Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer & powder shortage

Boolit Master

Primer & powder shortage

Hey I've been away from reloading for about eighteen months due to health issues, and am starting to cast and reload again. I have a big pile of boolits, and a small amount of primers and powder. This shortage has me rattled -- I've been looking and finding nothing. Has there been sporadic availability of primers & powder, or just nothing?

Thanks
    Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Some powders available but no primers

Boolit Master
    Actually I was told by guys that bought some that a big load of primers went through Brownells late last week, of course they sold out fast. Keep your eyes open, but have low expectations.

Boolit Master
    Very sporadic.

Most mail order places have notification systems for customers, but, stuff like primers and powders are sold in seconds.

There is a "black market" in reloading supplies and ammo these days. People are buying up the supply and then selling on ebay and similar for large profits. If you don't need the ammo it is best just to wait it out. Things are already starting to look better, but, until the ammo shelves are stocked then reloading components will be slow to show up.

Combined with the recent business changes with Remington being broken up and Hodgdon acquiring more powder brands, there are some slow downs in the manufacturing side.

Yep...once people stop paying the absolutely ridiculous pricing on EBay, Gunbroker etc..etc...this will stop. Until then best to wait it out.

Check out estate sales.
    Heirs keep all of Dad's guns, but I've seen reloading stuff at them before.

Its such a small market for it, most folks will cut a good deal on supplies just to get rid of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

there is no shortage, gun broker has what ever you want, just be prepared for sticker shock.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

An article in American Rifleman this month says ammo shortage will last through all 2021. I expect the same with reloading supplies.

Boolit Master
    Once the scalpers have a pallet of ammo and primers sitting next to the 3 pallets of toilet paper, things will return to almost normal.....

Boolit Master
    I thought that I got lucky yesterday when I found a website with many types of powder and primers. I hurriedly loaded up the basket but soon realized why it seemed so unbelievable ... a mandatory Province field popped up. Oops, it was a Canadian site lol.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

Federal Cartridge is 2 1/2 Billion dollars backordered on civilian ammo. Federal is running 24/7 with unlimited overtime. If they stop taking orders today it will take two years to fill. Primers and powder are going to loaded cartridges.

No actually legislation has been moving forward. Once that happens the real panic buying will start. We are maybe 1/4 or 1/3 into this. It's going to get worse before it get better.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-25-2021 at 11:13 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Powder Valley seemed well stocked on powder today, at least by recent standards.

Reasonably local store is selling Fed LRMP at $40/k, local only and I don’t know about limits. They sold out of LPPs at $100/k.

I'm finding Hornady gas checks almost "unobtainable"?
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Powder Valley seemed well stocked on powder today, at least by recent standards.
    Tonight they have zero primers and zero powder.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Tonight they have zero primers and zero powder.
    Yeah, I stopped watching, but powder was there for hours. Same thing happened on Monday. It’s worth watching them in the early morning if you need powder, but I think the bots are getting any primers that get posted.

Boolit Grand Master

We have a lot of powder, but no primers AND the LGS is selling 22's only 100 per customer per day! I'm not driving 30 miles to buy 100 22's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I'm finding Hornady gas checks almost "unobtainable"?
    I was amazed when I came across 2000 of them in .35 a few weeks ago.......no telling when I will see them again.

Looking into use Gator GC they are just about the same as Hornady , NOE last I know carry them . It been some time I last check. As for primers could look into reload your own there is some post on here on it. Just to give a idea .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

"Yep...once people stop paying the absolutely ridiculous pricing on EBay"

No Primers/Powder/Brass on E bay!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Federal Cartridge is 2 1/2 Billion dollars backordered on civilian ammo. Federal is running 24/7 with unlimited overtime. If they stop taking orders today it will take two years to fill. Primers and powder are going to loaded cartridges.

No actually legislation has been moving forward. Once that happens the real panic buying will start. We are maybe 1/4 or 1/3 into this. It's going to get worse before it get better.
    The above quote is it in a nutshell. During the last shortage, once the supply chain pipelines start to fill up, it doesn't take long for the retailers and web dealers to recover. The problem with this one is the political climate and proposed legislation talk will keep it going for awhile. I do not have any problem with anyone trying to sell their personal stock for whatever they can get (the american way) but the sooner we quit paying $300/1000 for primers the sooner the price will come down.
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast