Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: New to reloading for the .32ACP / open to ideas and advise

Boolit Bub

New to reloading for the .32ACP / open to ideas and advise

Hello,

If you have some experience reloading the .32ACP, what brand dies do you have the best luck with?
    I have only reloaded for a few rifle calibers. No experience with pistol / revolver calibers.

Are carbide dies necessary?
    Is it better to use a 3 die set or one with 4 dies?
    What powders work best?
    I have read that folks are having good luck with Lee dies.
    I'm pretty sure I'll do the reloading on a 550 Dillon, but if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.

I'll be reloading for a Beretta Model 81bb

Thanks in advance
    "It's a good day for something"

Boolit Mold
    I use Lee dies. I use 2.5 grains of Unique under a cast lead bullet.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Send me a PM with an email address which can receive large .pdf attachments and I'll send you two Fouling Shot issues having useful info on loading the .32 ACP and an article specific to the Beretta 81 pistol.

Short version, Accurate 31-081H or 31-084H, cast in wheelweights, sized .311, use Starline brass, lube with Lee Liquid Alox or 45-45-10, load 2 grains of TiteGroup, 2.2 grains Bullseye, or 2.5 WST, 231 or 452AA, or 3 grains AutoComp, minimum OAL is 0.955." I use the RCBS 3-die carbide set + Lee Factory crimp.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    The 2 to 2.2 gr of bulseye shoots great. Size to .311 and use the lee fcd . Listen to outpost 75 on the 32 acp everything he says is spot on. I use lee dies they work fine

Boolit Master
    You need carbide and the separate crimp die is better and easier to use and faster to set up. Once you have the crimp die set you don't have to adjust for different bullets<boolits.>

Boolit Grand Master

I reload 4 different semi-auto calibers with 32 ACP at the smallest. Basically they are pretty much the same, reloading wise. Load data for particular bullets (weight and design) is available in every manual I have, so just find a load in your manual before you gather components (I haven't looked at the 32 ACP component availability lately but you will save a lot of headaches and time wasted finding data for mismatched components if you find a load first). I have Hornady dies for my 32 ACP but most of my dies are Lee and you will have trouble finding sizing dies that are not carbide. I just "deflare" all my semi-auto handloads, no actual crimp as neck tension will keep the bullet in place and often crimping can add problems (over crimping can bulge cases and loosen bullet tension). Start with low book loads and use book OAL for your particular bullet. Learn the plunk test to make sure your handloads fit your gun. Most everything else is just regular reloading methods, but with such small powder charges, double check, be extra watchful of all the powder charges. I look in every case I charge with powder to make sure there is some there and not a double charge...

I don't load a lot of 32 ACP ammo, but I have tried JHPs, cast and plated with no specific problems I can remember (cast bullets need a good flare on the case mouth). My biggest "problem" is the small size of the components compounded by my old, fat mechanic's fingers dropping cases and bullets.

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...

https://www.google.com/search?q=plun...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Get a copy of the current Handloader Magazine Feb 2021 #330. It has an excellent article written by Terry Weiland on loading the .32 ACP.

It contains many loads with several bullets and is a very good place to start loading this little round. He used a Beretta for most of his testing.

It should be noted that the .32 ACP and the guns made for it were considered the Ne Plus Ultra of Personal Protection Weapons around the world for most of the last century and especially in Europe. Guns in .32 ACP were made by every gun manufacturer that made Semi Auto Pistols for that purpose. It also should be noted that .32 ACP ammo loaded in Europe was significantly hotter than American made ammo.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have been loading the 32 ACP since 1963, using both cast and 71 gr FMJ bullets. Lyman mold 311252 drops a round nose 75-78 grain bullet that will feed in everything I have tried it in. Any of the fast powders will work: N310, Titegroup, Universal, Herco, Power Pistol, Unique, Green Dot or Red Dot. Loading data is available from all of the usual suspects.

With both 75 grain cast and 71 grain FMJ, I use 2.2 grains of Bullseye or 2.4 grains of HP-38. Start with a few loads below these and work up until your pistol cycles reliably. Since these loads are not appropriate for hunting elephants or brown bears, you really do not need to go for maximum velocity.

I use RCBS 3 piece dies for this caliber but have Lee dies in other pistol calibers and they also work well. Carbide is nice but you will have to load a lot of these little cartridges to wear out a set of dies. It helps to clean your cases before resizing.

Boolit Master
    Be careful if approaching max loads as pressure spikes quickly in these tiny cases. You don't have to have carbide dies but they do make it a bit easier. 4 die sets are easier to adjust but not necessary. I doubt the brand of dies will make a lot of difference.

Boolit Buddy

Before your first trip to the range decide how you're going to catch the fired cases. They are easy to lose.

They are http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=31-084H for the one and they are 81 grs and 84 grs I just show what the site is of the one. but they are for the molds ,both made by the same company
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post
    Before your first trip to the range decide how you're going to catch the fired cases. They are easy to lose.
    You're right about that brass. I use shade cloth from the greenhouse/nursery industry. They replace 100' + pieces occasionally and give it away. The side that was out of the sun is like new. Cut a 10'x10' piece which folds quite small and lightweight to take to the range.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    rudyc if haven't responded to outpost75's offer you are gonna miss out . He has more good 32 info than anyone in the world and that is probably not an exaggeration .