injection molding. Lighter than sand and work well for my needs. Not sure your rear bag is the problem though.

Still impressed with the groups you are posting!!! Nice job.
    Don Verna

Thanks for the bag info fellas... I ordered this one...

I have made my bag about an inch taller than what they have for sale, if I need to I can elevate this one as well.

A little 'tip n trick' thing I discovered the other day...I like to shoot with the targets against a good fresh piece of corrugated board (cardboard), it allows clean cut holes in the targets.
    As you have seen, I built the target backstop (white) board in front of the metal catcher to use a 14" x 22" target...horizontal. Now I'm using a target similar but vertically mounted. That way I have to come up after shooting three lines & raise the target to shoot the bottom three...

I found that by bending a large paper clip like this...taking my pocket knife and slicing into the backer-board, I can slip a paperclip in there and have enough tension to hold the target...

Makes it easy to move the paper up higher and get back to the shooting before the barrel cools enough to change where the groups are hitting...

You might be wondering why I have the white board in front of this catcher, it's opening is 2' x 3'...

The reason for the white board is that when I am shooting the Savage MKII using the peep and globe my field of view is about 3.5' wide. Having all that brown from the RR ties in the background I couldn't see well enough to balance the globe in the rear peep sight...

The camera lens makes it look a little tighter but the eye sees much wider in that peep, anyway...you can see here where the white of the backstop is so important.

It's going to be no shooting for a couple days...we have wind, lotz of wind...must be a front moving by out in the Pacific?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

You have an awesome setup there! My rest system is very primitive and is something I need to improve on. You are giving me ideas and motivating me to get on with it. Just so many other things that need doing too and now I've been called back in to work for a while. That's a double edged sword - earn some money but lose some time.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I HADN'T PLANED ON SHOOTING TODAY... but...I had the idea of getting some data on the wind...something I was going to wait till summer to do because it's more steady then.
    Trouble is today...the dang flags almost never agreed with each other...

Glancing over to the right where the flag pole is, I could see that it was steady coming out of the WSW but varying, almost a full flag's worth...but down on the range below it was 'Switchback City'!

I shot for the 'X' and didn't try to use any Kentucky Wind-age on purpose, just wanted to log what the wind will do and study the results...

I see a few that validate each other but not nearly as many as I hoped to see...this kind of data is going to be hard to get accurately.

"I feel sorry for all you fellas that have to compete with the wind as a factor...this is not going to be an easy thing to master!"

Boolit Master
    I HADN'T PLANED ON SHOOTING TODAY... but...I had the idea of getting some data on the wind...something I was going to wait till summer to do because it's more steady then.
    Trouble is today...the dang flags almost never agreed with each other...

Glancing over to the right where the flag pole is, I could see that it was steady coming out of the WSW but varying, almost a full flag's worth...but down on the range below it was 'Switchback City'!

I shot for the 'X' and didn't try to use any Kentucky Wind-age on purpose, just wanted to log what the wind will do and study the results...

I see a few that validate each other but not nearly as many as I hoped to see...this kind of data is going to be hard to get accurately.

"I feel sorry for all you fellas that have to compete with the wind as a factor...this is not going to be an easy thing to master!"
    If it isn't dead calm the bench rest is a wind reading comp.

If you used Kentucky windage for what you thought the wind was I think your score would have been worse.

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 05-11-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

This is why you want either small round groups (all inside the dark green inner ring). Or a slightly vertical group with the sides narrower then the dark green inner ring and the vertical spillover a little larger (max) then the dark green inner ring.

This takes head & tail winds out of play. They always drive the bullet strait up or down.

Right now your running with a horizontal group a little larger then the dark green inner ring. This makes reading shots extremely hard. This would make target #6 for example correct. How do you know if that shot wasn't at the extreme left of your group and the wind drove it down??? Same with target #10, perhaps that was a shot from the right side of your horizontal group to begin with???

FWIW:
    A 5mph wind is very favorable shooting conditions. You shouldn't see you bullet move more than 1 bullet hole/bullet width from the 5mph wind. You should be able to take a 5-shot group overlay (clear plastic with black outline holes) and put it on every target and see the affects of the wind. Keep in mind that head and tail winds with cross winds (swirling) will add to the mix.

Example:
    you have a tail wind @ 10' and a cross wind left to right showing @ 50yds. You bullet will be high right. Targets #1 thru 5 very well could be showing this. If the tail wind is stronger then the angled left to right the shots will not be as high but they will still be above the centerline of your groups.

Anyway if your shooting horizontal groups it's always harder to read/understand/correct what the wind does. You basically have 10 positions of the clock that will be magnified by the wind. With vertical groups you only have a 6 o-clock & 12 o-clock wind that will magnified.

Shooting in the wind is one of the things I have to address this summer. Summer tends to be the time when the steady wind, a more dependable wind is coming up out of the valley below.
    This would be the optimum time to gather data, lots of data before I try to actually shoot the wind for a good score.

Right now...I'm still concerned with trying to get these 'so-so' groups down to a desirable size and shape. That is a 'Job of Work' in itself.

Thanks for all the helpful input you fellas are offering up in this journey.
    It seems that every time I think I've made a 'milestone' in progress, all that I have done is to discover so much more to consider, so much more to learn.

It gives me a deep respect for them out there competing and even more respect for the 'skill-sets' they have developed.
    Last edited by OS OK; 05-12-2021 at 11:58 AM.

I found a few interesting things going on with my CZ MTR. I posted about them in another thread rather than hijack this one any further than I already have.
    I could use some help with testing procedures outlined in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I found a few interesting things going on with my CZ MTR. I posted about them in another thread rather than hijack this one any further than I already have.
    I could use some help with testing procedures outlined in the other thread.
    tazman... I don't consider anything you fellas post here hijacking the thread...only a change of subject by looking at another rifle & circumstance.
    If you have a new thread, that's fine but give us a link...OK?

You guys can post anything you like here so long as it's about the .22lr on the Bench. Were all trying to learn together.

tazman... I don't consider anything you fellas post here hijacking the thread...only a change of subject by looking at another rifle & circumstance.

You guys can post anything you like here so long as it's about the .22lr on the Bench. Were all trying to learn together.
    Thanks, OS. I wanted to but didn't want to hijack either so I didn't. Besides the fact that my groups might be the same as yours, they're at half the distance, you know, so there's that. Actually, even then, my groups are nowhere near yours!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Thanks, OS. I wanted to but didn't want to hijack either so I didn't. Besides the fact that my groups might be the same as yours, they're at half the distance, you know, so there's that. Actually, even then, my groups are nowhere near yours!
    I think at this point...it ain't about my groups. It is about how to get there...all the things we have had to look at that go into the making of a group.
    Some might think it's as simple as finding the node but as we have seen...there's so much more that goes into the making of a node. Stock & bedding & torque on action screws...the equipment we place the rifle on...bags & there's the shooter and his influence. This is a deep RabbitHole.

The more everyone shares in this thread the better as far as I can see.

Here is the link. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...17#post5188017
    Last edited by tazman; 05-14-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Your link taz... Interesting issue with my CZ 457 varmint MTR
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...57-varmint-MTR

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast