Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer & powder shortage

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Federal Cartridge is 2 1/2 Billion dollars backordered on civilian ammo. Federal is running 24/7 with unlimited overtime. If they stop taking orders today it will take two years to fill. Primers and powder are going to loaded cartridges.

No actually legislation has been moving forward. Once that happens the real panic buying will start. We are maybe 1/4 or 1/3 into this. It's going to get worse before it get better.
    This. People are letting their optimism get the better of them.

It will be years before primer pricing/availability are back to normal, if ever.

Personally I'm expecting never.

They may not get the legislation they want but they will put the manufacturers out of business with regulations. Game over for the shooting sports.

Then possibly a facet of reloading will become primer manufacturing for personal use.

I think that most of the guys here are pretty much set for the long haul. I feel bad for those that failed to learn from the last shortage we had. I got clipped pretty bad on the last one, I shoot in a 22lr pistol club. It was so bad last time that there were weeks that we only had a few guys that could shoot. We paid WAY too much for rounds just to enjoy our little sport. When that one was over I vowed never again to get caught without. I ended up going way overboard in all aspects of our hobby. I tried to warn everyone around me when times were good to stock up. Tried to tell them that they would never lose money buying bullets, primers, powder and 22's. Now I have guys calling, stopping by, texting me wanting to get something. I want to help them all, but at some point you have to draw a line. How long is this going to last?? I'm reading from some pretty reliable sources that this will last at least the next 16 months and probably longer. There is a theory out their that they can skirt the 2nd amendment by killing the ammo industry. Or at the very least tax ammo at such high rates that most will not be able to afford to enjoy the sport. I hope that I am dead wrong, and this will pass and we can get back to some level of normal. Just not seeing those signs out their yet.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Yep...once people stop paying the absolutely ridiculous pricing on EBay, Gunbroker etc..etc...this will stop. Until then best to wait it out.
    Nope. How do people paying crazy prices on the secondary market equate to the primary market being cleaned out? Primers and powder are unavailable because none are being produced for the reloading market. Why sell $100 worth of material to reloaders, when they can assemble and instantly sell it for 5X the profit!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead4me View Post
    I think that most of the guys here are pretty much set for the long haul. I feel bad for those that failed to learn from the last shortage we had. I got clipped pretty bad on the last one, I shoot in a 22lr pistol club. It was so bad last time that there were weeks that we only had a few guys that could shoot. We paid WAY too much for rounds just to enjoy our little sport. When that one was over I vowed never again to get caught without. I ended up going way overboard in all aspects of our hobby. I tried to warn everyone around me when times were good to stock up. Tried to tell them that they would never lose money buying bullets, primers, powder and 22's. Now I have guys calling, stopping by, texting me wanting to get something. I want to help them all, but at some point you have to draw a line. How long is this going to last?? I'm reading from some pretty reliable sources that this will last at least the next 16 months and probably longer. There is a theory out their that they can skirt the 2nd amendment by killing the ammo industry. Or at the very least tax ammo at such high rates that most will not be able to afford to enjoy the sport. I hope that I am dead wrong, and this will pass and we can get back to some level of normal. Just not seeing those signs out their yet.
    I'm right there with you man. I had to draw the line a few weeks ago. I told all these people for the last 5 years to prepare, and NOBODY listened. If it lasts more than another year, I just plan to shoot more bolt, wheel guns and .22 LR. I have a good pile of LP and LR primers.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been amazed at the prices quoted for available components and ammo. I remember when I had to collect 50 pop bottles for a 50 pack of .22 LRs! Now it's $100 for 500!

Boolit Master
    There's no shortage on flint! I bought a flintlock rifle and pistol. Black Powder is easily made at home.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Maybe it’s time think about a flintlock and making your own black powder.

A new crossbow is deadly out to about 120yds. Makes no noise, reuse the ammo and is really kinda fun. But I would really rather have a 1873 in 45 colt any day!!

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Mold
    I try to stay optimistic that supply will become available again . Sadly im new to reloading so dont have a huge supply cache and its a struggle but i make the best of the situation and hunt for available components as much as possible . I only wish id started years ago

Boolit Master
    I've been into reloading for only about 6 or 7 years. I have NEVER experienced a shortage until this one, so for you guys who keep saying "you should have seen it coming" can just keep your thoughts to yourself. I am becoming extremely tired of it.

Second thought, maybe, just maybe, you guys are the very ones who are hoarding and selling on GunBroker?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I'm finding Hornady gas checks almost "unobtainable"?
    Try Sage Outdoors, they make their own. I recently bought some they recommended for 30-30.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I've been into reloading for only about 6 or 7 years. I have NEVER experienced a shortage until this one, so for you guys who keep saying "you should have seen it coming" can just keep your thoughts to yourself. I am becoming extremely tired of it.

Second thought, maybe, just maybe, you guys are the very ones who are hoarding and selling on GunBroker?
    To be fair, if people would stop posting complaints about how the market works I suspect that we’d hear less “you should have prepared.” Just folks expressing frustration, don’t let it get under your skin.

I was as prepared for this as is reasonably possible, I don’t need to change a thing really, so my wife gave me a new rifle in a new caliber for Christmas. Interesting times.

Boolit Buddy
    Good suggestion to scour the estate sales, larger garage sales. I would still check online sources but anything online you are competing against millions of other guys.

As the shooting community grows (great!!) each shortage cycle seems to get worse. After each one I have stocked up even more than before yet the next shortage drags out into a real challenge. 20-30 years ago a shortage meant several months. Now it lasts for 2-4 years. Really feel bad for the guys just getting into shooting or reloading at these times.

Check local estate sales, gather what you can and plan your activities around what you have now for the next two years. Buying ammo may be easier than primers for a long while.

Federal is supposed to be switching over to a new primer compound that is lead free and safer to manufacture. So perhaps at some point they can significantly increase production. Even that would be a fraction of demand.

Remember in 2017 how demand plummeted and the shelves were bulging? Hopefully those times come around again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Good suggestion to scour the estate sales, larger garage sales. I would still check online sources but anything online you are competing against millions of other guys.

As the shooting community grows (great!!) each shortage cycle seems to get worse. After each one I have stocked up even more than before yet the next shortage drags out into a real challenge. 20-30 years ago a shortage meant several months. Now it lasts for 2-4 years. Really feel bad for the guys just getting into shooting or reloading at these times.

Check local estate sales, gather what you can and plan your activities around what you have now for the next two years. Buying ammo may be easier than primers for a long while.

Federal is supposed to be switching over to a new primer compound that is lead free and safer to manufacture. So perhaps at some point they can significantly increase production. Even that would be a fraction of demand.

Remember in 2017 how demand plummeted and the shelves were bulging? Hopefully those times come around again.
    And that is the time to buy all that you can manage!

Boolit Mold
    Exactly what ill be doing if things ever get near back to normal . Until then i stay on the hunt and buy all my pockets allow when i find it
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    And that is the time to buy all that you can manage!

Boolit Master

I recently bought 2,000 30 cal Aluminum checks. They seem to be working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico1791 View Post
    Try Sage Outdoors, they make their own. I recently bought some they recommended for 30-30.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last time this happened a few years ago, Wolf and Tula primers flooded the market at $18/1000. Wideners was a great source for Russian primers. Wish it would happen again; as they were, and are, fantastic primers. I still have a few thousand of the SP, LP, SR & LR on hand. They have served we well during political challenges.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    Last time this happened a few years ago, Wolf and Tula primers flooded the market at $18/1000. Wideners was a great source for Russian primers. Wish it would happen again; as they were, and are, fantastic primers. I still have a few thousand of the SP, LP, SR & LR on hand. They have served we well during political challenges.
    That was more than a few years ago since the Russian Primer import ban took effect under Obama in 2014. Trump did not reverse it.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...pply-shortage/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I picked up some powder and primers from my local guy this weekend. He said that stuff is slowly trickling back in. He is limiting primer quantity for now, but I agree and have no qualms with this move. It allows the opportunity for him to supply his loyal customer base and to keep the gunbroker listings down.
    do unto others................

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    I was one of the “fools” who bought cases of them. Took flack from some folks....probably the same ones who would happily give me $100/k today....IIRC I got some at $16/k.

Primers will come back. I am not worried. Will switch gears for a bit to converse what I have.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast