RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor

Boolit Master

Outboard Motor

I will soon be in the market for a small (5 to9 HP) outboard to use as a trolling motor on my 12 foot aluminum boat. I am looking for a 4 cycle model. Any suggestions will be thankfully received. Thanks.
    R.D.M.

I'd look for a place close by that works on them and parts availability.

A bargain priced motor looses a lot of its appeal if you can't even get tune up parts for it.
    Or if the closest dealer/mechanic is 400 miles away.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have a 6 hp mercury as a kicker motor on my 16ft fishing boat, it probably has more hours than the main motor. It is more than 10 years old and has been 100% reliable. Very easy to service, just clear the carb of gas at the end of the day and it will start 1st or 2nd pull every time. It is every bit as reliable as the Honda that is the main motor. The crazy thing is that Mercury didn’t actually make the motor, Taihatsu makes all of Mercury outboards small units. The Taihatsu are generally cheaper than the Mercury. Only difference is the sticker on the cover.

Boolit Buddy
    Honda 7.5 if they still make them. Mine is over 20 years old and still runs well.
    I use mine in both salt and fresh water. But I always flush in fresh water after
    every use.

Boolit Grand Master

My advice is don't get a 4 stroke. There are way too many great 2 stroke small outboards that are more reliable, simpler, less maintenance, less weight, more power. There are no drawbacks to going with a 2 stroke.

Banned

Tahatsu makes all of mercury motors under 60hp. So you can save a litle $$$ by getting one of them. But mercury does use their own tiller handles and some ofthe shallow drives. Some of te small suzuki and i think hondas are also tathatsus. All of evenrudes 4 strokes if they still have any are also tahatsus. Small yamahas are alsotahatsu. Notice any trends here?

Boolit Master
    Evinrudes are all 2 stroke. Always have been.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Seems like you are looking for a lot of motor if you just want to troll with it. A long time ago, I had a 6hp on a 12ft aluminum boat and it would plane off. Now if you need a motor to get you to your fishing spot, I understand, but if you are in rowing distance, why not think of an electric trolling motor?

I'm with Greg. My 16.5 foot the trolling motor gets run more than the 20 hp merc.

But I do have a 48 lb thrust MinnKota, in camo paint job no less.

Unless your normal fishing is BIG water, fresh or salt I'd go with an electric.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I'm pushing a 22 foot fishing pontoon, with a 24 volt/54 # thrust, electric Minnkota. I maintain 2.2 mph, trolling for about 2-2 1/2 hours, with light winds. When the winds pick up, later in the AM, I either switch to the main 115 HP Merc or troll with the electric, against my back. If I don't catch any Stripers, in 2 1/2 hours, it's time to quit, anyways.

Winelover

Banned
    4 strokes are a lot heavier than 2 strokes, something to think about on a 12 ft boat. I have had great luck with Yamaha

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Tahatsu makes all of mercury motors under 60hp. So you can save a litle $$$ by getting one of them. But mercury does use their own tiller handles and some ofthe shallow drives. Some of te small suzuki and i think hondas are also tathatsus. All of evenrudes 4 strokes if they still have any are also tahatsus. Small yamahas are alsotahatsu. Notice any trends here?
    Tohatsu is the largest outboard motor manufacturer in the world. I have a 2 stroke 18 hp (2001) that I am still happy with. It sat for 10 years one time and then started right up.

Boolit Master

I use a electric 30 lb thrust for trolling on my 12 boat. The larger motor is a 6 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I don't use the Yamaha for trolling, but for moving from spot to spot and controlling the boat in strong winds. I have used both the Yamaha and, in the past, a 5 HP Honda 4-stroke. I can recommend both of those. The weight of the Yamaha and Honda was an acceptable 60 Lbs. Yes the 2 strokes are lighter, but the 4 strokes burn cleaner.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy

I have a 2000 9.9 Mercury four stroke that I use on a 17 foot aluminum boat. Our small state lakes require a 10 horse or less motor. This motor will idle down so low that you can almost count the piston strokes and will chug along all day off a 5 gallon fuel tank. It weighs 5 pounds more than the 25 HP two stroke that I switch out for when I'm on the river.

Banned

Always was a merc man. From way back even when I was in the coast guard. Now 4 stroke vs 2 stroke is a sketchy argument. Four strokes are heavier but its a minor differnce when your talking under 10hp motors. Fuel economy is about a wash. newer two strokes are good on gas. 4 strokes a tiny bit better on small motors. But then you dont have to fool with injection oil. Both last a long time. Maybe a small edge to 4 strokes in the smaller motors. Price of a 2 stroke is hands down less. So probably over the life of a motor the higher price of a 4 stroke is ate up by not having to buy oil and a bit better fuel economy.

performance. Big 2-300 hp motors? the 2 strokes have an edge. They just rev faster so accelerate faster. So there at least quicker out of the hole. Under 10hp? again an non issue. If the 2 strokes have an edge the buyer of a 8 hp motor probably doesnt care. Now all that said my choice. i would look at what you boat is rated for max hp and buy that size motor in a 4 stroke unless you cant afford it. If for no other reason there quieter and dont stink and will idle or troll forever without fouling a plug. IF you are weak or take your motor on and off every day maybe a 2 stroke is for you but theres a good reason 4 strokes have about taken over the outboard market today. There not the huge lead anchors they were at first.

Now brand. Like i said im a merc guy. But will say that a honda, yamaha, evinrude, or johnson would be every bit as good. Id stay away from any other brands because you might find yourself some day in a town with a broke motor and no dealer to get it fixed or get parts. Anohter reason would be resale. Tahatsu might make mercs (i dont know) but if im comming to look at your boat im going to pay you more for it if it has a merc on it. Bombardier and Suzuki make good motors too but again people trust mercs, hondas and yamahas over any of the others. Johnson and evinrude are a close second. Ive been around outboards and have owned them all my life and anyone that says a 2 stroke is superior in any way other then 0-30 is smoking crack.

ill say this. My boat is a 21 foot whaler outrage. Its an 89. I bought it used in 98 with a 150 merc 2 stroke carbed motor. Two year ago i swapped it out for a 150 four stroke merc. old motor had 500 hours on it and was TIRED. New motor gets near twice the fuel economy. granted a direct injected two stroke would probably near do that too. It comes out of the hole a bit slower but someone whos never been on still thinks its fast. It will idle all day if i want to troll and even at full throttle you can carry on a normal coversation because its whisper quiet. i asked the guy i deal with at the shop about longevity and he said youll change out to bottom ends before that top end get tired. Id have a 4 stroke kicker too but the old merc 2 stroke is still running good and for the little i use it proabably will last forever. By the way that dealer says today he sells 4 strokes 5 to 1 over 2 strokes.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-19-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    I have a 2000 9.9 Mercury four stroke that I use on a 17 foot aluminum boat. Our small state lakes require a 10 horse or less motor. This motor will idle down so low that you can almost count the piston strokes and will chug along all day off a 5 gallon fuel tank. It weighs 5 pounds more than the 25 HP two stroke that I switch out for when I'm on the river.
    so your 9.9 weighs 5 lbs more than a 25? What a way to make a point

Banned
    I see the OP is in British Columbia. I don't know the rules there but a lot of places frown on 2 stroke boat motors and some places outright ban them. So that may be a factor.
    The small amount of weight difference in the modern 4 stoke verses 2 stokes engines under 10HP, is minimal. So another win for the 4 stroke.
    The ability of a 4 stroke to run at low rpm's without fouling a plug, is also a plus. And the 4 stokes are a bit more efficient. (don't confuse efficiency with power to weight ratio). And there's no need to buy 2 stroke oil for a 4 stroke engine.

A 4 stroke will burn less fuel, for the same amount of power, when compared to a 2 stroke. But the 2 stroke will make more power for the same amount of weight (at the cost of more fuel). In the under 10 HP class the weight difference isn't as big as it was in years past, so that's not a huge issue. In the bigger engines, the 2 stroke starts to outperform the heavier 4 stroke engines .

I agree that a big electric is probably a better bet in most situations. Electric motors have come a LONG way in the last 20 years.

In terms of low maintenance, low fuel consumption, reliability and emissions - the 4 stroke wins hands down in the under 10 HP class.

His choice of a 4-stroke could be because the lake or area he fishes has restrictions on high-emission engines.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    its pretty hard to beat the Yamaha outboards

Boolit Master
    The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft., only about two and a half miles long by seven or eight hundred yards wide. It does however often have some pretty strong winds and if we have to come back to the cabin against the wind, a too small motor is not good. As far as electric, I considered that but the cabin is situated on a flat spot cut (by hand originally) into about a 50% grade and about 50 yards up from the lake shore. I am 82 and my fishing partner is 87 so packing the battery for an electric motor up that bank every day to the gen-set is not appealing. Even worse would be taking the gen set down to the shore. While I am in the process of deciding what to buy, the 5 to 9 HP was/is just a point to consider. I would rather have a bit too much power than too little. I appreciate all the comments and advice, so please don’t stop now. Have a great day.
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast