Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: seating cast in modern seating dies

seating cast in modern seating dies

I don't know how much of a problems this is, or if it's my OCD, but when seating cast in rifle dies, the seating stem is made for a "pointy" boolit, and often leaves a ring in the nose of the cast projectile. I doubt this has much effect on the accuracy of the boolit, but the ring bothers me....This seems more prominent with my 375 H H with the large flat pointed 250 grain projectiles...

Boolit Master

Use some 400 to 600 sand paper on the edge of the stem. Then use a bullet to match up the stem. Just keep sanding and buffing until you get a better match

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Filled most of my seating stems with hard epoxy.

Boolit Master
    I have that problem also , I started using a case neck expanding die like Lyman m dies , and NOE expander plugs to expand the case mouth a little more to help me seat my over size cast boolits with less force . It helps a lot but I still get a little damage on the softer boollits . I haven't tried it yet but I have read about members altering the seating stem profile with hot glue or JB weld or similar fixes .
    Another issue I have had to work out is a few of my seating dies had to be adjusted much higher in the press so the boolits would not get stuck in the die before engaging the seating stem .

Boolit Master

hot glue or epoxy and form to the bullets if your choice.

AND -- if you are crimping, do it in a separate step after backing the seating stem out of the way. jd

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think it depends on the die set in many cases. All I load is cast with the exception of .223 where I load both jacketed and cast. On my other rifle calibers - I either alter the seating stem or cobble something up that works. As already stated - hot glue or epoxy seems to work well to fill the seating stem.

As mentioned above - I never seat/crimp in the same operation - no matter if pistol or rifle.

I seat and crimp 30-30 in the same step. 31141 and lee 309-150-F seats fine using a plug I ground down flat. I had two RN plugs, and I faced one off square and polished it. It seats all flat nosed, cast and jacketed without issue.

If it were me, and a spitzer plug leaves a ring, removing the sharp edge is where I'd start, but I'd likely chase down another plug to convert into flat nose.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-24-2021 at 01:25 PM.

I use the lee expander die and it does well. I dont seem to have problems seating, just dont like how it deforms the head of the boolit....i may try the hotglue trick. I think the wife has one some where....LOL

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how much of a ring you're getting on your bullets, but the faint ring I sometimes get on my .30 cal bullets has no effect on accuracy whatsoever. I agree it's a little unsightly, but try shooting them as-is. If they give you the accuracy you're looking for, then there's nothing to worry about.

Boolit Master
    I am another who reshapes seating stems. Chuck them up in a drill and then use dremel tool to shape (small grinding or cutting bits). When I have the shape I want I sand/polish it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hot glue is fast. It works fine. It is easily removed or altered.
    JM

Boolit Buddy
    NOE makes a adapter to use your top punch in a Lee expander die as a custom seating die.

Boolit Grand Master

Custom fit the boolit to the stem with a small ball of epoxy putty if it is pointed or round nose .
    Any boolit with a flat tip , can be seated with a flat seating stem . Fill the stem with epoxy , glue or putty , let harden , then sand dead flat and level . Now any boolit with a flat can be seated .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    Hot glue is fast. It works fine. It is easily removed or altered.
    JM
    If you use hot glue be sure to use a hard glue , I tried some and the glue had a pliable consistency , like a soft plastic and didn't last long at all before it deformed and came out .
    I have one done with JB Weld epoxy and it's been in service 20+ years .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I use a small lathe to alter the nose profile. If I didn't have the lathe, then JB Weld or like product will do it. When making the impression of the nose in the stem...make sure you have a straight alignment of the bullet to the stem.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    hot glue or epoxy and form to the bullets if your choice.
    +1 On this.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I will admit that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer... sometimes I have to purposely engage my brain... So I took apart my seating die to see about hot gluing a plug in.. I looked at it and thought I bet I can make that in less time over on that big machine you have in the corner.... I go through phases with some of my hobbies, I get distracted fairly easy some time....

I wasn't sure the bronze rod was going to be durable enough, but I've tried it out this morning, and it works like a charm!!