Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for 1873 Winchester parts

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Looking for 1873 Winchester parts

I always wanted an 1873! I found one a few weeks ago along with some other old rusty guns I bought all in a group. The rest of guns I pretty much have completely restored already. Cold weather lock down put me to work. Just down to an impossible to find part or two missing on them. I saved this one for last because it is missing a lot of parts and has a lot of issues. Don’t know if I will have the budget to do so but figured it’s worth a try. I haven’t even tried removing the side plates yet. Looks like I need the screw to hold in the side plates(don’t know if the side plates are salvageable due to how they are riveted in) a dust cover, a hammer (I would assume some filed it down so see over and installed a rear tang sight as you can see someone cut a piece of the top of the receiver to install it, ill have to find a machine shop to fill it in), a rear sight leaf, butt plate, dust shield, the rear stock had a chunk of wood broken off the bottom. I would assume someone removed the magazine tube? I don’t see weld marks on the barrel where it would have attached. The action works and the hammer will fall when I pull the trigger. The action is pretty hard to cycle and the lever loop droops down and where the bullets are fed into it will stay in if I push it in with my finger. The lever and hammer have been filed down. The lever catch won’t catch on the latch. It needs a lot of help. I can make the metal and wood look like new just need to find some missing parts. I’d really like to save this old 38 WCF and bring it back to life. Hoping someone has a few spare parts laying around. Thanks for any help.

Any ideas how to get the Meg shift rivets out where the screws should be that held the side plates in?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-22-2021 at 10:44 AM.

A few more pictures

Those rivets are a great touch! Gona need to get your drill out. Lever droop is due to the missing screw, hence missing spring that puts tension on lever. I've got a 73 in 32wcf that's pretty ratty but is complete and is a good shooter I'd sell ya.

Thanks for the reply. I sold it off probably a good year and an half ago. Too big of a project for me. I couldn’t figure out how to fill in the part of the receiver that was cut out. My TV went out and figured I would use the coin for a replacement. Bought the gun for about $60 bucks for it at the time and got $860 on gun broker. Mods can close this one.

Boolit Master
    have you tried jack first for parts?