WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paperless society

Moderator Emeritus

The only "D" I ever received was in writing. My penmanship was never good and got a lot worse with some nerve damage. Always printed and still have problems deciphering my own writing. A woman maybe a few years older than me had the most beautiful hand writing. She made it look effortless.

Boolit Master

The computer is a clever toy and I doubt that they will last, just a passing fad. One good EMP will fix things . I heard it said that dead tree tech will come back and things will be fine again.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Most older women have fantastic handwriting. I notice that from the checks they write ,men on the other hand not so much. I have nice hand writing due to the fact one of my friends growing up was a girl she taught me how to write . Now my spelling oh boy that is not good.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Remember the Susan B Anthony dollar????
    It would always get mistaken for a quarter.
    The Susan B Anthony dollars major flaw was it's size. Granted they tried to make it seem different with it's squared sides, but it just wasn't enough of a change to make a difference.

I think the best was when the mint was trying to push the new small size golden dollar coins. You could buy them directly from the mint at cost with free shipping. The mint did this in hopes of getting them circulating so they could phase out the dollar bill. What they never anticipated was the out side the box thinkers. These people were ordering them by the thousands with their credit card. When the order came in the people took them directly to the bank and deposited them to pay off the credit card bill. When people started posting this little "trick" online the mint stopped with the free shipping. Some of those posts people had claimed to have earned multiple first class tickets for anywhere in the world thanks to credit card perks.

Not everyone will be screwed when the paperless system collapses. Only the folks who bought into that BS will be lost. The solution is pretty simple on an individual level. The others? Let me know how they can be helped because I don't see a solution for them unless they want to implement it for themselves. Some folks are just meant to be professional victims and put themselves there.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tai95 View Post
    I'm not sure how this site is on linking other sites, but if you search best buy $2.00 bills you can find a story of a customer getting arrested for trying to pass counterfeit money ie $2.00 bills. They even called the secret service in.

>>>SNIP
    I'm not a big fan of the $2 bill...BUT, maybe I should be?
    I like to use cash most of the time and I do receive two$ occasionally. I am lucky, that in my small town post office, there is a beautiful lady clerk that collects them...and it makes her day when I use them at her window...and no matter how heavy the FRB is, that I'm sending, she will be in a good mode that day
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Remember the Susan B Anthony dollar????
    It would always get mistaken for a quarter.
    As I recall it, they were often called "Susie B quarters."

Boolit Master

I have been in paperless societies.
    When folks can not afford toilet paper and there is no toilet paper in public restrooms you are in a third world paperless society...
    paper is a luxury
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Banned
    Speaking of $2 bills, I doubt this applies anymore but there was a time when the entrance fee at Monticello (The home of Thomas Jefferson) was $18. If you paid with a $20 bill, you would always get a $2 bill (which has Jefferson on it) as change.

Boolit Master

I have a 2.00 bill i put a side. And some silver dollar coins too. The Susan b dollar coins i don't think i have any.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    The wife works at a bank. Some young people do not know how to sign their name...

Boolit Master
    Like everything else in life, there are advantages and disadvantages. I have 512gb microSD cards in my phone & tablet, and just bought my wife a new 10HD Kindle Fire that will also accept that size memory card. I carry a smallish library on my devices. About 13,000 books of fiction, and thousands more of non-fiction related to reloading, shooting, metalworking, gunsmithing, fixing various devices, and so on. I also buy dead-tree books. I'd kind of like to have one of each of everything in both libraries. Though I gotta say, it's a heck of a lot easier to carry 30,000 or 40,000 books in the paperless form. I have been playing with computers since the late 70's, when I build my first computer, a COSMAC ELF. It had 256bytes of memory, and 8 red LED's for output. They've come a long way since then, though I agree that they're not really ready for prime time yet. Neat toys, though!

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I had an appointment with a local surgeon last year. I commented on the pen he was using and he explained to me that fountain pens had become his passion. He explained that after decades of school and private practice his handwriting had become illegible. He had been taught to write fast. He would get calls from the pharmacist asking what he was prescribing his patients. He forced himself to slow down and relearn how to write, switching from ball point to fountain pens in the process. When he handed me my prescription it looked like it had been done by a calligrapher. I almost hated to hand it over to the pharmacy.

Boolit Master

I must be a sadist. I enjoy torturing fast food clerks with Susan Anthony dollar coins, $2 bills and half dollars.

Last month I was at the Doctor. I requested that the RN doing the vital signs use a manual cuff and stethascope. She took my pulse for 30 seconds and doubled to get my pulse rate. She fumbled and stumbled with the simple math of 2X.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    The computer is a clever toy and I doubt that they will last, just a passing fad. One good EMP will fix things . I heard it said that dead tree tech will come back and things will be fine again.
    The computer age has allowed the democratization of information and freed it from the exclusive control of major media companies. While the Big Ones are always trying to consolidate and censor whatever they find unappealing this month, as they say, "You can't stop the signal". Try as they might, they can't make us un-read books just yet.

Just image if you had to, let's say, De-Electronically store all the data in a single hospital. Everything Electronically stored in there? Get out your pen! The efficiency of care would plummet and potential for tampering would be much greater than before.
    Would you like to spend all day searching through filing cabinets, when a computer can find what you need in far less than a blink of an eye?

Whether we like it or not, Some degree of automation is they key to advancement of our society. Save the Tabulation for the Machines and the real thinking to people. That leaves both of us working on our specializations.

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have learned about reloading in the first place! My family was never around firearms, never had an experience with one until a policeman friend of my family took me out to the range when I was young. The Boy Scouts helped to give me the grave respect for firearms that they deserve. I may not have had the chance to get started in this without this "fad".

Some of my earliest memories when I was around 4-5 years old was interacting with my family's thoroughly Baby Proofed Windows 98 machine with a big old trackball.
    My handwriting's pretty poor, so I usually just type things out most of the time. I still write things down on sticky notes and that sort of thing.

I'd say there's certainly room for both paper and electronic info in the future as well.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 02-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Long ago (1960s) baby engineers at MIT were taught a SciFi story about a kid in an advanced society who could do arithmetic in his head. When his elders found out his unique talent, they made him a military top secret and kept him under armed guard the rest of his life.
    Cognitive Dissident

It's only going to get worse. Have you seen what Oregon is trying to promote in their schools? Math is racist. Stressing getting the correct answer is a sign of white supremacy. Don't have a link to share but it's all over the net. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Light attack View Post
    It's only going to get worse. Have you seen what Oregon is trying to promote in their schools? Math is racist. Stressing getting the correct answer is a sign of white supremacy. Don't have a link to share but it's all over the net. Sad.
    https://equitablemath.org/wp-content.../1_STRIDE1.pdf

I believe this is the document you're referring to.
    I really don't know how anyone could expect a math teacher to be simultaneously some wacko activist at the same time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	math is racist perhaps.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	278299
    Here's a little excerpt from the document.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    The wife works at a bank. Some young people do not know how to sign their name...
    I have no doubt that some young people do not know how to sign their name. But I don't attribute that lack of skill to computers, or phones or a trend to go paperless. I attribute that to the fact that there have ALWAYS been idiots.

Part of the paperless society is Big Brother seeing what you are saying and how much you are spending and what you’re buying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast