Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COVID Problems

Boolit Man
    Couldn't you just get a doctors note to not wear the mask?

When we started the 14 days to slow the curve a year ago I never wore the mask because by NY law wearing a mask while you ccw is a felony. I wasn't gonna break a law to obey a mandate. Then they went and said don't worry about that stupid law and wear a mask no matter what. So I went to my doctor and had him write me a letter saying I was exempted from mask wearing. I get stares from people and every once in a while some one will say something, but I just ignore them and go about my day.

Boolit Master

Pressman
    The quality of hearing aids the VA has these days is fantastic. I can't imagine the civilian clinics having anything better. They must have a dozen models to choose from to tailor to different people requirements. I chose behind the ear and have so far had great results. On the farm I am being smacked by limbs and such have come close to losing one from time to time. I understand the behind the ear masks and how they can pull the hearing aids loose. Which is why I chose the Velcro behind the neck version of the mask. As for contacting the VA when I get put on hold you just have to persevere and wait for what seems like forever but the system does work. You are eligible to get a replacement set every 5 years. I am getting my replacements next month. These will have rechargeable batteries.

gmsharps

Banned
    gmsharps, I understand what you are saying, this pair is nearly 10 years old and long overdue for replacement. I test wore a pair from my usual provider last summer and the difference was beyond remarkable, I really liked them, that is until they told me the cost.

Darn VA won't pickup the phone so I can't get put on hold.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Neighbor I help & who helps me has a Cochlear Implant, her implant processor is magnetically attached to her scalp, plus an earpiece on a short cord goes on her ear; She has to remove it every time she masks or demasks. I suspect that'd be even costlier than a hearing aid, her ex BF has those, so I've seen how annoying this is. There is a laser cuttable deal for attaching masks to to save ears from wear / pain, this might help? You could cut it out of a milk jug or similar stiffish plastic easily enough... Hmm found a collection of items on Thingiverse, take a peek if you want

Collection

Boolit Master
    One place to check for replacement aids is Costco- their house brand is excellent and runs about 1/2 the price of a dealer. Since you are service-connected for hearing, do check with the VA- the aids and all service will be free. If you are close to your local VA hospital or clinic, just walk in.
    Loren, retired VA audiologist

Banned
    Loren, the VA is the plan, but with COVID they are locked down in St. Paul, no walk ins. I need an appointment and they won't answer the phone. Tomorrow is Monday and I will start calling again, someone, sometime has to pick-up that phone.

Boolit Master

If you can get a bluetooth model. I didn't think I would use it that much but it is really nice. I can listen to Pandora in stereo on my hearing aids. Also when you get on one of those calls where you are on hold you just go work on something and listen with the aids because your hands are free. I can also keep working when I get a phone call for the same reason. I can leave the phone across the room if I want to. I got mine from Costco.

Banned

Most hospitals will not let you wear a bandana or those neck gaiters.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Most hospitals will not let you wear a bandana or those neck gaiters.
    That is odd as the gator actually covers more area from your nose down than a mask. They are much more comfortable for me.

Boolit Master

Pressman, I feel your pain.
    I wear both hearing aids and glasses.
    I have had the paper surgical masks with the strings pull mine off.
    I saw it mentioned twice in this thread but will say it again, pull the strings off from the top back, pulling up and away from the hearing aids.
    If I try to remove from the bottom forward the strings will pull the hearing aid off.
    I am not a vet, so I had to pay for mine .
    At $6500 a pair you do not want to lose them.
    Good luck with the VA.

Boolit Grand Master

For that price I’d definitely get with the VA.

I hate wearing masks in general but typically wear an N95 while at work as opposed to the surgical mask.

Maybe one of the fishing type gaiters would help avoid it. The kids have to wear something to school and they typically go for the gaiter style face coverings before the masks. Much more comfortable.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pressman, if the phone doesn't work, maybe try a fax, snail mail, or email?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12