Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hand Loaders

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Say, uscra112-- there's a subject worth discussing. Now before someone starts yelling "hi-jack!" it is related to the subject of Lee Loaders. What I'm wondering about is so-called "bug out bags." Just how practical for such a purpose would a Lee Loader be? To be useful one would have to take along powder, bullets, and primers, plus a plastic mallet or other whacking device. Although I won't dispute the usefulness of the Lee Loader to take along to the range for a leisurely day of load development, it seems to me one would be much better served to just pack some extra loaded ammo if "bugging out." Personally, I'm not going anywhere; but the thinking in this area is interesting.

DG
    What you save on is the weight of the extra cartridge cases since you can reload them over and over again if you know how.
    That's the way the old Buffalo hunters did it and many of the pioneers who were adept at survival. That's all a muzzle loader is- a gun you reload except you don't use cartridge cases.
    All you need for a flintlock is powder and shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many times I’ve thought about how cool it would be to have a bug out bag that included either a Lee Loader or a 310 Tool and enough components to load a couple of hundred rounds of ammo. Then I ran the numbers. For most handgun ammo, I can carry a couple of hundred rounds loaded for the same weight and space, and if I’m on the go in bug out mode, I would probably figure in favor of more ammo. OTOH, if I were carrying a rifle larger than a 223 or 32-20, the loading kit would make a lot more sense.

Then again, I’m a gimpy old fat man. If that kind of threat arose, the best I could hope for would probably be to die at home in the middle of a large pile of spent brass and surrounded by dead bad guys.

Molon Labe!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    For straight walled cases the Lee loader is an easy way to get into reloading. Maybe a fella with a single shot 45-70 who hunts deer or elk and does not go through many rounds in a year.

Boolit Grand Master
    I found one of the Lee Custom/Mequon sets with the red plastic priming tool for a friend who had been given a Trapdoor Carbine by his boss. Unfortunately, he gave the rifle and loading tool back to the boss’ son when the boss passed away. IIRC, I only paid $5-10 for the like new set, but I wish he hadn’t given it away... I sure can’t replace it for that now!

I have a couple of rifle caliber sets of Lee Loaders, but as I said before, the likelihood of me packing one of these and a rifle and heading off into the wilds seem increasingly unlikely in view of my advancing age and declining physical condition.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-05-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A Lee Loader or other compact loading tool would be more for an extended "Bug Out", mainly because of portability. IMO loaded ammo, 1,000 rounds is my "quick out" stash and is easier to transport than components and tools for an equal amount of handloads (I keep about 800-900 45 ACP and around 1,000 9mm JIC rounds packed and handy (JIC = "Just in Case". Ammo that fits, and performs well in all my guns in that caliber). My "plan" is not to run, but hunker down right here so size or convenience is not a concern. I have my "JIC" ammo for evacuations but anything longer than a short time (up to a couple months) I just pack ammo...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, even though I had “promised myself” I wouldn’t buy any more reloading stuff for a while I stumbled on a flea Bay listing for an old Lee Custom “Unitized” set in 9mm with the full length sizer. It was missing the decapper pin and the flaring tool, but everything else that was supposed to be there except those two items was present, including the instructions and data card And a box in pretty good shape. I wouldn’t have bought it except for the FL sizing die... that’s pretty uncommon in the Lee Loaders. My “perfect set” would be these parts with the addition of the red plastic or pot metal priming tool, but fortunately I have one of the latter so I’m good to go. I may even have to rethink my stance on my bug out bag.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    My “perfect set” would be these parts with the addition of the red plastic or pot metal priming tool,...

Froggie
    Not to be too big of a wimp about a very occasional primer pop, but the primer tool is a near deciding factor for me with Lee Loaders. When they labeled those old sets improved, the priming tool made that too often typical marketing department stretch true for once.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    Not to be too big of a wimp about a very occasional primer pop, but the primer tool is a near deciding factor for me with Lee Loaders. When they labeled those old sets improved, the priming tool made that too often typical marketing department stretch true for once.
    Amen brother, you’ve got a witness! I’m to the point of having a wide enough selection of shell holders and primer punches that I don’t ever plan to seat another primer by the hammer and rod method. Although the latest nine mm set I just bought lacks the hand priming tool, I already found and have been using one of the metal ones, so I’m good.

I’m still trying to track down the history of the Lee Custom/Mequon/Lee Precision companies, but it all seems to fall into the category of Shakespeare’s “Oh, what tangled webs we weave...”

Back to the bug out bag idea, I wonder how many of us are actually are doing this for real and how many are “sons of Walter Mitty”.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Many times I’ve thought about how cool it would be to have a bug out bag that included either a Lee Loader or a 310 Tool and enough components to load a couple of hundred rounds of ammo. Then I ran the numbers. For most handgun ammo, I can carry a couple of hundred rounds loaded for the same weight and space, and if I’m on the go in bug out mode, I would probably figure in favor of more ammo. OTOH, if I were carrying a rifle larger than a 223 or 32-20, the loading kit would make a lot more sense.

Then again, I’m a gimpy old fat man. If that kind of threat arose, the best I could hope for would probably be to die at home in the middle of a large pile of spent brass and surrounded by dead bad guys.

Molon Labe!
    Froggie
    All comes down to how many wheel weights that one can find while walking down the road or in the area. And where one is trying to get to, what will be available there and for how long.

While I could walk the 100 miles to where I'd want to be, if I'd have to shoot my way there I too might as well stay here.

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely Walter Mitty here, Froggie. As you said, advancing age and declining physical abilities severely limit the reality of such action. Hunkering down and supplying guns and ammo to the neighbors is my plan.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    HMMM. I wonder whether I can make a hi cap mag for my 327 FM revolver? Oh wait, that’s why they make speedloaders! Now if I can just get all my friends and neighbors to get the same few calibers of guns to simplify ammo logistics, I’ll be all set.

Anybody ever use one of the Pacific Pakit hand reloading tools ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Anybody ever use one of the Pacific Pakit hand reloading tools ?
    No, but it’s on my bucket list… just not very high on said list.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

I started reloading with a Lee Loader and got occasional to rare primer pops, 38 Special rare but 44 Magnum one out of 80-100 (too many skivvy changes!). I "fixed" the problem by chamfering the primer pocket mouth, the same I did for military brass (60 degree x 1/2" countersink). My 44 Magnum OOPS! dropped to maybe one out of 200 cases primed, and most of the time much less...
    Last edited by mdi; 06-12-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Guys on this SHTF situation. You kind of need to find a place you can get to other than your basement, just in case you get pushed out of your home. Having a Motor Home, Camper or Travel Trailer is a good start. Like if you live in Florida and there's a Hurricane coming you need to leave! There won't be a Hotel Room available for 500+ miles in any direction so where are you gonna stay? Nice to be comfortable? A nice Camper is not hard to outfit and will be alot nicer than a tent.

I had a Big Lance Camper for alot of years on my Dodge 1 ton. I towed my Jeep on it's trailer all over the Western US. I lived in it for 3 weeks once and was never the slightest bit inconvenienced. I was comfortable by myself, but if my wife would have been along it would have resulted in my death.

Now I'd get a Bigfoot or Northern Lights 11' + camper and a new Ram 1 ton. I still have my Trailer and the New Jeep will go on it just fine. So I'd be good to go!

However the only scenario I could see me leaving in would be a Nuclear Attack on Los Angeles, because in any other scenario you'd be competing with Millions of other people who are less well off than you, and probably ready to kill you for what you've got. With a Large Scale Nuke Attack on LA a good percentage of the people would be fried in the blasts, so there'd be less competition and since I'd be going North, I would be avoiding them all together. I'd also be on the road early as it is better to be gone than waiting in line on the Freeway for hours burning fuel and going nowhere. Definitely the way to go for Hurricanes or other Big Weather Events. How many times have you seen pics of the Freeways stopped in both directions with people leaving Florida who didn't get the message or figure it out early enough to be gone.

In case you don't know it,,, all the Freeways leaving LA would be closed so you couldn't leave even if you wanted to, because all the places you could go on those Freeways don't want you to come there and soak up their limited resources that come out of LA mostly! This has been in place for 20+ years, so you'd better have a Backroads Escape Route Planned out, and Well Sussed Out long before you need it.

Where I'd end up is anyone's guess, but where ever I was I'd at least be comfortable. I'd also be well armed and would shoot anyone who got in my way, Including Law Enforcement that is blocking the roads and too stupid to be there,,, instead of being with their families.

Virtually any other disaster we'd be staying home! We had to leave during the fires a few years ago, but we just went to a friends house in Ventura 15 miles away for a couple of days. I drove home every day to check on teh house.

My whole point here is that Reloading Ammunition is going to be the least of your worries! A few hundred rounds for your Rifles, Pistols and Shotguns would last you for the rest of your life. Not like you'd be doing much target shooting?

Something to think about while we are getting ready for the impending apocalypse caused by Joe Biden, who none of us voted for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. get rid of him soon!!!!!!!!!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-12-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Where I live in Central Va, the worst natural disasters we are likely to experience are snow and ice storms in the Winter and severe thunderstorms the rest of the year. The biggest things we need to have at my actual location are alternative supplies of heat and lighting (electricity) and a supply of stored, non perishable food as well as potable water. Again, unless the house itself is so badly damaged as to be uninhabitable, most of my preparations involve “bugging in” rather than “bugging out.”

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    After reading the different responses One would have to make a decision to either hunker down or leave. If you are leaving, leave well in advance of the populace.
    I agree that a person should have a planned route and also a designated place to evacuate.
    I have a place to go. I have also decided if the situation is that bad i have to "bug out" those that stand in my way will be neutralized and since "they" will no longer need whatever they are using; it will go in the back of my truck. Remember the old saying: " If you die first we're splitting up your gear."

Yes; it is very easy to sit and figure out what circumstances would prompt you to leave home. Might be a good idea to think about it a little and figure out what you're going to do about it..

You need to understand that when you leave you can't take everything with you, so lots of your resources are left behind. Good Reason to stay home if at all possible.

Like I said, for me it would take something Big like a Nuke Attack or a Massive Earthquake where part of the state fell off in the ocean to make me leave. "Power Outages" I can live thru. Financial Collapse I can live thru.. People coming to take my stuff I can fight my way thru, and if I don't,,, then who cares.

Our street is a loop in a semi rural area just outside of the City Limits, and our Neighborhood Watch can close off both ends easily in a few minutes. We also have several police that live here, so we can get them to organize the road closure. Most of us on this street are well armed, and the Liberals on the street would get plumbed up pretty quick, that they would either contribute to the Common Defense or be left to fend for themselves. If you won't fight then you can be a Human Shield!

Most people already have enough Emergency Food to last at least a Week or so. Anyone wanting to come into our enclave (relatives of people who live here) would have to show that they can support themselves and contribute to the Common Defense. The Street Barriers would have to be manned 24/7 so they would have to be able to participate with manpower or some other meaningful contribution. Just showing up to free load can't be tolerated. Everyone has to earn his keep somehow.

My whole point of writing this is so that maybe someone reading it will think his strategy thru and be a little more prepared than they were yesterday.

Think about it... It takes no energy and costs nothing to plan for some of the most common emergencies.

There is a sign next to the road near my house and I see it often. It says "Assemble a Kit, Make a Plan."

hope this helps someone.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

We should have put those street barriers up at the Idaho- Oregon border years ago before the state was overrun! Gp

Yeah, and you need one on the Southern Border as well. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that are moving to Idaho. My computer guy just moved there Apr15. I have several friends who already own land there. Most of my friends are card carrying Republicans so you don't have to worry about them. Others maybe you should screen at the border.

You need to put up Billboards at every entrance to the state saying,,,

"If you are fleeing Liberal Run places to come here, leave the Liberal ideas you bring with you, back where you just left. We don't want them here!!!".

But they will come anyway and try to change your place to where it is just like what they just left. Then they will leave and screw up the next place the go to. They are all insane! But they are convinced you are the problem. Watch out when they start getting elected to local positions of authority. That's how they infiltrate and take over your hometown.

The reason I'm not leaving is because before long all the liberals will have moved out of California and gone to Idaho ! Then I can have my home back.

Randy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast