Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new 45 ACP mold

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a new 45 ACP mold

I'm trying to decide between a 230gr RN or a 200gr SWC.

I think I would prefer the lighter SWC, but I've got a lot of 45's and don't tailor my loads for each pistol. I'm afraid the SWC might require different COAL to feed in some of them. Particularly I'm worried about my Sig P220's, google "p220 SWC" and you will find lots of reports. I figured if that is a real thing, the people on this board would know.

So should I play it safe replicating ball ammo, or take a shot on one of the most popular target loads.

Boolit Master
    I cast Miha’s MP 454-200 for my dad at around 200gr and he’s never complained about his Sig or 1911 having any issues much less feeding. This is his preferred bullet for timed competitions so if he had any hang ups he would have let me know.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/11057/

I’m pretty fond of the classic HG #68 myself though. Feeds my 1911 and Glock 21 with no issues.

MP Clone:
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...pb-hg68-6-cav/

I suspect some of the decision will come down to intended purpose too. HP 200 with a soft alloy will knock a bowling pin off a table really well but the 68 will punch paper cleaner.

Boolit Grand Master

Tom at Mountain Molds made me a 220 grain TC bullet mold, which I use alot in my 45 autos.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Mostly these days I shoot at a plate. I'm glad to here your dad's experience with his Sig's has been good. I'll likely go with something from Mihec, I've bought a couple of his mold's before. I've lost my 9mm mold, but still have my 434-256 hollow point mold.

Boolit Master

Get the old classic H&G 68. 4.0 grains of Bullseye, seat to 1.250 oal, taper crimp to .470 or a little less. Nice moderate load, doesn't beat up your gun or yourself. Can't remember a malfunction in any of my 1911's in thousands of rounds. However, I don't have a Sig, so can't vouch for that one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mortre View Post
    I'm trying to decide between a 230gr RN or a 200gr SWC.

I think I would prefer the lighter SWC, but I've got a lot of 45's and don't tailor my loads for each pistol. I'm afraid the SWC might require different COAL to feed in some of them. Particularly I'm worried about my Sig P220's, google "p220 SWC" and you will find lots of reports. I figured if that is a real thing, the people on this board would know.

So should I play it safe replicating ball ammo, or take a shot on one of the most popular target loads.
    The early XD45 pistols would not work with SWC boolits. The extracted brass would come back and peel the brass back from the case mouth. It was due to the geometry of the feed angle and the extracted casing. The problem was solved with the XD(M) series. With the early XD45 pistols you couldn't have that exposed shoulder of lead and brass.

Beyond that one example I've never had a problem shooting the standard SWC boolits in any 45 ACP. That includes the Lyman 452460, the H&G 68 and myriad clones, or the Lachmiller/Ohaus/RCBS 200 SWC style.

One boolit I like to play with is the 155-160 gr SWC boolits. They can and do have feed problems in some firearms. I've got SWC molds in 155, 160, 170, 175, 180, 185, 190, 200, 210, 215 gr. Only the lightest three have any real problems.

Personally, I'd look around for a RCBS 201KT or get an Accurate 45-200E. I have the 201KT, I actually have a pair of them. One of these days I'll order that 45-200E.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I have three molds most used for 45 ACP. I have a Lyman 452460 200 gr. SWC (H&G 68 clone) Very accurate and easy to cast. Works well except doesn't feed 100% in my Ruger P90. A Lyman 225 gr 452374 that also casts well and works very well in my 3, 45 ACP guns. And a Lee T/L 452-230-2R that feeds in all 3 of my guns ant it works well dip lubed in 45-45-10. All my 45 ACP bullet are cast from my "Mystery Metal" of about 11-12 BHN...

During a couple of the LA riots I carried a 1911 loaded with "upper loads" of Unique under the 200 gr SWC. I felt safe...

OOPS, almost forgot my Lee 452-200-SWC. I get good bullets/loads with that one too...
    Last edited by mdi; 02-26-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I've been loading the RCBS 45-201-SWC, which is a copy of the H&G68, to 1.215 OAL. That leaves just a bit of driving band exposed, maybe .010. It feeds lovely in my Springfield milspec.

That said, I'd get a copy of the Lyman 452374 and be done with it. Ball ammo works in everything, with every type mag, with every feed ramp design.

Boolit Grand Master

200 grain SWC or truncated cone .
    My first 45 acp mould was a 230 gr. RN , then got into NRA Bullseye Target Shooting , the 230 gr. was dropped like a hot rock , a Lyman 452460 , 200 gr. SWC , quickly filled it's place and I have never cast another 230 RN . The Lyman 452460 feeds in all 5 1911's I've tried them in .
    Another boolit that looks good is Lee 452 - 200 - SWC , which to me looks more like a truncated cone ... but I like the looks of it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the Lyman 452460, which looks awful short when loaded; but it feeds fine in my Kimber. It isn't a clone of the H&G 68, but it works in my gun and I have three of them (2 DC and 1 4C).

The good thing about the H&G 68 is the meplat hits the feed ramp just like .45 ball, so it is likely to work in most unaltered 1911's, if you can find one these days.

As to a SIG P220 and SWC, in the late 80's a friend and I shot an awful lot of generic bought from the gunshow in baggies .45 acp SWC through his 220. I knew nothing about mold numbers then, but thinking back the bullet looked a lot like a 452460.

More boolits per pound with a 200 vs a 230 grain, even though mine weigh 207. Still lighter.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Follow up on me earlier post:

Just got off the phone with my dad and inquired to what 45 cast I’ve made for him that his 220 likes and he said that none of the 45s I’ve given him have had any issues in his. This is his EDC gun and he likes to take it to range a long and he has fed it HG68s, HG130s, and MP452-200 with no issues in any of them and all came out very accurate.

As for Mods to his 220 all he has done is some light throat polishing and he had Sig install the short reset bar.

Hope this helps. If you need, shoot me a PM and I can throw some samples in the mail for you.

Boolit Master

Lee 450-200 1R and 450-200 1R HP. Both of those are tapered base, designed for use in an 1858 Rem Percussion copy, both cast about 453 at it's widest, .452 at the base. Sure, they stopped making the HP version a long time ago, mine was found in a 'mountain man supply' store having sat on the shelf since the mid 1970s. Original price then was $12.98 and that is what I paid for it. They size to .452 just fine.

For a while, I was making/using plain base gas checks, and they were screamers in a 45 Colt Single Shot Carbine. I think I still have about 500 cast/checked/lubed from before I started ASBBPC on everything. My most used mold it the Lee 452-230 1R, first mold I bought for a SA 1911. I collected more molds in 45 than any other caliber even though I continued to predominately use the 230 RN. Load is 6 gr of Unique, same for the 200 RN and the Lee 200-452 SWC.

The SWC shot fine but wasn't my cup of tea. After 25 years of non-use, I horse traded some things for the SWC mold and a set of 45 ACP dies. This was during the last component/equipment shortage for a member here, a Marine returning after his 8 year hitch. I had some 45 GAP dies and now use those to load my 45 ACP. It's the same as using 38 SP to load 357 MAG. just need to adjust the dies. I came out with a few things I could use, a couple of molds for 41 MAG and 44. Lee doesn't make a 44 WC mold any longer and my Wife had picked up a Ruger 3.75" SBH she just loves. The 429-208 WC is a tack driver, I haven't cast/shot any of the Lee TL 410-210 SWC as of yet as I haven't any empty brass, but do have the SAECO 415 (410-220 TCGC) loaded in all of my brass. My S&W M57 and Marlin 1894C loves that boolit.

Oh, almost forgot, the 454 RB actually loads and shoots fine through the 45 ACP and Colt Carbine, didn't shoot many through the Ruger OM Vaquero. I had to try, it was a fun but goofy range day
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    That is very generous and I appreciate it, but I think I'm willing to chance a SWC mold at this point. Most of our 45's are 1911's, and one of the P220's has a semi-permanent 22lr conversion on it. It's got the older folded slide with an internal extractor. That's a hard to replace part and the gun has sentimental value. The other is newer with the external extractor, so hopefully it's not a problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have three molds most used for 45 ACP. I have a Lyman 452460 200 gr. SWC (H&G 68 clone) Very accurate and easy to cast. Works well except doesn't feed 100% in my Ruger P90. A Lyman 225 gr 452374 that also casts well and works very well in my 3, 45 ACP guns. And a Lee T/L 452-230-2R that feeds in all 3 of my guns ant it works well dip lubed in 45-45-10. All my 45 ACP bullet are cast from my "Mystery Metal" of about 11-12 BHN...

During a couple of the LA riots I carried a 1911 loaded with "upper loads" of Unique under the 200 gr SWC. I felt safe...

OOPS, almost forgot my Lee 452-200-SWC. I get good bullets/loads with that one too...
    The Lyman 452460 IS NOT a H&G 68 clone. Not even close. The 452630 comes closer than the 460.

I'm guessing you've never actually seen a true H&G 68??

The 460 has a much shorter nose and two lube grooves. The 68 has a longer nose and one lube groove.

I ordered that Accurate 45-200E this morning. My first Accurate mold.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with the lee 230gr TC and the Lyman 452630.

Burnt Fingers I hope you have good luck with the Accurate 45-200E.I have not had any luck yet with the one i got last fall.The wether turned to cold on me here so i may get a good load for it yet when it warms up a bit.

Boolit Master

Looking for a new 45 ACP mold

Found this on Google. This chart shows several of The Hensley and Gibbs design, second from the bottom is the 68 several have mentioned.

Here is the Lyman 452460 which is closer to the Hg 163

MP 452-200
    Last edited by StuBach; 02-27-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I have had good luck with the lee 230gr TC and the Lyman 452630.

Burnt Fingers I hope you have good luck with the Accurate 45-200E.I have not had any luck yet with the one i got last fall.The wether turned to cold on me here so i may get a good load for it yet when it warms up a bit.
    What problems are ya having? I'd like to know.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    200 grain SWC or truncated cone .
    My first 45 acp mould was a 230 gr. RN , then got into NRA Bullseye Target Shooting , the 230 gr. was dropped like a hot rock , a Lyman 452460 , 200 gr. SWC , quickly filled it's place and I have never cast another 230 RN . The Lyman 452460 feeds in all 5 1911's I've tried them in .
    Another boolit that looks good is Lee 452 - 200 - SWC , which to me looks more like a truncated cone ... but I like the looks of it .
    Gary
    Completely agree about the 452460, although my only experience has been with a Star PD. I use moderate loads that don't beat up the aluminum frame too bad. I still wouldn't want to get shot with one of those, no matter the velocity.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

One of my creations/collaborations: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...52-234-rf-bi2/

I wanted a tumble lube option that was similar to the LBT 452-230 LFN that feeds like greased eel boogers in 1911's, yet does a very good job converting its forward momentum into lateral damage. The clever thing about that design is most guns won't know they aren't feeding ball. While the group buy was being discussed, someone cleverly suggested turing the front TL groove into a roll crimp groove to make it wheel gun, as well as autoloader compatible. Lots of things out there with that general profile depending on your lube method of choice (in either of the bullet weights under discussion).

The 230 grains @ 830 fps formula is a bit of a 19th/early 20th Century throwback to the military concept of "screw you AND the horse you rode in on". If you're casting of an alloy unlikely to expand, there's A LOT of penetration potential there. 200 grains will definitely reduce the recoil some - depending on what you're trying to accomplish.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    greased eel boogers
    That's a new one to me. Are greased eel boogers slicker than calf slobbers or not?

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast