Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy evilbay buyers

Boolit Grand Master

Crazy evilbay buyers

I go through evilbay from time to time.
    Never know what good deals you might find.
    For some reason, people are buying Lee reloading presses for way over retail prices.
    Sometimes almost double.
    Has to be new shooters, thinking of reloading.
    Good for the seller, but I kind of feel bad for the buyer.
    Other brands, RCBS, Lyman, Herters, others selling for high, but reasonable prices.
    Reasonable because everything reloading is sky high these days.
    I just wonder if this craziness will ever end.

People who waited too long to start are now in panic mode. Wait until they can't get reloading components.

Boolit Grand Master
    It doesn't only happen online. Back when H&R was still producing shotguns that you could buy for less than $100 at Walmart, I saw several sell at local farm auctions for well over a brand new price.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Auctions always bring out the craziness in people who are usually normal.
    East Tennessee

Ab old auctioner's cry was "The more you pay, the more it's worth".
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't waste your valuable time on earth looking at Evilbay!.. I quit it over 3+ years ago. Best decision I ever made.

Most everything is totally over priced (when finally sold)...........it only takes TWO stupids to want ONE thing and the sky is then the limit for price.

I hate auctions ......... of any kind, anywhere, anytime, any shape, & any form. I want touch and feel things and haggle on the price, not try to outbid & snipe the closing price with stupid some stupid person who has more money than brains!

I know.....I know......somebody on here will chime in on the "Deal of a Lifetime" they got on evilbay, but that is a rarity....a one-time thing.

I deal heavily in antique clocks, tools, lamps, and furniture (not guns) and the highest prices in the world are on that stupid site.

Didn't used to be that way, but all the antique malls and store went to listing their really good stuff there and not in their brick-n-mortar locations. There went the prices. When you are selling to the entire WORLD on-line, you will see prices go clear out of reason.....real fast.

Same applies to our teeny weeny little infinitesimal corner of the works called ammo & guns too. Nubees and others just getting into this hobby "WANT IT NOW" and are willing to pay outlandish prices for stuff we all have had for years (at significantly LOWER prices!)

I have a fortune in just molds based on the evilbay prices. Same with load equipment and dies. I am sure not going to sell any to make a quick buck like many are doing. I loose more in change in the couch than that! And it could never be replaced.

Sit tight. Let the storm clouds pass. Prices and supplies will reset themselves to more reasonable levels. History proves it.

Good luck on your island! Been there......(pre-covid)......beautiful place .

banger

Boolit Master
    Ebay is good for antique bike and car parts....saves me the time and cost of going to swaps ,and finding nothing but modern car parts......just this week ,ive bought an oil tank for an old bike for rock bottom price...about 1/4 swapmeet price......Funny thing was ,I bought a dented one about two weeks ago,the seller must have noted the price,and put a good one on ebay at the same buy it now price .....so now I have a good one for way less than market......and a dented one for swaps.

Boolit Master
    Evilbay,, or as I call it,, "sleezebay",,, is here to stay as long as it makes money.

Over the many years,, I have managed to find good stuff not only there,, but in actual live auctions locally.
    But like ANY shopping you do,, you MUST know what you seek, and what current market value is,, and be willing to NOT get caught up in the auction frenzy.
    But,, if you NEED something,, and can't find it elsewhere,, or for a more reasonable price,, then sleezebay is an option.

I also prefer to be able to physically inspect an item prior to a purchase as often as I can. If not,, then I will NOT pay a premium "just in case" it has flaws or isn't exactly what it's described as.

Boolit Master
    I find ebay a lot more reliable than amazon for business purchases. You have to know the market wherever you shop. My last ebay purchase was electrical parts, Zoro was the seller and I got 5% off trade price/free shipping. Best advertised price on the net, delivered 2 days EARLY.

Amazon failed to ship the last order until a day after the delivery date. It arrived 2 days after I drove to town, bought the part and finished the job.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

for as many items on ebay that are selling high, there are other items that aren't.

Today, I just made an offer on a "unused" set of vintage (USA made) Sears Craftsman wood Lathe chisels, the seller accepted my offer and I am buying them for less than the price of the equivalent China made set.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Saturday I won a serious collector press, for 1/10th it's actual value, no bidders.

Boolit Master
    Some sellers on ebay make the mistake of "Here it is,see the pics,if you want it buy it"......I assume theyve been burnt by returns "not as described",but the other extreme means search apps dont find it ......Just like a yard sale .if a seller has interesting stuff,its worth contacting them and asking if they have anything else that might interest you.

It's supporting my reloading addiction. $$$$$$$$

Boolit Master

I buy auto emblems on ebay for my neighbors body shop. They are cheaper than his suppliers. I also get body filler too for him.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Just bought Starrett brand precision tools for machine work at 1/3 of list price from a seller with 20 years of positive feedback - what's not to like?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've gotten a few good deals on evilbay in the past.
    Thing is you have to know what your doing.
    Most of these new reloading tool buyers, just don't know anything about it.
    Kind of feel for them, but live and learn.
    Lots of interesting stuff on there.
    Being on an island, can't drive to the next state to look for stuff.
    evilbay was much better in the past.
    I remember when they first started, you could even find firearms on auction.
    I'll bet they would ban anything to do with hunting, shooting, firearms, reloading, if they weren't making money on it.
    Someday they will fall. Just like amazon.

I have been buying and selling there for over ten years. I have 1000+ 100% positive rating. I have been burned by bad BUYERS twice and never permanently by a bad seller. Buyers have all the power, sellers pay the fees. eBay has helped me make a lot of money flipping things.

Banned
    Ebay is a great resource , quite easy to avoid also . I just don't get the crying . It is a very simple thing , don't look if all you are going to do is get upset .

Boolit Master

What he said.^^^^^^^

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I keep going on there and watching for 10 gauge 2 7/8” Lee loaders. The prices they get for them are ridiculous. I’ll keep using my homemade hand tools until I can get one for a halfway decent price. It’s definitely a great place to get something sold and make money off of it but eBay sure takes their cut. They even eliminated PayPal now and instead of 10% they take almost 13%. You also have to sign up with your checking account to have your funds deposited and withdraw as they don’t let you use a credit card anymore which was a fail safe. If I had fraud I could dispute my card. Probably why ebay did away with it, I sold an item on there a few weeks ago but I they still owe me 113 bucks for a 30-30 lee loader target die set I sold and I haven’t gone through and set my checking account up yet to withdraw funds. I think I’m gonna wait and open up a different account and keep a $25 deposit in it so fraud happens I won’t be out.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-22-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast