RotoMetals2PBcastcoWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Squires Bingham Mod 20

Boolit Master

Squires Bingham Mod 20

I stumbled into the local pawn shop today looking for a beater 22. They had a Kassnar Imports Squires Bingham model 20.
    Does anyone have experience with this rifle?
    This particular gun looked to be loved but functional.
    No clip but it appears they are available on line. $125 out the door was the asking price.
    It almost left with me but I thought I would ask here first.

Is that a semi-auto? I think I've got one that is a 20P made by Armscorp and uses a straight line 10 round magazine. I only have the one magazine. Mine is very reliable, accurate, and reminiscent of shooting an M1 Carbine. The magazines are listed by Numrich Gun Parts Corp. in 4 or 5 versions with only one being not listed as "out of stock." $125 is ballpark for a .22 in decent shape, considering that you'll have to find a magazine.

DG

Boolit Master
    It is a semi auto. This one is made by Armscorp. From what I have read they were sold by Kmart and possibly other retailers. The guy at the pawn shop was telling me magazines were available for around $25 on line but I am only finding them for $50+
    I have looked at recent completed auctions and these have sold from about $110 up to $400. I'm guessing I'd be into this around $200 by the time I get a magazine for it.
    I wouldn't even be looking if I hadn't read a thread about buying a .22 in '22. It would be a tragic oversight to not get a 22 this year.

Well...that's a good one, a .22 in '22!! The calibers will just get bigger as the century progresses.
    Anyway, I think that they're a pretty good little rifle.

DG

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I stumbled into the local pawn shop today looking for a beater 22. They had a Kassnar Imports Squires Bingham model 20.
    Does anyone have experience with this rifle?
    This particular gun looked to be loved but functional.
    No clip but it appears they are available on line. $125 out the door was the asking price.
    It almost left with me but I thought I would ask here first.
    They were called Sterling in Australia , made in the Philippines ,good honest rimfire rifles .chambered in 22LR and 22WMR .Model 20 was a semi auto from memory .
    Sold by Kmart here in Australia until the big firearms steal by the Howard Govt.Kmart used to sell a lot of sporting goods tools etc, but now just sells toys , and house stuff here.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember them advertised in Shotgun News back in the '70's

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought one from Kmart or coast to coast back in the early 80's. It functioned just fine and encourage to boot. Traded it off decades ago. Almost had a grey stain color on the wood if I remember. It had a hooded front sight. Think I paid $69 or a little more for it brand new. I remeber shooting a rabbit with it at a little over a 100 yards. Impressed the heck out of my dad at the time.

Banned

One of these was my boyhood rifle and I shot tens of thousands of rounds through it. As stated, it's a surpisingly well made and accurate rifle.

K-Mart used to sell these with 15 round magazines and I have a half dozen of those around somewhere. Not letting mine go, but about a year ago, I purchased one of the newer Armscor youth bolt action rifles Atwoods was selling dirt cheap. Good little rifle (I think it is called the 14Y like the Marlin boys rifle) and while I have not held two up side by side, I am absolutely convinced that it uses the exact same ten round magazine, so contact Armscor if you need a mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    One of these was my boyhood rifle and I shot tens of thousands of rounds through it. As stated, it's a surpisingly well made and accurate rifle.

K-Mart used to sell these with 15 round magazines and I have a half dozen of those around somewhere. Not letting mine go, but about a year ago, I purchased one of the newer Armscor youth bolt action rifles Atwoods was selling dirt cheap. Good little rifle (I think it is called the 14Y like the Marlin boys rifle) and while I have not held two up side by side, I am absolutely convinced that it uses the exact same ten round magazine, so contact Armscor if you need a mag.

Is there anyway you could compare the magazines of your rifles and see if they are interchangeable? That would eliminate any concern I have with buying the rifle. (Other than loosing it in a canoe accident on the way home)

Banned

I'll see if I can find one of the old ones.

Those rifles have an L shaped firing pin, which is pretty stout, but one doesn't have to be a mechanical engineer to see it is a weak point. The manufacturers cut a little relief in it, but after several years of me shooting the hell out of it a crack did develop in it. Dad rounded up a replacement firing pin somewhere when it did.

I have one of their bolt actions in .22 WMR from the same era, not as impressive a rifle in most respects, but decent and I killed all kinds of stuff with it.

There it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007208.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	303602 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007210.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	303603

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    There it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007208.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	303602 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007210.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	303603

DG
    Looks real similar to the one I just bought. Still trying to find a magazine for it.
    What is your stock made of? Mine is dark like that and has a grain to the wood that looks like mahogany.

Mahogany is probably a good guess.

DG