RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Boolit lube has thickened up

Boolit Man

Boolit lube has thickened up

Hi all,
    I’ve been useing Liquid XLOX White label lube and I like it a lot. Last night I went to lube some boolits and the stuff has really thickens up, is there any way to cut it with something to thin it back out?
    Thanks
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Super Moderator

While I don't have the White Label version, I've used the Lee LLA version for many years. If it has dried out you can thin it with a touch of mineral spirits. If it's just cold, you can warm it in a container of hot water. Either way will usually get it flowing again.

Banner Sponsor

I put the bottle in a pan of hot water until it gets liquid, then add mineral spirits and mix well.

Boolit Man
    Well I followed ya’lls advice I put it in hot tap water for about an hr, then I put just a smidgeon of mineral spirits in it and I’m back in business, thanks guys.
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

First- Don't heat the whole bottle of Alox. Only heat a small amount that your going to use.

When the whole bottle is headed, it gets to thick.

Boolit Bub
    I'm using the same lube. And I'm new to this whole casting thing. Mineral spirits have been suggested but it is not legal in my state.

After much research, I purchased and used this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfor...1178/100587591

I've used it once and the results have been very good. I'm sure you will get other good answers as well in these forums. Good luck!

How i warm the small amount i will use. Put some Alox in the red cup. Heat water just below boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Freeman View Post
    I'm using the same lube. And I'm new to this whole casting thing. Mineral spirits have been suggested but it is not legal in my state.

After much research, I purchased and used this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfor...1178/100587591

I've used it once and the results have been very good. I'm sure you will get other good answers as well in these forums. Good luck!
    California keeps sounding worse and worse.

Boolit Grand Master
    ! Ca. outlawed mineral spirits ? !! OMG, is there nothing they won't outlaw?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G. Freeman View Post

Many years ago I worked for a company that used a lot of solvents in the paint department. Our vendor gave me some "charcoal lighter fluid", that according to the salesman, was a mixture of a lot of leftover solvents. I couldn't identify any by odor but it did the job.

For the quantity used, I prefer odorless mineral spirits to cut alox. I use some Alox 606-55 that I bought a large quantity of years ago. I just guess at the amount of mineral spirits. Usually I add Johnson's wax to make a rough version of Ben's tumble lube. Yes! It stinks but I don't object to the odor and never get leading from my .45 ACP plinkers.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    ! Ca. outlawed mineral spirits ? !! OMG, is there nothing they won't outlaw?
    My brother lived in CA for a number of years, and he seemed to think they were ahead of everybody else there. Once we were discussing all the solvents CA had outlawed, and he said that acetone is still legal, because, like, how bad could it be if the human body produces it?

"The human body also produces formaldehyde, but I wouldn't recommend mixing it with your Chardonnay."

Boolit Buddy
    I add Johnson's one step floor wax and a little heat, works perfect.